Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
$330,000 Judder bars according to Luxon..
Apparently this is what it costs to install judder bars, not sure where he gets his source from for that cost, also unsure if thats the cost to do a street or per judder bar, but either way thats pretty expensive.
All they are is a few cubes of hotmix, how much does that stuff cost per cube I wonder?
He says he will redirect that money to fix the potholes on our roads, but the cost to fix all our potholes would still cost far more than what judder bars cost, even at that price.
They were saying on the radio that its going to take 10 years to fix them all. Cant say potholes are exactly anything new to NZ, they almost seem to be part of our culture, but they are definitely worse than in the past.
(18-07-2023, 10:45 AM)nzoomed Wrote: Apparently this is what it costs to install judder bars, not sure where he gets his source from for that cost, also unsure if thats the cost to do a street or per judder bar, but either way thats pretty expensive.
All they are is a few cubes of hotmix, how much does that stuff cost per cube I wonder?
He says he will redirect that money to fix the potholes on our roads, but the cost to fix all our potholes would still cost far more than what judder bars cost, even at that price.
They were saying on the radio that its going to take 10 years to fix them all. Cant say potholes are exactly anything new to NZ, they almost seem to be part of our culture, but they are definitely worse than in the past.

No doubt that has all the gravity & truth of any promise made by any politician this close to an election.... Rolleyes Big Grin
in order to be old & wise, you must first be young & stupid. (I'm still working on that.)
(18-07-2023, 10:45 AM)nzoomed Wrote: Apparently this is what it costs to install judder bars, not sure where he gets his source from for that cost, also unsure if thats the cost to do a street or per judder bar, but either way thats pretty expensive.
The bars themselves probably cost a few thousand to install.  The rest is the planning, consulting,  koha, resource consents etc.
Question time was fun. How many pot holes has Waka T fixed...

Such important things for the Opposition to focus on.
If they got rid of the judder bars on the North Shore - who knows what they might find?  A smoother footpath is almost inevitable no matter what they do. . . . . . any change short of buried large explosive charges would just naturally fill a few holes and knock off a few lumps. Just think, then householders could plant their bins on the footpath without fear of turning an ankle en route.
Ninja Dance Angry
Entropy is not what
it used to be.
How many road cones to install judder bars? So much other crap is added to a small job it triples the price. I've been watching Well do some stuff around work these days. The Well trucks roll up at 8.00am, they sit around until the road cone guys and girls come at 9.00am to make road blocks...and at about 10.00am the Well engineers come out for a confab. A bit later the Well trucks come out and do their 30 min job...and it's all done !

Fix the pot holes, and what happens to all the road repairs going on in the East Coast ? And they need to take a look at Fulton Hogan, they seem to have a monopoly on road works....and I thought that was frowned upon.
In and out of jobs, running free
Waging war with society
Don't mention Fulton Hogan cone trucks to me. One of those damned fools parked on the footpath and I had to go off road to get past him. Bastard. I had just cleaned my tyres...
(18-07-2023, 06:50 PM)Oh_hunnihunni Wrote: Don't mention Fulton Hogan cone trucks to me. One of those damned fools parked on the footpath and I had to go  off road to get past him. Bastard. I had just cleaned my tyres...

I bet he wasn't parking on the footpath simply to be a nuisance (that's just a bonus). As a good company man, he was loyally parking his truck on the footpath because - guess who gets the job of fixing the cracked pavement?
Sad
Entropy is not what
it used to be.
(18-07-2023, 06:50 PM)Oh_hunnihunni Wrote: Don't mention Fulton Hogan cone trucks to me. One of those damned fools parked on the footpath and I had to go  off road to get past him. Bastard. I had just cleaned my tyres...

We have had an influx of these damned hire scooters here in Napier. People just leave them anywhere, frequently on and across the footpath. They really are a pain in the arse, especially in the winter when going on the grass is fraught with danger of a wheel sinking in soft stuff.
Corgi Wan Kenobi is watching you!
There should be no judder bars on public roads. Full stop. The rate/taxpayers pay to have them installed. Then every motorist who drives over them has unnecessary wear and tear on their car forever. Not fair. They are only "needed" where there is a problem with people going too fast and are another example of the innocent having to pay for the crimes of the guilty. The guilty need to be ticketed - make them suffer a consequence for change, and get some more money into the public coffers to pay for pavement maintenance (both road and footpath).
Unnecessary wear and tear on the cars? Trust me, the roads ANYWHERE are in a lot better condition than the footpaths that we have to use...
Yes, you have tyre and suspension wear as you go up and over. How much depends on the speed at which you do it, and if done carefully it's negligible, but if you live down a street with several, over years it must add up. And I forgot the fuel cost of the stop-start driving needed - the slower you go over the bumps, the more the fuel cost over time.

Yes, the footpaths are also a mess and I included them in what money should be spent on. Like most motorists, I park where I can and do the actual errands on foot so have walked most of the streets of our cbd recently. And they are shocking. I grew up with a disabled mother so am well aware of the impact of even a small bump in the surface. Ours are so bad you could barely call it a surface on the street behind the shops (where there's a doctor but you have to walk to the main street for the pharmacy)
(19-07-2023, 09:57 AM)SueDonim Wrote: There should be no judder bars on public roads. Full stop. The rate/taxpayers pay to have them installed. Then every motorist who drives over them has unnecessary wear and tear on their car forever. Not fair. They are only "needed" where there is a problem with people going too fast and are another example of the innocent having to pay for the crimes of the guilty. The guilty need to be ticketed - make them suffer a consequence for  change, and get some more money into the public coffers to pay for pavement maintenance (both road and footpath).

Except, some of those innocent are the ones paying with their lives for the speeding, or permanent injuries -and the hospital system or ACC pays for the ongoing care...

yes not fair...  

Judder bars are a prevention measure - ticketing the guilty is the ambulance at the bottom of the cliff...
This world would be a perfect place if it wasn't for the people.

Sharesies | Buy Crypto | Surfshark VPN | Cloud Backup
(19-07-2023, 12:26 PM)king1 Wrote:
(19-07-2023, 09:57 AM)SueDonim Wrote: There should be no judder bars on public roads. Full stop. The rate/taxpayers pay to have them installed. Then every motorist who drives over them has unnecessary wear and tear on their car forever. Not fair. They are only "needed" where there is a problem with people going too fast and are another example of the innocent having to pay for the crimes of the guilty. The guilty need to be ticketed - make them suffer a consequence for  change, and get some more money into the public coffers to pay for pavement maintenance (both road and footpath).

Except, some of those innocent are the ones paying with their lives for the speeding, or permanent injuries -and the hospital system or ACC pays for the ongoing care...

yes not fair...  

Judder bars are a prevention measure - ticketing the guilty is the ambulance at the bottom of the cliff...

When some form of judder bar is genuinely needed for safety, fine. But the vast majority are there to make people travelling legally at 50kph go slower, or to discourage people from using a road that might be the most practical and direct route to their destination. Ticketing people is also a prevention measure. It gives them a consequence of their actions, something that seems to no longer be part of our social expectations.
(19-07-2023, 01:11 PM)SueDonim Wrote:
(19-07-2023, 12:26 PM)king1 Wrote: Except, some of those innocent are the ones paying with their lives for the speeding, or permanent injuries -and the hospital system or ACC pays for the ongoing care...

yes not fair...  

When some form of judder bar is genuinely needed for safety, fine. But the vast majority are there to make people travelling legally at 50kph go slower, or to discourage people from using a road that might be the most practical and direct route to their destination. Ticketing people is also a prevention measure. It gives them a consequence of their actions, something that seems to no longer be part of our social expectations.

If ticketing was a prevention measure the roads would have been safe a long time ago, and no-one would be speeding anymore - besides if they made greater use of fines then without doubt a certain segment of society would start complaining about the excessive use of fines and relentless profiteering to fill government coffers...

But yes imho the rest of us should be forced to be inconvenienced a tiny wee bit by judder bars if it means that roads are safer and one less person dies - I have no issue with that at all...
This world would be a perfect place if it wasn't for the people.

Sharesies | Buy Crypto | Surfshark VPN | Cloud Backup
(18-07-2023, 01:05 PM)Wainuiguy Wrote:
The bars themselves probably cost a few thousand to install.  The rest is the planning, consulting,  koha, resource consents etc.

If thats the case, there needs to be a way to eliminate this kind of wasteful spending, too much red tape it seems, although i think installing a speed camera would probably cost less and at least generate revenue!
Every week on our local farcebook group someone reports the position of the camera car, and someone else calls it revenue gathering.

Well, like hitting judder bars hard, or complaining about raised pedestrian crossings, paying fines for traffic regulation breaches is purely voluntary. Just as me forgetting where the tree roots are before my spine reminds me, is too...
i travel almost fortnightly between new plymouth and wanganui, always on the motorbike.

the last time i went down, i hit several deviations in the road, not even potholes or visible bumps that could be avoided, that felt like my lower back had been smacked with a bat. the shock was incredible. i hate to think how much damage my body is copping. i dont relax until i get south of waverly, as the road improves after then. taranaki sure does get the short end from NZTA.
they have also done a heap of hot mix "repairs", where the seal is several inches higher than the actual road surface, those are nasty if you happen to hit them or get the front tyre stuck along the seam. that happened once in the dark. i was going nicely around a corner, and next thing my tyre is stuck along the edge and im forced upright until it finished. bloody dangerous.

ive been riding since 2005, and the roads are getting worse and more dangerous daily. between the roads and the expense of the rego [$500+ per year] i have actually done the unthinkable and am learning how to drive. i hate that it has come to this, but im not getting any younger.

judder bars are annoying, but i would like to see them installed either side of pedestrian crossings, especially ones near schools. on the topic of crossings, why are so many placed on corners? here in np, you come around a corner of a normal intersection, and bam, theres a crossing. no pre-warning. luckily the one i pass over most is not often used.
And I don't know what the hell they're using to fix pot holes these days, but its nowhere near as effective as whatever it was they used previously; whatever this is just doesn't last.
Probably something 'cheap & nasty' they got to cut back on spending.
in order to be old & wise, you must first be young & stupid. (I'm still working on that.)
the most ludacris thing ive seen was workers putting seal in pot holes, in the piss pouring rain, on a main road. the seal or whatever was washing out as quickly as they were shovelling it in. waste of time, and very dangerous too.