Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Blatant Nimbyism
And from people who don't even live locally.   Dodgy
Tairua, a Coromandel town wants to open a skate park & has been trying to do so for 30 years is being constantly prevented from doing so by bach owners, who are only in the town for holidays.

https://www.stuff.co.nz/national/3009301...skate-park

These [people] ... also have property in Auckland, Queenstown and other places too, some of them don’t even spend six nights a year in Tairua, and yet they're preventing our families from having a facility. We need things for our kids to do, we need activities. Tairua isn’t a retirement village any more.” Claims there will be rowdy behaviour don’t wash with Gage-Brown. She points to a video circulating on social media showing people she says are associated with the Tairua Rugby and Sports Club, which is based at Cory Park, drinking and streaking across the field last Saturday nigh

The skate park won’t have lights on it, our children will not be running around naked and they definitely won’t be drinking alcohol. They won’t be creating the kind of noise that the community is having to put up with right now.”

(Derek Rope, club captain of the rugby and sports club, which opposes the skate park on health and safety grounds and because it will annex part of the rugby field, says there’s no proof it was club members doing the streaking.

Both sides accuse each other of dirty tactics.

Stuff[b] revealed in June how an Auckland rugby club encouraged members to stack a community survey with opposition to the park to help out a benefactor with a holiday home in Tairua who opposes the facility.
[/b]

There are potentially some additional sponsorship dollars in it for the club,” said an email to all members."

https://www.waikatotimes.co.nz/a/nz-news...ith-locals

"The community and waterfront property owners have been pitted against each other over a skatepark the council is about to start building in Tairua’s Cory Park Domain, near the estuary.

The battle is now heading to the High Court in Hamilton for a judicial review sought by the property owners.
It's pure nimbyism from a rich minority. Wealthy holiday homeowners – many who don't live here – who think there’s going to be pee on their back fences or bottle on their lawns. The reality is it’s a much needed and wanted facility.”

“They’ve doubled the cost for the community.”

The sports and recreation trust was asked to contribute a third of the original plan’s cost: $450,000, towards which locals donated $150,000.

“Now it’s going to cost $1.1m because of everything that’s had to be spent because of the opposition of this small group.”
in order to be old & wise, you must first be young & stupid. (I'm still working on that.)
Skate park in Chch is a haven for all sorts of nefarious activities.
It's not the least charm of a theory that it is refutable. The hundred-times-refuted theory of "free will" owes its persistence to this charm alone; some one is always appearing who feels himself strong enough to refute it - Friedrich Nietzsche
It may be but it is in a city.
The area they want to set up a skate park in isn't.
in order to be old & wise, you must first be young & stupid. (I'm still working on that.)
They are very photogenic, but I bet they wear hoodies when on a skateboard...
In and out of jobs, running free
Waging war with society
(24-07-2023, 05:43 PM)Zurdo Wrote: They are very photogenic, but I bet they wear hoodies when on a skateboard...

And so do I sometimes, when taking Madame Le Dog for a walk & it looks like it might rain but hasn't quite made up its mind whether to or not... Rolleyes Big Grin
It's well known at the rugby club that people wearing hoodies are criminals. Their dogs are Pit Bulls....even if they give them fancy French names.
In and out of jobs, running free
Waging war with society
Therre is always a bad element at skateparks, I agree with the Bach owners here, they don't want their holidays ruined.
Unapologetic NZ first voter, white cis male, climate change skeptic.
(25-07-2023, 10:02 AM)C_T_Russell Wrote: Therre is always a bad element at skateparks, I agree with the Bach owners here, they don't want their holidays ruined.
And surfers are all drug addicts so maybe we should ban that activity too? Generalisation much?!
Don't forget those notorious left handed villains. Why, their very name is sinister.

Wink
Entropy is not what
it used to be.
A bad element at skate parks?

At least they don't have streakers, or can throwers...
(25-07-2023, 10:02 AM)C_T_Russell Wrote: Therre is always a bad element at skateparks, I agree with the Bach owners here, they don't want their holidays ruined.

But its OK for them to ruin everyone else's town, where they actually live full time??  Rolleyes Dodgy