Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Labour is DONE
(25-07-2023, 11:08 AM)C_T_Russell Wrote: harm_lessThere are 10s of 1,000s of NZers who are still alive who wouldn't have been is not for the COVID containment measures that were implemented

Only time will tell if that was ever worth it.
It's debatable how many would have died if you compare to other countries such as sweeten that did zero lockdowns.
This government had blown half a billion dollars on RAT tests that are being thrown out.
Bloody ridiculous, they are still burning through a billion dollars a week right now. Who pays? Your children, grand children and great grand children, that's who!
Compare the data: https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/#countries

NZ (population 5M) 4,600 COVID deaths = 941 per million.

Sweden (population 10.4M) 24,536 COVID deaths = 2,401 per million.

NZ wins Smile 

Regarding the RAT tests (I still have a couple of boxes supplied free from my GP). So what value do you put on each life saved by the RAT tests that were utilised?
(25-07-2023, 11:40 AM)harm_less Wrote:
(25-07-2023, 11:08 AM)C_T_Russell Wrote: harm_lessThere are 10s of 1,000s of NZers who are still alive who wouldn't have been is not for the COVID containment measures that were implemented

Only time will tell if that was ever worth it.
It's debatable how many would have died if you compare to other countries such as sweeten that did zero lockdowns.
This government had blown half a billion dollars on RAT tests that are being thrown out.
Bloody ridiculous, they are still burning through a billion dollars a week right now. Who pays? Your children, grand children and great grand children, that's who!
Compare the data: https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/#countries

NZ wins Smile 

Regarding the RAT tests (I still have a couple of boxes supplied free from my GP). So what value do you put on each life saved by the RAT tests that were utilised?
So sweden only had about double our deaths of covid, not really that significant.
How many died of cancer here because of the lack of care due to covid lockdowns?
My friend has had cancer overlooked because the doctors didn't want to see him during covid. Appaling.
Don't forget this govt for a time banned us from importing the RAT tests. How many lives could have been saved had the public been allowed to buy them?
Also why did the govt blow so much money on these tests? There is like 36 million of the things sitting here that we never needed.
Why did the govt not sell the tests to another country before they expired?
Unapologetic NZ first voter, white cis male, climate change skeptic.
(25-07-2023, 10:36 AM)jilledge Wrote: What success stories have labour had over the past 6 years?

Kiwibuild was an absolute failure
Three Waters and the Water Services Act is a fuster cluck
Crime is through the roof
Drunk driving MPs
Education is in a downward spiral
Roads are a mess
The foreign buyer ban did absolutely nothing

Fairly sure there's been at least one Nat guilty of drunk driving.

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/police-min...3IQGE6S4E/

Most of the above list are related to poverty. e We have to end Neo Liberalism, thus removing that yawning gap between rich & poor which will lead to improvement. Incidentally, the blame for the situation we now have cannot fairly be laid just at Labour's door; both they & National are responsible for the past 40 odd years of increasing poverty here.
in order to be old & wise, you must first be young & stupid. (I'm still working on that.)
nz has 4600 deaths, sweden has 24,500 deaths, for roughly the same number of cases...

Maybe our approach worked better?
This world would be a perfect place if it wasn't for the people.

Sharesies | Buy Crypto | Surfshark VPN | Cloud Backup
(25-07-2023, 11:50 AM)C_T_Russell Wrote:
(25-07-2023, 11:40 AM)harm_less Wrote: Compare the data: https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/#countries

NZ wins Smile 

Also why did the govt blow so much money on these tests? There is like 36 million of the things sitting here that we never needed.
Why did the govt not sell the tests to another country before they expired?

there has probably been a lot of R & D in that space over the last few years, I imaging better testing products became available and were probably cheaper than what was available at the time we bought them... Remember it was a scramble at the time to get these tests and probably ordered and paid for in advance just to ensure supply...   Either way, we didn't run out, that would have been a far worse problem to have imho
This world would be a perfect place if it wasn't for the people.

Sharesies | Buy Crypto | Surfshark VPN | Cloud Backup
(25-07-2023, 11:50 AM)C_T_Russell Wrote: How many died of cancer here because of the lack of care due to covid lockdowns?
My friend has had cancer overlooked because the doctors didn't want to see him during covid. Appaling.
Overwhelmed hospitals was a comparatively minor issue compared to what we would have seen if COVID had been allowed to spread freely as you seem in favour of.

A highly transmissible virus pandemic combined with a lack of health sector spending over the Key government's watch so no wonder the system was under strain.
(25-07-2023, 02:58 PM)harm_less Wrote:
(25-07-2023, 11:50 AM)C_T_Russell Wrote: How many died of cancer here because of the lack of care due to covid lockdowns?
Overwhelmed hospitals was a comparatively minor issue compared to what we would have seen if COVID had been allowed to spread freely as you seem in favour of.

A highly transmissible virus pandemic combined with a lack of health sector spending over the Key government's watch so no wonder the system was under strain.

Exactly - & the situation wasn't helped by those who decided it was 'all a conspiracy.' Rolleyes
in order to be old & wise, you must first be young & stupid. (I'm still working on that.)
"Labour is DONE.", True, maybe - but apparently National is UNDONE.

Wink
Entropy is not what
it used to be.
(25-07-2023, 03:13 PM)Lilith7 Wrote:
(25-07-2023, 02:58 PM)harm_less Wrote: Overwhelmed hospitals was a comparatively minor issue compared to what we would have seen if COVID had been allowed to spread freely as you seem in favour of.

Exactly - & the situation wasn't helped by those who decided it was 'all a conspiracy.' Rolleyes

Fully agree.

Comparing countries needs to be done cautiously because different count in different ways and there are all sorts of other variables that need to be accounted for. We were likely to have had at least 50,000 deaths if we hadn't done anything. We can feel greatful that the system worked as well as it did, although in hindsight it could have been done better.

I have no problem with the left over RATs except that we should have had them way sooner, and the surplus now should have been distributed more freely a lot sooner. We bought a box at the very beginning and paid a fortune for it. Now that we have run out, the pharmacy in town is charging $5 each for the tests. Luckily I asked at another one that happily gave me 10 free. Why aren't all pharmacies handing them out proactively so that people can know whether they are safe to go out?

I have a huge problem with people who tried to dissuade others from getting vaccinated and now complaining about the covid impacts on the rest of our health system. The vast majority of people did the right thing by getting vaccinated, staying home and wearing masks when they needed to go out. But some refused to do what was right and have no credibility in criticising anything else about the how the health sector coped.