Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pine trees should have never been allowed
https://www.1news.co.nz/2023/07/23/pine-...nge-fight/
Now we have maori heading over to the UN to complain.
I could have told them from the start that it was a bad idea.
It's not even sustainable long term because the intention is to force people to stop burning fossil fuels, then where does the money come from if everything switches to renewables? Who keeps paying the carbon farmers?
Solution is to only allow permanent native forest and give the ssme credits. Sure it takes longer to establish but long term it holds more carbon anyway.
Unapologetic NZ first voter, white cis male, climate change skeptic.
Feed sheep on pines and you'll grow carbon fibre.
Everyone except the sheep will be happy, although the mutton will possibly taste a little odd.
Entropy is not what
it used to be.
Baa lambs don't like the taste of pine needles.

(24-07-2023, 11:04 AM)C_T_Russell Wrote: https://www.1news.co.nz/2023/07/23/pine-...nge-fight/
Now we have maori heading over to the UN to complain.
I could have told them from the start that it was a bad idea.
It's not even sustainable long term because the intention is to force people to stop burning fossil fuels, then where does the money come from if everything switches to renewables? Who keeps paying the carbon farmers?
Solution is to only allow permanent native forest and give the ssme credits. Sure it takes longer to establish but long term it holds more carbon anyway.

So, you didn't watch Sunday last night? About the German billionnaire investing in Maori forestry?
(24-07-2023, 05:54 PM)Oh_hunnihunni Wrote: So, you didn't watch Sunday last night? About the German billionnaire investing in Maori forestry?
So CT doesn't have to go hunting here it is: https://www.tvnz.co.nz/shows/sunday/episodes/s2023-e21
You can lead CT by a link but you cannot make him...
One of my Grandfathers got a job in the '30's....he was one of many men planting pine trees for what became the largest man made forest in the world. That forest later gave jobs to countless others.
In and out of jobs, running free
Waging war with society
"Baa lambs don't like the taste of pine needles."

But in a few days, when they get a bit hungry they'll stop being picky.

People didn't like Piggy, but each morning, there he was as PM. That really was hard to swallow.
Wink
Entropy is not what
it used to be.
I tried that approach with ny cat. But she has claws.
(24-07-2023, 08:25 PM)Oh_hunnihunni Wrote: I tried that approach with ny cat. But she has claws.
. . . and a cats sneakily fiendish attitude.

Devil
Entropy is not what
it used to be.
(24-07-2023, 06:03 PM)harm_less Wrote:
(24-07-2023, 05:54 PM)Oh_hunnihunni Wrote: So, you didn't watch Sunday last night? About the German billionnaire investing in Maori forestry?
So CT doesn't have to go hunting here it is: https://www.tvnz.co.nz/shows/sunday/episodes/s2023-e21

Already watched that in the weekend.
At least they tried to highlight the problem but some interviewed still feel pines have their place. Only If they get cut down and replanted do they have a place IMHO, none of this plant and walk away nonsense.
(25-07-2023, 10:09 AM)C_T_Russell Wrote:
(24-07-2023, 06:03 PM)harm_less Wrote: So CT doesn't have to go hunting here it is: https://www.tvnz.co.nz/shows/sunday/episodes/s2023-e21

Already watched that in the weekend.
At least they tried to highlight the problem but some interviewed still feel pines have their place. Only If they get cut down and replanted do they have a place IMHO, none of this plant and walk away nonsense.
Doesn't really matter what trees are planted as carbon sinks, we need to stop burning stuff and particularly fuels that are derived from vegetation that captured carbon via photosynthesis millions of years ago. We are currently releasing millions of years worth of carbon sequestration over the course of a few decades and our environment has no ability to absorb that load without the risk of making our planet unable to support life in its present forms.

Planting a few trees is just rearranging deckchairs on a sinking ship. We need to address the primary cause not piss around applying a few band aids.
You cannot plant pines and walk away. They, like any tree require ongoing nurturing, pruning and maintenance to be suitable for later use.

(25-07-2023, 10:38 AM)harm_less Wrote:
(25-07-2023, 10:09 AM)C_T_Russell Wrote: Already watched that in the weekend.
Doesn't really matter what trees are planted as carbon sinks, we need to stop burning stuff and particularly fuels that are derived from vegetation that captured carbon via photosynthesis millions of years ago. We are currently releasing millions of years worth of carbon sequestration over the course of a few decades and our environment has no ability to absorb that load without the risk of making our planet unable to support life in its present forms.

Planting a few trees is just rearranging deckchairs on a sinking ship. We need to address the primary cause not piss around applying a few band aids.

The scheme around carbon credits was a sop to industry. But trees are still a good idea, especially in urban spaces. In a heat wave it is often 20 to 30 degrees cooler under a tree. That is enough to save lives.
(25-07-2023, 10:38 AM)harm_less Wrote:
(25-07-2023, 10:09 AM)C_T_Russell Wrote: Already watched that in the weekend.

If you believe in the climate change narrative or not, one thing we can all agree on, is no amount of tree planting we can do is going to get us out of this.
We can't plant trees fast enough as the rate we are burning fossil fuels, how many hectares of pines equates to a container ship I wonder?
How many trees worth of carbon would it take to fill your car?
Millions of tonnes being burned every minute globally.
Then we still have the best part of 200 years of catch up.
I dont think we would even have enough land to plant that much carbon, unless we can find a way to plant all of Africa.
I'm all for planting native trees and restoring habitats for wildlife and giving us something for future generations,  that's far more valuable IMHO.

(25-07-2023, 11:12 AM)Oh_hunnihunni Wrote: You cannot plant pines and walk away. They, like any tree require ongoing nurturing, pruning and maintenance to be suitable for later use.

Well that's what I thought too, but walk away pime forests are a thing, I first learned about it on an episode on Sunday earlier this year.
Alot of it happening around gisborne.
Sure, they might give the trees a pruning, but they won't be the best for timber, they are planting the things much higher density.
Seems silly not to use for timber, at least you can replant and capture even more carbon.

Even more silly how NZ is happy to ship timber globally, burning fossil fuel and then re-importing the finished products from China because we don't have any more mills to process the stuff, do many have closed. Probably impacts our price of timber significantly too.
https://www.nzherald.co.nz/kahu/anthony-...T4PDW3TVM/

More evidence the pines are not going to work:
https://www.rnz.co.nz/news/national/4761...ons-report

Kazakhstan is the only other country doing what we do.
https://www.newstalkzb.co.nz/on-air/mike...emissions/
We need trees for a number of reasons, including the fast growing pines that are the best renewable resource for building houses. As with anything, there needs to be balance.
Pines played a huge role in making us a wealthy nation. I cannot see that changing very much in the future. We need timber too much to be prepared to wait for the alternatives to grow. But we do have to do it better, that slash problem is a waste of resources, I think that everytime I pay through the nose for my cats preferred litter - pine pellets...

Surely slash could go into that processing stream?
(26-07-2023, 11:43 AM)Oh_hunnihunni Wrote: Pines played a huge role in making us a wealthy nation. I cannot see that changing very much in the future.
The one thing that really needs to change is that a huge proportion of the pines we grow are exported as logs. If those logs were processed into at least cut lumber if not furniture it would generate domestic jobs, add value to that product stream, reduce the transportation requirements/emissions and reduce the need for us to then import goods make from that timber.

Our geographical isolation makes the export of raw materials such as this inexcusable.
Out on a motorcycle ride this morning, and passed some logging operations - slash put in piles. For what ? For someone to put to use, or just burned later on ? Anyway, good to see, even though the logging operators are probably moaning about loss of profits.
In and out of jobs, running free
Waging war with society
(26-07-2023, 11:43 AM)Oh_hunnihunni Wrote: Pines played a huge role in making us a wealthy nation. I cannot see that changing very much in the future. We need timber too much to be prepared to wait for the alternatives to grow. But we do have to do it better, that slash problem is a waste of resources, I think that everytime I pay through the nose for my cats preferred litter - pine pellets...

The pines being planted as carbon sinks are never meant to be harvested.
(30-07-2023, 02:22 PM)Wainuiguy Wrote:
(26-07-2023, 11:43 AM)Oh_hunnihunni Wrote: Pines played a huge role in making us a wealthy nation. I cannot see that changing very much in the future. We need timber too much to be prepared to wait for the alternatives to grow. But we do have to do it better, that slash problem is a waste of resources, I think that everytime I pay through the nose for my cats preferred litter - pine pellets...

The pines being planted as carbon sinks are never meant to be harvested.

Which is ridiculous, it seems just a lazy way to make money from the land.
Looks like its going to do nothing anyway.

https://www.space.com/carbon-removal-doe...ge-effects