Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bill Gates offers nuclear breakthrough.
Thumbs Up 
As much as I don't like the guy, here's something productive he's doing.
NZ would be well suited to his small modular reactors.
https://www.thestreet.com/technology/bil...eakthrough
Unapologetic NZ first voter, white cis male, climate change skeptic.
Nope. I'd rather see non nuke alternatives explored further. Like the regenerative energy surfaces that use the human energy expended by walking or driving on them to power electric batteries. Safer. Cleaner. And local.
The ritual of [CTRL] - [ALT] - [DELETE] on thousands of nuclear reactors in every suburb as residents strive to just get the toaster and electric jug to go each morning after an update is a trifle nerve wracking to contemplate.
The new-age "BLUE SCREEN OF DEATH" may have a few longer term side effects too.

Wink
Entropy is not what
it used to be.
In no p[articular order:
Hiroshima.
Nagasaki.
Three mile island.
Fukushima
Chernobyl
Onagawa
Sellafield
Chalk river.

A partial list only. I think we should tell Bill Gates where he can stick his 'breakthrough.'
in order to be old & wise, you must first be young & stupid. (I'm still working on that.)
If this recent discovery of a room temperature superconductor turns out to be true, then I think we will see the advent of nuclear fusion happen within the decade.
We will literally be able to tear down every hydro dam, coal plant and wind mill with fusion energy. We will be laughing looking back at nuclear fission should that day arrive which I desperately hope it does.
A forlorn hope I'm afraid, it's always been 10 years away each year since the early seventies.
It's not the least charm of a theory that it is refutable. The hundred-times-refuted theory of "free will" owes its persistence to this charm alone; some one is always appearing who feels himself strong enough to refute it - Friedrich Nietzsche
(01-08-2023, 10:12 AM)nzoomed Wrote: If this recent discovery of a room temperature superconductor turns out to be true, then I think we will see the advent of nuclear fusion happen within the decade.
We will literally be able to tear down every hydro dam, coal plant and wind mill with fusion energy. We will be laughing looking back at nuclear fission should that day arrive which I desperately hope it does.

This latest "discovery" seems to be a more completely self contained unified summation than the majority of its predecessors. They have attempted a scheme of avoiding skepticism from outsiders by doing it, plus confusion and dissent "in-house". Like a lot of Gov't departments, they have diversified to the stage that they no longer require contact with the outside world - except for the Fiscal Inflow of course.  
Alas for their scheme, much wiser persons than me not only make up the overwhelming majority of the universe, they can deliver skepticism that includes some of the unfortunate realities of science.
One thing, we appear to be pretty well practised at "...laughing looking back at nuclear fission..." fiascos already.  The money still pours into it though.

Unlike Bill Gates' plan, this one can at least protect bystanders with foil hats.  We won't need many orange cones at all.

Wink
Entropy is not what
it used to be.