Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ukraine takes the war to Moscow
Drone strikes on an apartment building in Moscow caused damage. I wish they wouldn't target civilians; it makes them little better than the Russians. Go after military targets & leave civilians alone.

"War coming back to Moscow" said Zelensky.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-66352765

[b]"Ukraine's President Volodymyr Zelensky has warned war is coming back to Russia after a drone attack on the capital Moscow.[/b]
Mr Zelensky said attacks on Russian territory were an "inevitable, natural and absolutely fair process" of the war between the two countries.
Russia's defence ministry said three Ukrainian drones were downed on Sunday, with two crashing into offices.
Vnukovo Airport, southwest of the city centre, was also briefly shut.And in a video address on Sunday from the western Ukrainian city of Ivano-Frankivsk, Mr Zelensky said that Ukraine was getting stronger.

"Today is the 522nd day of the so-called 'Special Military Operation', which the Russian leadership thought would last a couple of weeks," he said.
"Gradually, the war is returning to the territory of Russia - to its symbolic centres and military bases, and this is an inevitable, natural and absolutely fair process."

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2023/j...es-on-kyiv

"Ukrainian drones attacked tonight. Facades of two city office towers were slightly damaged,” Moscow mayor Sergei Sobyanin posted on Telegram. Moscow and its surrounding area are more than 500km from the Ukrainian border and the ongoing conflict there, but have been targeted in several drone attacks this year.
w come several weeks into a Ukrainian counter-offensive to claw back territory captured by Russia since large-scale hostilities erupted in February 2022.=
On Friday, Russia said it had intercepted two Ukrainian missiles over its southern Rostov region bordering Ukraine, with at least 16 people wounded by debris falling on the city of Taganrog."
in order to be old & wise, you must first be young & stupid. (I'm still working on that.)
I was reading about that too, not too sure if that was the intended target or not.
The aera is supposed to house russian elites according to the article, so perhaps the people living in there were tied to the govt or military?
Either way it sucks when civilians are killed no matter what side, perhaps zelensky had enough after loosing so many civilians and ordered the strike to send a message?
I just hope it doesn't escalate things, but it appears it was to send a strong message to Russia.
Bringing the realities of a distant war into the Russian way of life can only be a good thing... Let them experience what Ukraine has been for over a year...
This world would be a perfect place if it wasn't for the people.

Sharesies | Buy Crypto | Surfshark VPN | Cloud Backup
I agree, also should be noted that Ukraine hasn't claimed responsibility, rather just said war has come back to Moscow.
If it was a Ukrainian drone, it's quite typical for them to be shot down before hitting their intended target, inadvertently hitting civilian infrastructure.
Then there are rebel groups within Russia potentially responsible too.
But either way, doesn't surprise me if it was Ukrainie, but they typically don't claim responsibility for such attacks.
(31-07-2023, 01:19 PM)king1 Wrote: Bringing the realities of a distant war into the Russian way of life can only be a good thing... Let them experience what Ukraine has been for over a year...

I know what you mean - but surely we must, after centuries of warfare for whatever reason have learnt a little along the way. Like not targeting civilians; & had Ukraine - very publicly - done that then I think they'd have gained even more sympathy & support than they presently have.

All that's changed are the weapons - ever more vicious, cruel & deadly & the 'reasons'- ever more ridiculously flimsy. Dodgy

The world's a weird place. And humans are crazy.

(31-07-2023, 12:49 PM)nzoomed Wrote: I was reading about that too, not too sure if that was the intended target or not.
The aera is supposed to house russian elites according to the article, so perhaps the people living in there were tied to the govt or military?
Either way it sucks when civilians are killed no matter what side, perhaps zelensky had enough after loosing so many civilians and ordered the strike to send a message?
I just hope it doesn't escalate things, but it appears it was to send a strong message to Russia.

That may have been the reason - but still, I wish they hadn't. So far the moral high ground is indisputably Ukraine's & it would be good to see it remain that way imo.
in order to be old & wise, you must first be young & stupid. (I'm still working on that.)
The moral high ground in any conflict is always disputed territory.
(31-07-2023, 07:04 PM)Oh_hunnihunni Wrote: The moral high ground in any conflict is always disputed territory.

In this case Russia invaded a peaceful country, unprovoked which makes it pretty clear that Ukraine has the moral high ground - for now.
The first casualty in any war is the truth.

That's not likely to change.
Entropy is not what
it used to be.
(31-07-2023, 03:27 PM)Lilith7 Wrote:
(31-07-2023, 01:19 PM)king1 Wrote: Bringing the realities of a distant war into the Russian way of life can only be a good thing... Let them experience what Ukraine has been for over a year...

I know what you mean - but surely we must, after centuries of warfare for whatever reason have learnt a little along the way. Like not targeting civilians; & had Ukraine - very publicly - done that then I think they'd have gained even more sympathy & support than they presently have.

All that's changed are the weapons - ever more vicious, cruel & deadly & the 'reasons'- ever more ridiculously flimsy. Dodgy

(31-07-2023, 12:49 PM)nzoomed Wrote: I was reading about that too, not too sure if that was the intended target or not.

That may have been the reason - but still, I wish they hadn't. So far the moral high ground is indisputably Ukraine's & it would be good to see it remain that way imo.

Ive been reading another update and denys davydov on youtube also covered this and it appears the drone/cruise missile was on its way to a military target and hit the building after russian air defence shot it down.
I dont think zelensky would be silly enough to deliberately hit civilian targets, especially given that the west are watching the countrys moves and wouldnt want to risk loosing weapons supplies critical to the countrys defence.
(01-08-2023, 10:27 AM)nzoomed Wrote:
(31-07-2023, 03:27 PM)Lilith7 Wrote: I know what you mean - but surely we must, after centuries of warfare for whatever reason have learnt a little along the way. Like not targeting civilians; & had Ukraine - very publicly - done that then I think they'd have gained even more sympathy & support than they presently have.

Ive been reading another update and denys davydov on youtube also covered this and it appears the drone/cruise missile was on its way to a military target and hit the building after russian air defence shot it down.
I dont think zelensky would be silly enough to deliberately hit civilian targets, especially given that the west are watching the countrys moves and wouldnt want to risk loosing weapons supplies critical to the countrys defence.

Then I hope that's how it happened - Zelensky seems to be a reasonable & good leader for his country. 

Although anyone would look excellent when compared to Putin.
Ukraine’s ‘Beaver’ Drones

https://www.kyivpost.com/post/20129
It's not the least charm of a theory that it is refutable. The hundred-times-refuted theory of "free will" owes its persistence to this charm alone; some one is always appearing who feels himself strong enough to refute it - Friedrich Nietzsche