Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Re-installing Win11
From friend from England has an ASUS VivoBook which, when turned on, constantly restarts.

The ASUS helpdesk (which was only half-pie helpful) suggested reloading the BIOS which I did successfully but it did not fix the problem.
I have tried booting from my Win10 USB stick but it went into "Install" mode rather than "Repair" mode and I was promptly asked for the Product Key which he doesn't have.

If I was to download the correct Win11 file and boot from that, is there a possibility that the correct Key will be detected from the laptop and "Repair" mode initiated ?

Cheers.
(04-08-2023, 12:00 PM)decibel Wrote: From friend from England has an ASUS VivoBook which, when turned on, constantly restarts.

The ASUS helpdesk (which was only half-pie helpful) suggested reloading the BIOS which I did successfully but it did not fix the problem.
I have tried booting from my Win10 USB stick but it went into "Install" mode rather than "Repair" mode and I was promptly asked for the Product Key which he doesn't have.

If I was to download the correct Win11 file and boot from that, is there a possibility that the correct Key will be detected from the laptop and "Repair" mode initiated ?

Cheers.

you will have the choice to install new or repair/troubleshoot the existing OS when booting from a windows iso/stick

when asked about the key just look for the 'skip for now ' option, windows will load it from the mobo 
only thing you need to do is choose the correct version if reinstalling ie home or pro

from the recovery console you can also change the startup behaviour and load int safemode, - if that works then generally it is a software issue with one of the startup programs/drivers...

HTH
This world would be a perfect place if it wasn't for the people.

Sharesies | Buy Crypto | Surfshark VPN | Cloud Backup
Well if it's running Win 11 you'll have to use Win 11 media to attempt repair anyway. Trying to use a Win 10 disc to repair a Win 11 machine won't work... Just like a Win XP recovery console won't fix Win 11 either.

Also, if it came with Win 11 preinstalled, I don't expect it will have a BIOS key compatible with Win 10. So that could be why that didn't work.
Unfortunately the Win11 stick won't allow a "repair" when booting from the stick itself.
I can run Ubuntu successfully in demo mode so I know the fault is associated with Windows.
I tried an install from the Win11 stick but there are some drivers missing that I could not find.

Thanks for your suggestions but I am off on holiday so he is taking it to a shop.