Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Convert an Acer Chromebook 317 [CB317-1H] , to Linux Mint.
I have just converted an Acer Chromebook 317 [CB317-1H] , Magpie JasperLake to Linux Mint XFce 21.2. The following may help someone:-

The original ChromeOS was pathetic! Nothing worked smoothly, mouse scrolling was erratic, as was the touchpad. It had Linux Debian 11 running in a VM. The idea was that you could use a Linux app, but you had to have a cup of coffee while the VM woke up and the app loaded. The Linux apps were crippled, you couldn't keep them on top. The average CPU temperature was 66c. There is no way that ChromeOS could do justice to a computer with 8GB RAM, 4 core CPU, & 128GB SSD.

I installed MrChrombox's RW_LEGACY Firmware. I used this one because I didn't need to disable the write protection, which was good because the guarantee was still valid, and I can restore it to chromeos at any time. I used Mint xfce as it is lighter on resources than Cinnamon. I won't go into the details of the installation which was quite straightforward.
Note: Whatever you do. NEVER touch the space bar during the process, as it
will restore ChromeOS!

Mint xfce works very well. The mouse & touchpad are excellent. The Volume control works, but no sound, Brightness control works, & the keyboard backlighting also, but there were some problems:-
The main problem is the lack of a sound driver. I have no doubt that someone will create one some day. Meanwhile I use a $37 USB sound card for the earphones.
There is no way to use Capital Lock (the Key is now Search), & also no Numlock for the Numeric key pad. Both have the same solution. Open the virtual keyboard "onboard' in Menu, place a shortcut on the panel. Go to start up in the settings menu & tick "onboard" in the start up menu. Right click on the panel icon & select "show onboard". Click on "numlock" the numbers will show. For Upper case select Capital Lock. This does not affect the Numeric keypad setting. Click on the X to hide the virtual keyboard.
If you wish to control the touchpad install "touchpad-indicator".

An interesting thing is that the average CPU temp over several hours was 38c with a maximum of 41c. So much for Google's bull about the efficiency of their OS! A big plus is that you can use MACRIUM REFLEX to make a full image of the drive in 4 minutes!
Well done. Linux Mint is a nice OS.
(08-08-2023, 10:35 AM)paulw Wrote: Well done. Linux Mint is a nice OS.

I have changed the OS from Mint xfce to Cinnamon 21.2 as it has more features, and the cpu temperature is much the same. If I wished to install Windows instead of Linux, I would have to install the firmware for UEFI booting, which would mean disabling the write protect which in this computer is under the Motherboard. It would also void the guarantee.
I have now changed to MX 23 Linux KDE. It runs cooler, and supports the Jasper Lake Audio card. It has a 6 series  kernel, Mint is still in the 5 series kernel.
Rhino Linux looks very interesting too, I need to give it a go soon.
Not too sure how it will go on a chrome book however.
Google has made a lot of improvements to its Chrome OS. So much so, that I have restored the CB317 to Chrome OS. The Mouse & track-pad are fully adjustable, and work perfectly. The Debian 12 starts quickly, and the sound is perfect. The Keyboard is fully adjustable. The screen is perfect, and it runs cooler. It is 100% stable.  Smile