Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Suspected poisonings in Gippsland, Australia
Perhaps there should be a place you can take any mushrooms picked in the wild to be checked before eating them. In France they can take to the chemist to be checked first so maybe something similar just to be sure - & safe.

https://www.9news.com.au/national/suspec...25faa83539

"A regional community in Victoria's east is in mourning after three people died from eating poisonous wild mushrooms at a lunch with friends.
A fourth person, Reverend Ian Wilkinson, who is a pastor at Korumburra Baptist Church in Victoria's Gippsland region, is fighting for life in hospital after also eating the mushrooms with them.
The poisoning is being investigated by the Homicide Squad."We have had a significant loss to the Korumburra community this week," he said.
"Many people in our community are grieving the loss of three very important, much-loved and very well-respected people in our community

Reverend Ian Wilkinson's wife, Heather, a local teacher; her sister, Gail Patterson; and husband Don Patterson, died after eating toxic wild mushrooms at lunch with friends, according to police.
Police say the two couples were dining at a home in Leongatha, almost two hours south-east of Melbourne, last Saturday.

They became sick the following day and went to hospital thinking it was gastro, but their conditions deteriorated.
Wilkinson, 66, and her 70-year-old sister, Gail, died during the week and Patterson died on Saturday night.
Wilkinson and another friend remain in hospital while other guests from the lunch have since been discharged.

The Homicide Squad raided a house in Leongatha [b]on Saturday[/b] and detectives questioned a 48 year-old local woman."

The Victorian Health Department released a warning about death cap and yellow staining mushrooms in April, reporting a spike in the state due to cool and wet conditions.
in order to be old & wise, you must first be young & stupid. (I'm still working on that.)
It's hard to imagine anyone being so ignorant or so reckless as to eat any unidentified fungus.  Sounds as if they were fundamentalist Christians, so maybe they thought faith would keep them safe.
The mushrooms were prepared by a daughter in law who is now under suspicion. https://www.1news.co.nz/2023/08/07/daugh...om-deaths/

Not a great situation for her whether it was accidental or not.
(07-08-2023, 09:53 PM)harm_less Wrote: The mushrooms were prepared by a daughter in law who is now under suspicion. https://www.1news.co.nz/2023/08/07/daugh...om-deaths/

Not a great situation for her whether it was accidental or not.

She'll be feeling just terrible if it was accidental. If it wasn't then that's  another thing entirely & no doubt the truth will out.
in order to be old & wise, you must first be young & stupid. (I'm still working on that.)
saw an interview with her on the news last night, i'm not entirely sure I noted heartbreak and sorrow in her demeanour - it reminded me just a wee bit of the Mark Lundy acting style... I hope i'm wrong...
This world would be a perfect place if it wasn't for the people.

Sharesies | Buy Crypto | Surfshark VPN | Cloud Backup
(08-08-2023, 01:03 PM)king1 Wrote: saw an interview with her on the news last night, i'm not entirely sure I noted heartbreak and sorrow in her demeanour - it reminded me just a wee bit of the Mark Lundy acting style... I hope i'm wrong...

I missed that; but hope you're wrong too. Smile
(08-08-2023, 01:03 PM)king1 Wrote: saw an interview with her on the news last night, i'm not entirely sure I noted heartbreak and sorrow in her demeanour - it reminded me just a wee bit of the Mark Lundy acting style... I hope i'm wrong...
This one, or something similar. Odd demeanor for sure Rolleyes 
https://www.nzherald.co.nz/world/austral...Y24MLBLS4/
(08-08-2023, 05:44 PM)harm_less Wrote:

she seems to wipe her eyes a lot but did anyone see any tears ?
This world would be a perfect place if it wasn't for the people.

Sharesies | Buy Crypto | Surfshark VPN | Cloud Backup
(08-08-2023, 05:44 PM)harm_less Wrote:

I see what you mean; difficult though since different people react differently. Nonetheless, its a bit odd.
(08-08-2023, 06:24 PM)king1 Wrote:
(08-08-2023, 05:44 PM)harm_less Wrote: This one, or something similar. Odd demeanor for sure Rolleyes 

she seems to wipe her eyes a lot but did anyone see any tears ?
If you rub your eyes enough they will water, and she was checking for that by the looks. Rolleyes 
I get the idea this story has a way to go yet.
(07-08-2023, 08:39 PM)Olive Wrote: It's hard to imagine anyone being so ignorant or so reckless as to eat any unidentified fungus.  Sounds as if they were fundamentalist Christians, so maybe they thought faith would keep them safe.

Very suspicious considering she never consumed any of the mushrooms.
Probably will be a difficult thing to prove in a court of law too.
Unapologetic NZ first voter, white cis male, climate change skeptic.
I'd be pretty upset if I killed someone...on purpose or not.
In and out of jobs, running free
Waging war with society
I was reading a news article this morning that it appears she has left her home.
Tragic situation nonetheless but at least the kids are safe.
(09-08-2023, 02:52 PM)nzoomed Wrote: I was reading a news article this morning  that it appears she has left her home.
Tragic situation nonetheless but at least the kids are safe.

I don't suppose she had much choice, with the media camped outside. And yes, the kids are at least OK.
Yes the media were giving her a hard time for sure.
Her former husband claims she tried to poison him.

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/world/austral...FFTIAXIP4/

"The ex-husband of the Australian woman who cooked up fatal mushroom lunch to her former parents-in-law, which left three people dead, has claimed she tried to poison him in 2022, according to a source close to the family.
Victorian woman Erin Patterson, 48, served the deadly fungi to four people on July 29.
Now a source close to Simon Patterson, the ex-husband of Erin, told the Herald Sun that Simon claimed Erin had tried to poison him through an “ingested toxin”.

Simon has refused to speak about the fatal lunch served up by his ex-wife in July, but in 2022 revealed on social media that he nearly died from a mysterious gut illness that left him in a coma.

“I collapsed at home, then was in an induced coma for 16 days through which I had three emergency operations mainly on my small intestine, plus an additional planned operation,” he wrote in May 2022.
“My family were asked to come and say goodbye to me twice, as I was not expected to live.”

The latest allegations come after it was revealed Simon was invited to the deadly lunch but suddenly had to pull out “at the last minute”.
“Simon was supposed to go to the lunch but couldn’t make it at the last minute,” a friend of Simon told Daily Mail Australia on Wednesday.

“I collapsed at home, then was in an induced coma for 16 days through which I had three emergency operations mainly on my small intestine, plus an additional planned operation,” he wrote in May 2022.
“My family were asked to come and say goodbye to me twice, as I was not expected to live.”
the plot thickens!