Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Something Evil | What it's like to be shunned from the Jehovah's Witnesses
Radio New Zealand have done an excellent story on the matter, I believe there is supposed to be a TV documentary airing on the child sex abuse coverup too.
Why does this cult get a charity status? They are destroying lives.
All cults need to be removed as a charity.
Read more at rnz.co.nz/something-evil

Unapologetic NZ first voter, white cis male, climate change skeptic.
Make that all churches and I will agree with you. It isn't just this lot who shun and destroy families.
(12-08-2023, 01:21 PM)Oh_hunnihunni Wrote: Make that all churches and I will agree with you. It isn't just this lot who shun and destroy families.

I tend to agree, but in saying that while I dont share any of their religious beliefs, at least a great deal of them such as the Salvation Army are at least doing something decent and giving back to the community, thats the whole reason alot of churches run food shelters or other such programmes in the community is because its really a legal requirement as a charity.
Salvation Army in particular are so professional at their job that the Govt itself entrusts them to carry out work in this field or takes their advice. That says alot, but if you have a mega church which takes a ton of money from the followers with the leaders living off the money and driving flash cars while at the same time does nothing in the local community, then 100% they should be removed as a charity.
Unapologetic NZ first voter, white cis male, climate change skeptic.
I have long felt that the tax-free aspect of charity should only apply to money/goods that go directly to the beneficiaries. There are far too many leaders who get away with big salaries and rich lifestyles while the parishioners go poor. Then there are those that have huge businesses that have a huge advantage over their competition because they don't pay tax, and the competition does.

I got put off the Sallies in the early 80s when my friend who was a member with a degree of standing in the church was denied help in getting out of the violent marriage she was in. Their attitude was that family cohesion is all and that she should stay and weather the bruises. Then later in the 80s they lobbied against the homosexual law reform. It's one thing to say that people's behaviour goes against your principles, but an entirely different level to promote laws preventing people from being who they are. I remember being given door knob/letterbox stickers that said something like "Salvation Army not welcome here....".

And then of course we are well aware of the whole debacle of what goes on at Gloriavale. A different aspect to a degree, but overall still part of the system that lets the leaders get away with everything while not being required to pay any tax.
It would be really simple for genuine philanthropy to be proven and demonstrated. That could be assessed and tax credits issued. It would cut out the personal profiteering that is rife in churches, and separate the faithful from the faithless.

I remember when I sought some support for dealing with a very rebellious teen who was indulging in dangerous self destructive behaviour. A church group arrived, well known for that kind of work - not the Sallies. I was then harangued and remonstrated with because I had an illegitmate daughter, and the situation was my punishment in their view.

Funny how such attitudes can turn folk against some groups.
(12-08-2023, 01:21 PM)Oh_hunnihunni Wrote: Make that all churches and I will agree with you. It isn't just this lot who shun and destroy families.

Definitely agree; religion does do a fair amount of good but it also does great harm.

(12-08-2023, 02:36 PM)SueDonim Wrote: I have long felt that the tax-free aspect of charity should only apply to money/goods that go directly to the beneficiaries. There are far too many leaders who get away with big salaries and rich lifestyles while the parishioners go poor. Then there are those that have huge businesses that have a huge advantage over their competition because they don't pay tax, and the competition does.

I got put off the Sallies in the early 80s when my friend who was a member with a degree of standing in the church was denied help in getting out of the violent marriage she was in. Their attitude was that family cohesion is all and that she should stay and weather the bruises. Then later in the 80s they lobbied against the homosexual law reform. It's one thing to say that people's behaviour goes against your principles, but an entirely different level to promote laws preventing people from being who they are. I remember being given door knob/letterbox stickers that said something like "Salvation Army not welcome here....".

And then of course we are well aware of the whole debacle of what goes on at Gloriavale. A different aspect to a degree, but overall still part of the system that lets the leaders get away with everything while not being required to pay any tax.

True; too many churches now have far too much money which doesn't always reach those in need. I was also put off the sallies for their anti gay stance - if Ireland, after centuries of their priest-ridden history can evolve sufficiently to legalise gay marriage, then the Sallies ought to also be able to join the rest of us in the 21st century.

It would make good sense to make only their donations to those in need  tax free - but I suspect it would be a brave & perhaps foolhardy  govt which did so.

(12-08-2023, 02:51 PM)Oh_hunnihunni Wrote: It would be really simple for genuine philanthropy to be proven and demonstrated. That could be assessed and tax credits issued. It would cut out the personal profiteering that is rife in churches, and separate the faithful from the faithless.

I remember when I sought some support for dealing with a very rebellious teen who was indulging in dangerous self destructive behaviour. A church group arrived, well known for that kind of work - not the Sallies. I was then harangued and remonstrated with because I had an illegitmate daughter,  and the situation was my punishment in their view.

Funny how such attitudes can turn folk against some groups.

There are always going to be some absolute arseholes  apparently still living in medieval times, who enjoy feeling superior & trying to make others feel inferior. I suspect there's something lacking in them. Dodgy
in order to be old & wise, you must first be young & stupid. (I'm still working on that.)
(12-08-2023, 01:27 PM)C_T_Russell Wrote:

I tend to agree, but in saying that while I dont share any of their religious beliefs, at least a great deal of them such as the Salvation Army are at least doing something decent and giving back to the community, thats the whole reason alot of churches run food shelters or other such programmes in the community is because its really a legal requirement as a charity.
Salvation Army in particular are so professional at their job that the Govt itself entrusts them to carry out work in this field or takes their advice. That says alot, but if you have a mega church which takes a ton of money from the followers with the leaders living off the money and driving flash cars while at the same time does nothing in the local community, then 100% they should be removed as a charity.
There is no such word as alot. Either a lot or allot, your choice. https://www.dictionary.com/e/a-lot-vs-alot-vs-allot/
(12-08-2023, 05:20 PM)harm_less Wrote:
(12-08-2023, 01:27 PM)C_T_Russell Wrote: I tend to agree, but in saying that while I dont share any of their religious beliefs, at least a great deal of them such as the Salvation Army are at least doing something decent and giving back to the community, thats the whole reason alot of churches run food shelters or other such programmes in the community is because its really a legal requirement as a charity.
There is no such word as alot. Either a lot or allot, your choice. https://www.dictionary.com/e/a-lot-vs-alot-vs-allot/

Nerd! Big Grin
Yeah. Right.  A lot is an area of real estate. A little is what you have after the council discovers you have a lot.
Wink
Entropy is not what
it used to be.
(12-08-2023, 07:08 PM)R2x1 Wrote: Yeah. Right.  A lot is an area of real estate. A little is what you have after the council discovers you have a lot.
Wink

There was a Geoff Alott who played cricket for NZ  Tongue
Corgi Wan Kenobi is watching you!
I don't like cricket.
Cricket is/are not too bad - but lightly fried, not stewed. And more than 30 seconds of cricket is a bit much to swallow no matter how it is prepared
Wink
Entropy is not what
it used to be.
The one in my wardrobe is a damned nuisance though.
"There was a Geoff Alott who played cricket for NZ "

How did he simulate the extra legs? And sing the crickety-crick bits?

(12-08-2023, 09:15 PM)Oh_hunnihunni Wrote: The one in my wardrobe is a damned nuisance though.

Doesn't your cat have a healthy anti-cricket attitude?
Severely cut back on the cat food - regardless of feline felicitations.
Entropy is not what
it used to be.
I suspect the cat is responsible for introducing the crickety crick in the first place.
(12-08-2023, 09:01 PM)Oh_hunnihunni Wrote: I don't like cricket.

The most boring game known to man. Rolleyes Big Grin Big Grin
in order to be old & wise, you must first be young & stupid. (I'm still working on that.)
(13-08-2023, 11:33 AM)Lilith7 Wrote:
(12-08-2023, 09:01 PM)Oh_hunnihunni Wrote: I don't like cricket.

The most boring game known to man. Rolleyes Big Grin Big Grin

?? said by a woman.. I love the game. the tests are like a huge chess game and great to watch. Have phone set for updates if I am out.

I guess I am just a cricket tragic  Tongue
Corgi Wan Kenobi is watching you!
I don't like chess either.

Now, Scrabble - there's a cut throat game...
Solitaire, now that's my sort of game.
In and out of jobs, running free
Waging war with society
Addictive that one. The hours just melt away...