Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Greens' subsidies on solar
Finally a political party has seen the light (pun intended) and intends to incentivise the uptake of domestic PV solar uptake. We have seen EVs subsidised over the past few years by way of the Clean Car Discount system but as EV numbers grow we have seen little to support the added electricity demands of charging those vehicles on both a household and grid capacity basis.

Apart from the financial benefit to individuals, including landlords, in adding a few PV panels to their dwellings the environmental advantage of removing demand from our grid which is presently contributed to with thermal generation overall this is a well balanced policy.
https://twitter.com/NZGreens/status/1690498505465585664
(13-08-2023, 06:30 PM)harm_less Wrote: Finally a political party has seen the light (pun intended) and intends to incentivise the uptake of domestic PV solar uptake. We have seen EVs subsidised over the past few years by way of the Clean Car Discount system but as EV numbers grow we have seen little to support the added electricity demands of charging those vehicles on both a household and grid capacity basis.

Apart from the financial benefit to individuals, including landlords, in adding a few PV panels to their dwellings the environmental advantage of removing demand from our grid which is presently contributed to with thermal generation overall this is a well balanced policy.

Actually looks OK- the devil is in the detail of course.  Who can get the loans and over what term?  Who can get the subsidy?  Details lacking in the Tweet.
(13-08-2023, 06:38 PM)Wainuiguy Wrote:
(13-08-2023, 06:30 PM)harm_less Wrote: Finally a political party has seen the light (pun intended) and intends to incentivise the uptake of domestic PV solar uptake. We have seen EVs subsidised over the past few years by way of the Clean Car Discount system but as EV numbers grow we have seen little to support the added electricity demands of charging those vehicles on both a household and grid capacity basis.

Actually looks OK- the devil is in the detail of course.  Who can get the loans and over what term?  Who can get the subsidy?  Details lacking in the Tweet.
Being a Green initiative it will be well thought through and those details will eventuate in due course..

Also I missed your replies in that other thread but I'm confident the action taken was well founded. You of course will have been advised of who hit the red button on you when push came to shove, and thereby know it wasn't me.

Good move, that has to help in the long term.
in order to be old & wise, you must first be young & stupid. (I'm still working on that.)
I quite like it too, how far will 6000 go towards a solar setup?
This world would be a perfect place if it wasn't for the people.

Sharesies | Buy Crypto | Surfshark VPN | Cloud Backup
It would be perfect for our set up. Right position sunwise, easy install, appropriate population. I hope they are able to run with it. It is a good policy.
Aussie has done it for years now, a bit tempting, but the big drawback is the power companies don't give you much for your units you put into the grid like they do in Australia.
Unapologetic NZ first voter, white cis male, climate change skeptic.
(13-08-2023, 07:45 PM)king1 Wrote: I quite like it too, how far will 6000 go towards a solar setup?
Most of the cost of a 3kW installation, provided the building's physical characteristics are straightforward, which is an appropriate size for the average dwelling's electricity consumption.

(13-08-2023, 08:57 PM)C_T_Russell Wrote: Aussie has done it for years now, a bit tempting,  but the big drawback is the power companies don't give you much for your units you put into the grid like they do in Australia.
Solar has become so popular in Aussie that installations their have to be controllable by the lines company so that they can be throttled back during peak daylight hours to protect the grid infrastructure.

So far as the low feed in tariff (FIT) offered by most companies here is concerned this is a result of the privatisation of the previously state owned gen-retailers protecting their shareholders' dividends. It also distorts the benefits to the total grid's generation capacity as low returns for domestic power generation incentivises PV owners to consume the maximum percentage of their output thereby denying it to the wider public. The end result of that scenario is that going totally off grid becomes increasingly attractive to PV owners as the economic return of exporting it to the grid becomes a decreasingly viable option.

We have just increased our PV capacity to the extent that off grid is within reach and if V2G functionality was readily available we'd probably jump at the opportunity by using the storage capacity of our EVs.
(13-08-2023, 08:57 PM)C_T_Russell Wrote: Aussie has done it for years now, a bit tempting,  but the big drawback is the power companies don't give you much for your units you put into the grid like they do in Australia.

It would support more ev ownership though if households could rely on their own power generation rather than sell it on at a low return.
(14-08-2023, 06:05 AM)Oh_hunnihunni Wrote:

It would support more ev ownership though if households could rely on their own power generation rather than sell it on at a low return.
That's exactly the reason we had for buying our first EV. Meridian dropped their feed in tariff (FIT) for our exported PV generation so we saw an EV as an opportunity to increase our effective return beyond the pitiful return Meridian paid as any of your own generation that you can use (or store) offsets imported electricity so is worth the same as that bought electricity would have been, including GST.

The flip side is that even with the better FIT (11c/kWh) we are now receiving from Ecotricity (which we would get if we exported the electricity we use for EV charging) our EV's energy cost is ~2c/km, so win - win.
(13-08-2023, 11:05 PM)harm_less Wrote:
(13-08-2023, 07:45 PM)king1 Wrote: I quite like it too, how far will 6000 go towards a solar setup?
Most of the cost of a 3kW installation, provided the building's physical characteristics are straightforward, which is an appropriate size for the average dwelling's electricity consumption.

Solar has become so popular in Aussie that installations their have to be controllable by the lines company so that they can be throttled back during peak daylight hours to protect the grid infrastructure.

So far as the low feed in tariff (FIT) offered by most companies here is concerned this is a result of the privatisation of the previously state owned gen-retailers protecting their shareholders' dividends. It also distorts the benefits to the total grid's generation capacity as low returns for domestic power generation incentivises PV owners to consume the maximum percentage of their output thereby denying it to the wider public. The end result of that scenario is that going totally off grid becomes increasingly attractive to PV owners as the economic return of exporting it to the grid becomes a decreasingly viable option.

We have just increased our PV capacity to the extent that off grid is within reach and if V2G functionality was readily available we'd probably jump at the opportunity by using the storage capacity of our EVs.
Well with the rise of EVs, hopefully this wont be too much of an issue if the power can just feed onto the cars on each home, rather than overloading the rest of the grid, but your right, I did hear something about that.
But it proves one thing and thats that the electricity shortage argument for EVS is rubbish because with solar on everyones roofs, it will make up for it, but futureproofing the grid is a good idea.
My friend cant put out anymore than 5KW on his street because his street cant handle it he tells me.
Unapologetic NZ first voter, white cis male, climate change skeptic.
(15-08-2023, 10:21 AM)C_T_Russell Wrote: My friend cant put out anymore than 5KW on his street because his street cant handle it he tells me.
That is the case in regard to most lines companies but more accurately the 5kW maximum is per phase. For properties with 3 phase power connections they can double up to 10kW (or beyond if you are brave enough to accept the volatility of export prices based on the wholesale electricity market as >10kW aren't able to export under domestic terms).

The 5kW cap per phase is to avoid unbalancing the local grid phases which poses a potential risk to supply infrastructure. In our case we have 9kW all connected to one phase and the inverter is set up to throttle back our export to 5kW maximum. We work towards consuming as much as possible via EV charging and HWC diversion to avoid our 'excess' generation (which is exported to the grid) reaching 5kW.
While the headline was good the behind the scenes cost of the policy is eyewatering. Almost $3 billion. Some good potential but with other pressures on govt spending a nice to have.
(21-08-2023, 09:47 PM)Wainuiguy Wrote: While the headline was good the behind the scenes cost of the policy is eyewatering.  Almost $3 billion.  Some good potential but with other pressures on govt spending a nice to have.
And the supporting data for your $3 billion claims is?
(21-08-2023, 10:03 PM)harm_less Wrote:
(21-08-2023, 09:47 PM)Wainuiguy Wrote: While the headline was good the behind the scenes cost of the policy is eyewatering.  Almost $3 billion.  Some good potential but with other pressures on govt spending a nice to have.
And the supporting data for your $3 billion claims is?

Oh sorry I was wrong on the $3billion....

https://www.1news.co.nz/2023/08/13/up-to...ns-policy/
(21-08-2023, 10:08 PM)Wainuiguy Wrote:
(21-08-2023, 10:03 PM)harm_less Wrote: And the supporting data for your $3 billion claims is?

Oh sorry I was wrong on the $3billion....

So for what amounts to $1,000 per capita New Zealand's more deserving homes gain a degree of energy independence and lower living costs. Can't see too much wrong with that.
(21-08-2023, 10:15 PM)harm_less Wrote:
(21-08-2023, 10:08 PM)Wainuiguy Wrote: Oh sorry I was wrong on the $3billion....

So for what amounts to $1,000 per capita New Zealand's more deserving homes gain a degree of energy independence and lower living costs. Can't see too much wrong with that.

Do you think there could be other things that $5billon could be spent on in the present environment?

Considering you started this thread the fact you didn't know the cost is surprising.
(21-08-2023, 10:22 PM)Wainuiguy Wrote:
(21-08-2023, 10:15 PM)harm_less Wrote: So for what amounts to $1,000 per capita New Zealand's more deserving homes gain a degree of energy independence and lower living costs. Can't see too much wrong with that.

Do you think there could be other things that $5billon could be spent on in the present environment?

Considering you started this thread the fact you didn't know the cost is surprising.
Self sufficiency in renewable energy including financial assistance to the least well off all done as we face increasing environmental degradation and climatic disasters. It seems very well suited to present conditions.

The cost is nothing out of the ordinary for a policy of this significance. I just needed you to confirm your claims rather than taking them at face value.
(21-08-2023, 10:30 PM)harm_less Wrote:
(21-08-2023, 10:22 PM)Wainuiguy Wrote: Do you think there could be other things that $5billon could be spent on in the present environment?

Self sufficiency in renewable energy including financial assistance to the least well off all done as we face increasing environmental degradation and climatic disasters. It seems very well suited to present conditions.

The cost is nothing out of the ordinary for a policy of this significance. I just needed you to confirm your claims rather than taking them at face value.

So you knew the cost?
Considering the potential savings and profits to be made from this policy the costs are very reasonable, wouldn't you say?