Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The water dish on the cat superhighway
We have water dishes at two of our external doors but I had also noticed our cat drinking from the lotus containers as well so I gave him an ice cream container of water nearby. It's also near a gap in the fence that several neighbours' cats come through from time to time. Our outdoor camera has shown that the number of cats coming through has increased and every one stops for a drink on the way past. I'm not sure that our guy really wants to share, or that he appreciates so many visitors, but it looks like word has got around that there's a free drink to be had.
I have water dishes all over the garden. Hedgehogs, cats, and I suspect other warm bloods regularly visit. I even have a few on fence posts for the birds, with a stone in each for bees and other small creatures. I figure if we need hydrating, so so other living beings.

And old water - as in dechlorinated, tastes better than fresh out of the tap.
Yes my cat will lap water up from the path, or drink out of some old bucket that has collected water, rather than my fresh filtered water. Out for a ride on my ebike today, and I see at a drinking fountain an icecream container on the ground, so people can water their dog as well as themselves.

40km today, my new record.
In and out of jobs, running free
Waging war with society
(24-02-2024, 08:44 PM)Zurdo Wrote: Yes my cat will lap water up from the path, or drink out of some old bucket that has collected water, rather than my fresh filtered water. Out for a ride on my ebike today, and I see at a drinking fountain an icecream container on the ground, so people can water their dog as well as themselves.

40km today, my new record.

Yes, they do seem to prefer "natural". Mains water in a container will lose the chlorine in a few hours but I guess the taste is still a bit sterile sometimes. The locals all seem happy with what I've left out though.

(24-02-2024, 07:56 PM)Oh_hunnihunni Wrote: I have water dishes all over the garden. Hedgehogs, cats, and I suspect other warm bloods regularly visit. I even have a few on fence posts for the birds, with a stone in each for bees and other small creatures. I figure if we need hydrating, so so other living beings.

And old water - as in dechlorinated, tastes better than fresh out of the tap.

Lucky you to have hedgehogs. We're also far enough away from ground nesting birds to not need to worry about them as pests so they are welcome here and we do have some from time to time but not for a while. I do have a corner of the garden set up with enough cover to give them somewhere to hide if any do move in for a while.