Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
This government hates farmers
Anyone listen to newstalk ZB?
HDPA was on the air talking about this today, some last minute policy by labour to grab voters away from the greens.
She said it's predicted to cause 1 in every 5 farms to close down. Dairy farmers are forecast to loose $80K per year with current milk prices and they want to slap more regulations to force food prices up more and extra compliance costs.
The only way to reduce these BS emissions is to have less animals. Now they are talking about vaccines, drugs, genetic engineering and all sorts of shit to put into these animals to reduce emissions.
Perhaps the best thing is to see all our farms close and then wait for all the townies to winge when there is no milk or meat on the supermarket shelves.
Then they will only have insects to enjoy on the dinner table.
If farms fail to make profit,  then our economy is screwed and so is a great chunk of revenue for the govt too.
These guys running this sinking ship are a bunch of clowns.
https://www.1news.co.nz/2023/08/18/govt-...emissions/
Unapologetic NZ first voter, white cis male, climate change skeptic.
HDPA?

Now there's a balanced journo for you...
Well I personally think Farmers just need to wake up to the new reality of climate change...

It's a long read, but I read this statement below as a very good reason for farmers to get on board, otherwise they may find their market drying up...

Quote:At the same time, the commercial market has shifted, with companies like Nestle, Mars and Danone, which buy significant quantities of New Zealand milk powder, announcing they will only buy from suppliers who achieve significant emissions cuts. Their policies are driven by consumer preferences, as more customers demand lower emissions food. Offshore supermarkets, like British multinational Tesco, also have emissions targets.
https://www.rnz.co.nz/programmes/in-dept...-emissions
This world would be a perfect place if it wasn't for the people.

Sharesies | Buy Crypto | Surfshark VPN | Cloud Backup
On The Nation right now, the two parties debate climate change policy. Greens James Shaw with his long term involvement in environmental politics v Simon Watts, our very own North Shore John Key lookalike, in his very first years as an MP.

Bit unfair perhaps, lol.
(19-08-2023, 09:36 AM)king1 Wrote: Well I personally think Farmers just need to wake up to the new reality of climate change...

It's a long read, but I read this statement below as a very good reason for farmers to get on board, otherwise they may find their market drying up...

Quote:At the same time, the commercial market has shifted, with companies like Nestle, Mars and Danone, which buy significant quantities of New Zealand milk powder, announcing they will only buy from suppliers who achieve significant emissions cuts. Their policies are driven by consumer preferences, as more customers demand lower emissions food. Offshore supermarkets, like British multinational Tesco, also have emissions targets.

I agree. Damien O'Connor was talking about exactly that in Parliament the other day.   

I live in a dairy farming town and the attitudes of the locals are stuck in the last millennium when it comes to the environment.   When milk solids prices are high they take full personal credit; if the market shrinks further because of Aotearoa's emissions profile, and prices drop, they will carry on blaming the government.
Money before human lives...
What could you say about someone who thinks that ZB and its stable of simps is a believable source of information?
I do have other cameras!
(19-08-2023, 09:36 AM)king1 Wrote: Well I personally think Farmers just need to wake up to the new reality of climate change...

Add to that the looming risk to NZ farmers of precision fermentation. Those big companies are cost driven and as their supplies can be met by much more cheaply produced (economically and environmentally) they will drop traditional farmers like a hot potato, and those with the worst environmental degradation will be the first ones ditched. This presentation gives the likely scenario for the change away from pastoral farming and Tony Seba has proved to be deadly accurate in his predictions for more than a decade now if not slightly on the conservative side.

If NZ farmers think that their 'naturally farmed' produce will provide a market advantage over lab produced proteins this is all the more reason to get their shit together (pun intended) and prove the purity of their products. Whinging and bitching about the unfairness of environmental regulations will get them nowhere and reflects badly in the public arena to the detriment of our more responsible farmers.

Add to that the the golden rule of production that you must focus on the demands of your customers. In other words grow what your market demands as to produce what best suits your resources and then blindly expecting that customers will line up for your wares is a recipe for economic disaster, and that is what appears to be the case for our farmers, and especially dairy farmers. This combined with a refusal to add significant value to basic produce lines is totally the wrong way for a geographically isolated country like NZ to earn an income. The practice of exporting whole sheep carcasses was replaced by vacuum packed prime cuts decades ago but other producers continue to ship tonnes of dried milk and logs for example and can't understand why they're now on the bones of their arses.
(19-08-2023, 10:36 AM)Praktica Wrote: What could you say about someone who thinks that ZB and its stable of simps is a believable source of information?

The clue is in the name though... Newstalk? Nah....
(19-08-2023, 10:32 AM)Oh_hunnihunni Wrote: Money before human lives...

No humans are at risk and if money is important if food costs more people will go without.
Climate change is a fraud, fabricated to install fear into the population as a way to control it and it appears to be working.
(19-08-2023, 11:49 AM)C_T_Russell Wrote:
(19-08-2023, 10:32 AM)Oh_hunnihunni Wrote: Money before human lives...

No humans are at risk and if money is important if food costs more people will go without.
Climate change is a fraud, fabricated to install fear into the population as a way to control it and it appears to be working.
There are none so blind as those that refuse to see Rolleyes
Is Fontera going broke ? Who owns Fontera ?
In and out of jobs, running free
Waging war with society
(19-08-2023, 11:51 AM)harm_less Wrote:
(19-08-2023, 11:49 AM)C_T_Russell Wrote: No humans are at risk and if money is important if food costs more people will go without.
There are none so blind as those that refuse to see Rolleyes
Prove to me that sheep are changing the climate and perhaps I might believe you.
(19-08-2023, 12:47 PM)Zurdo Wrote: Is Fontera going broke ?  Who owns Fontera ?

Fonterra is a farmer owned cooperative and going by the comments in the media lately many of those farmers are in danger of going to the wall, or that might just be media spin....
So, they are paying themselves less...and moaning about it ? Those on the right forming a Cooperative, how do they justify that ?
In and out of jobs, running free
Waging war with society
(19-08-2023, 12:51 PM)C_T_Russell Wrote:
(19-08-2023, 11:51 AM)harm_less Wrote: There are none so blind as those that refuse to see Rolleyes
Prove to me that sheep are changing the climate and perhaps I might believe you.
Sheep are less problematic than cattle and particularly dairying which is typically far more intensive than broad acre sheep operations. Plenty of information for you to consume here: https://www.agmatters.nz/farm-types/sheep-and-beef/
Climate change is way past the believe it or not stage. The science is clear. The evidence is clear. The results are obvious.

To 'believe' otherwise is to play ostrich. Good luck with that attitude.
(19-08-2023, 01:30 PM)Zurdo Wrote: So, they are paying themselves less...and moaning about it ?  Those on the right forming a Cooperative, how do they justify that ?
That's the usual situation with cooperatives. The governing board does what it deems best for the organisation and those who stand to lose from the results of that strategy bleat like hell. Pretty much like how any democratic system works I guess.
(19-08-2023, 01:23 PM)harm_less Wrote:
(19-08-2023, 12:47 PM)Zurdo Wrote: Is Fontera going broke ?  Who owns Fontera ?

Fonterra is a farmer owned cooperative and going by the comments in the media lately many of those farmers are in danger of going to the wall, or that might just be media spin....
Fronterra was the worst thing to happen to the industry, its too big for its own good.
We were better off with more players in the sector.

(19-08-2023, 02:39 PM)Oh_hunnihunni Wrote: Climate change is way past the believe it or not stage. The science is clear. The evidence is clear. The results are obvious.

To 'believe' otherwise is to play ostrich. Good luck with that attitude.

The climate has always changed, we just need to get over it.
Life goes on, and who cares if half the world's population is gone in a few thousand years? The planet will be better off won't it?
We are getting close to 8 billion now and that's far too much.
(19-08-2023, 02:55 PM)C_T_Russell Wrote:
(19-08-2023, 01:23 PM)harm_less Wrote: Fonterra is a farmer owned cooperative and going by the comments in the media lately many of those farmers are in danger of going to the wall, or that might just be media spin....
Fronterra was the worst thing to happen to the industry, its too big for its own good.
We were better off with more players in the sector.
That leads to international customers playing one seller off against another effectively dragging the returns down to those asked by the weakest player.