Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Canadian city empties as fire threatens
Yellowknife, in Canada's northwest has seen people flee hundreds of kilometres to safety. That must be so scary,poor people.

https://www.1news.co.nz/2023/08/19/city-...dfire/#_=_

anada showed no signs of easing.
"Airtankers flew missions overnight to keep the only route out of Yellowknife open. Meanwhile, a network of fire guards, sprinklers and water cannons was being established to try to protect the city from the fire, which had moved to within 15 kilometres.
"We've still got some really difficult days ahead. There's no denying that," said fire information officer Mike Westwick. He said winds from the north and northwest predicted for the weekend could "push the fires in directions we don't want them to go".
Hundreds of kilometres south of Yellowknife, homes were burning in West Kelowna, British Columbia, a city of about 38,000, after a wildfire grew "exponentially worse" than expected overnight, the fire chief said.

Residents had already been ordered to evacuate 2400 properties, while another 4800 properties were on evacuation alert. The BC Wildfire Service said the fire grew six times larger overnight and it stretches over 68 square kilometres."
in order to be old & wise, you must first be young & stupid. (I'm still working on that.)
I wonder if these events will push the big nations into more effective action...

But I'm not holding my breath.
(20-08-2023, 12:14 PM)Oh_hunnihunni Wrote: I wonder if these events will push the big nations into more effective action...

One thing for sure is that the numerous wildfires will be contributing significantly to a feedback loop scenario in that they will be releasing huge amounts of CO2 into the atmosphere, and that far north you have to wonder whether there is also an effect on permafrost loss which also releases methane. Another 'tipping point' reached in regard to the climate change process.
Everything has consequences and our sins are finding us out...
(20-08-2023, 12:14 PM)Oh_hunnihunni Wrote: I wonder if these events will push the big nations into more effective action...

I'd like to think it would have that effect & get some action to change but it seems unlikely given what's been done so far.
Not-a-bloody-thing isn't going to be of much use to our descendants or theirs.

(20-08-2023, 01:12 PM)harm_less Wrote:

One thing for sure is that the numerous wildfires will be contributing significantly to a feedback loop scenario in that they will be releasing huge amounts of CO2 into the atmosphere, and that far north you have to wonder whether there is also an effect on permafrost loss which also releases methane. Another 'tipping point' reached in regard to the climate change process.

You'd think, wouldn't you that when such potentially disastrous things are happening that might be a bit of a clue that it really is time to clean up our mess. But no - I suspect there'll be no shortage though, of fine words & gatherings of politicians, whose actions in consequance will amount to zero.
 Or as close as they can get to it.

Dodgy

The world is a weird place. And humans are crazy.
in order to be old & wise, you must first be young & stupid. (I'm still working on that.)
Not even bothering to re-arrange the deckchairs on the Titanic.
It's not the least charm of a theory that it is refutable. The hundred-times-refuted theory of "free will" owes its persistence to this charm alone; some one is always appearing who feels himself strong enough to refute it - Friedrich Nietzsche
Quote:. . . " But no - I suspect there'll be no shortage though, of fine words & gatherings of politicians, whose actions in consequance will amount to zero.
Or as close as they can get to it.""

At a guess, the catering bills for the trough-snouters would be about as far away from zero as they can get it.
Entropy is not what
it used to be.
(20-08-2023, 04:58 PM)R2x1 Wrote:
Quote:. . . " But no - I suspect there'll be no shortage though, of fine words & gatherings of politicians, whose actions in consequance will amount to zero.
Or as close as they can get to it.""

At a guess, the catering bills for the trough-snouters would be about as far away from zero as they can get it.

I'd say your guess is right on the money...literally. Rolleyes Big Grin

Like what exactly? Give arsonists the death penalty?
Unapologetic NZ first voter, white cis male, climate change skeptic.
Arguing climate change with you would be a waste of my time, don't you think?
It's not climate change, it's wildfires lit by arsonists, likely who are some sick activists who want the world to buy into the climate narrative.
(27-08-2023, 10:43 AM)C_T_Russell Wrote: It's not climate change, it's wildfires lit by arsonists, likely who are some sick activists who want the world to buy into the climate narrative.
So maybe the sudden increase in such activity is due to overheated brains in those arsonists caused by loitering around in 40 degree plus temperatures in countries globally? And what's causing those temperature extremes then... ?
El Nino weather patterns.
(27-08-2023, 10:51 AM)harm_less Wrote:
(27-08-2023, 10:43 AM)C_T_Russell Wrote: It's not climate change, it's wildfires lit by arsonists, likely who are some sick activists who want the world to buy into the climate narrative.
So maybe the sudden increase in such activity is due to overheated brains in those arsonists caused by loitering around in 40 degree plus temperatures in countries globally? And what's causing those temperature extremes then... ?

Waiting with bated breath for the answer.... Rolleyes Angel Big Grin
Majority of them are natural causes, lightening strikes etc... Some are caused by humans but that doesn't necessarily imply Arson...

https://ciffc.net/summary
This world would be a perfect place if it wasn't for the people.

Sharesies | Buy Crypto | Surfshark VPN | Cloud Backup