Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
ACT candidate resigns
After comparing covid vaccine mandates to 'concentration camps.'
The ignorance is astounding.

https://www.odt.co.nz/star-news/star-nat...centration

"An Act Party candidate has resigned after her historical comments comparing Covid-19 vaccine mandates to Nazi concentration camps came to light.
Another candidate has apologised and renounced online comments which suggested drownings were connected to the effect of the vaccine, but he has been kept on as a candidate.
Act leader David Seymour said the party’s Rangitata candidate Elaine Naidu Franz, 29th on the list, had offered to stand down after 1News brought her previous comments to Seymour’s attention today.
Seymour said he accepted her offer on the spot.

The party leader was still confident in Act’s candidate vetting process. He said it was impossible to check a candidate’s entire online history and noted how it was likely old online comments resurfacing would be a growing problem for New Zealand politics.
At some point as a society, we have to deal with that,” he said.
Seymour said some people who had applied to be candidates were rejected due to historical comments they’d made. He couldn’t say whether those comments had been primarily Covid-related."
in order to be old & wise, you must first be young & stupid. (I'm still working on that.)
i like the hint of denial in his comment... 
Quote:“At some point as a society, we have to deal with that,” he said

Nope, I believe society is dealing with it already - one down...

Godwins law says one thing about people -  how quick some people seem to want to prove it's validity says volumes as well...
This world would be a perfect place if it wasn't for the people.

Sharesies | Buy Crypto | Surfshark VPN | Cloud Backup
Parties need to do better background checks on their candidates. All parties. Heavens, they are employees. Reference check them till their pips squeak and there'll be fewer surprises.
(23-08-2023, 04:03 PM)Oh_hunnihunni Wrote: Parties need to do better background checks on their candidates. All parties. Heavens, they are employees. Reference check them till their pips squeak and there'll be fewer surprises.

Seymour has said today that it is impossible to check all candidates' social media.    That's nonsense, half an hour would be more than enough per person.  I think he's pitching his excuses to his older followers who don't really understand social media.
(23-08-2023, 07:01 PM)Olive Wrote:
(23-08-2023, 04:03 PM)Oh_hunnihunni Wrote: Parties need to do better background checks on their candidates. All parties. Heavens, they are employees. Reference check them till their pips squeak and there'll be fewer surprises.

Seymour has said today that it is impossible to check all candidates' social media.    That's nonsense, half an hour would be more than enough per person.  I think he's pitching his excuses to his older followers who don't really understand social media.

I think that's probably it, & it wouldn't surprise me too much to find that he isn't altogether averse to the views of of the antivax brigade if it suits politically.
in order to be old & wise, you must first be young & stupid. (I'm still working on that.)
Well, what do we expect. Demons and anti vaxers. And we are expected to bother voting for these people?
(23-08-2023, 07:45 PM)Oh_hunnihunni Wrote: Well, what do we expect. Demons and anti vaxers. And we are expected to bother voting for these people?

Some of us - only some of us - will fall for this lot. 

Although it really is very difficult to comperhend those who do. I sometimes wonder whether greed might not be a mental illness of some kind.
Those with the most greed see it as a nation-building virtue of the highest kind.
Entropy is not what
it used to be.
"Those with the most greed see it as a nation-building virtue of the highest kind"

Yes and at least part of it is simple-mindedness, the last and worst attribute needed in people running the country.
It's not the least charm of a theory that it is refutable. The hundred-times-refuted theory of "free will" owes its persistence to this charm alone; some one is always appearing who feels himself strong enough to refute it - Friedrich Nietzsche
(23-08-2023, 07:01 PM)Olive Wrote:

Any intelligent employer searches a potential employee's social media history as part of their job application process. For Seymour to say they don't do this is either ignorant or dishonest on his part.
[Image: F4UZgOOa0AA3V6T?format=jpg&name=large]
(23-08-2023, 03:04 PM)Lilith7 Wrote: After comparing covid vaccine mandates to 'concentration camps.'

"An Act Party candidate has resigned after her historical comments comparing Covid-19 vaccine mandates to Nazi concentration camps came to light.
Another candidate has apologised and renounced online comments which suggested drownings were connected to the effect of the vaccine, but he has been kept on as a candidate.
Act leader David Seymour said the party’s Rangitata candidate Elaine Naidu Franz, 29th on the list, had offered to stand down after 1News brought her previous comments to Seymour’s attention today.

The party leader was still confident in Act’s candidate vetting process. He said it was impossible to check a candidate’s entire online history and noted how it was likely old online comments resurfacing would be a growing problem for New Zealand politics.
Seymour said some people who had applied to be candidates were rejected due to historical comments they’d made. He couldn’t say whether those comments had been primarily Covid-related."

Disappointed with Seymour here, he should have stood by that candidate, her comments were 100% on the mark, those who were unvaxxed felt just like Jews having to wear the star of David.
Lots of Jews could see the comparison.
Unapologetic NZ first voter, white cis male, climate change skeptic.
(25-08-2023, 10:52 AM)harm_less Wrote:
(23-08-2023, 07:01 PM)Olive Wrote: Seymour has said today that it is impossible to check all candidates' social media.    That's nonsense, half an hour would be more than enough per person.  I think he's pitching his excuses to his older followers who don't really understand social media.
Any intelligent employer searches a potential employee's social media history as part of their job application process. For Seymour to say they don't do this is either ignorant or dishonest on his part.

I think the local committees involved in selection are very lax in thus regard. Jobs for mates over intelligent selection processes.
(27-08-2023, 09:23 AM)C_T_Russell Wrote:
(23-08-2023, 03:04 PM)Lilith7 Wrote: After comparing covid vaccine mandates to 'concentration camps.'

Disappointed with Seymour here, he should have stood by that candidate, her comments were 100% on the mark, those who were unvaxxed felt just like Jews having to wear the star of David.
Why does everyone with a 'cause' always seem to liken there predicament to the Nazis/Jews, like it can ever be comparable... 

Jews didn't have a choice - unvaxxed did...

(27-08-2023, 09:23 AM)C_T_Russell Wrote:

Seriously??!  Dodgy

And was all their property confiscated?  And was there a real danger of being marched off to a death camp for those gullible ones who decided not to vaccinate? 

That's an extremely silly comparison.
(27-08-2023, 12:18 PM)king1 Wrote:
(27-08-2023, 09:23 AM)C_T_Russell Wrote: Disappointed with Seymour here, he should have stood by that candidate, her comments were 100% on the mark, those who were unvaxxed felt just like Jews having to wear the star of David.
Why does everyone with a 'cause' always seem to liken there predicament to the Nazis/Jews, like it can ever be comparable... 

Doesn't really matter, it caused division. It's not freedom of choice when your held to ransom to get a jab just so you can keep your job.
As far as the nazis go, they threw tons of people into the camps.
The jehovah's witnesses were thrown into the camps along with the jews and were told they could sign a form that said they could be set free if they stopped practicing their faith, many of them didn't and got killed in the gas chambers, even though it was a cult, that was a horrific thing the nazis did, I still hold huge respect for them making a stand like that even if they were in a cult.
Anyway so many human rights were broken with the vaccine pass system, that's why so many court cases are being won right now with employers having to pay out huge amounts of money to those affected.
That's why I didn't give a crap about using a fake vaccine pass, the whole system was illegal and should have never been implemented.
Unapologetic NZ first voter, white cis male, climate change skeptic.
It's the human right of the majority to remain safe from crazy minorities who seem to think that their human rights include doing anything they please and putting the majority at risk; in this case by encouraging a pandemic to spread more rather than less by not getting vaccinated.
It's not the least charm of a theory that it is refutable. The hundred-times-refuted theory of "free will" owes its persistence to this charm alone; some one is always appearing who feels himself strong enough to refute it - Friedrich Nietzsche
(27-08-2023, 11:02 PM)C_T_Russell Wrote: That's why I didn't give a crap about using a fake vaccine pass...

That's disgraceful.   You are freely admitting that you didn't give a crap about anyone else's health.   I wonder how many vulnerable people you infected.     You should be ashamed of yourself.
I got my webworm newsletter this morning, and read a not so surprising update on the culture at Bethleham School, where antigay sentiment remains strong despite ERO involvement. In the piece Farrier points out the number of conversion therapy supporters in the National Party, including Simeon Brown, Simon O'Connor, and candidate Greg Fleming who is associated with the Venn Foundation which actively works with conversion therapists.

I continue to be genuinely horrified by the extent to which this nastiness has permeated our community, and the fact few voices are calling it out.
(27-08-2023, 11:02 PM)C_T_Russell Wrote:
(27-08-2023, 12:18 PM)king1 Wrote: Why does everyone with a 'cause' always seem to liken there predicament to the Nazis/Jews, like it can ever be comparable... 

Doesn't really matter, it caused division. It's not freedom of choice when your held to ransom to get a jab just so you can keep your job.
As far as the nazis go, they threw tons of people into the camps.

Anyway so many human rights were broken with the vaccine pass system, that's why so many court cases are being won right now with employers having to pay out huge amounts of money to those affected.
That's why I didn't give a crap about using a fake vaccine pass, the whole system was illegal and should have never been implemented.

on behalf of the other 99% of New Zealanders, you're welcome...