Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Nat MP stood down
Tim Van de Molen has been stood down after finding he threatened a Labour MP. Not a good look so close to an election.

https://www.rnz.co.nz/news/political/496...portfolios

"National MP Tim van de Molen has been stood down from his portfolios for contempt of Parliament, after threatening behaviour towards Labour's Shanan Halbert.  National leader Christopher Luxon stood the MP down after Parliament's Privileges Committee found him in contempt and recommended he be censured.  The committee found van de Molen had threatened Halbert and impeded his ability to perform his duties.
  Van de Molen was referred to the committee early this month after Labour's Rachel Boyack claimed he had threatened or intimidated Halbert during a Transport and Infrastructure Select Committee session in June.  He was accused of standing over Halbert, which prompting other MPs to surround the Labour MP, who is chair of the Transport committee."
in order to be old & wise, you must first be young & stupid. (I'm still working on that.)
Van Molen is my local MP.   He puts his name to ghastly far-right weekly columns in the local paper and his ghastly far-right views are shared by many locals.   I'm delighted that he has been shown up as a bully, but I don't think it will affect his electoral success at all.
The committee wouldn't stand for it, so the sitting member was stood down?

That sounds like a cricket commentary on the radio.
Entropy is not what
it used to be.
Another one with a hobby horse and a wooden sword to wave around? Are they attracting these idiots?
I hope so, don't want them out here with us !
Entropy is not what
it used to be.
He's been the MP for Piako forever, just gets voted in every year by the farmers. So this is very good news - it's the first time I've ever heard his name mentioned, otherwise politically he's a nobody.
In and out of jobs, running free
Waging war with society
If we have never heard of an MP, it probably means they are skating through and not worth the salary.
The only local one I remember here was Tim Barnett, one of the first openly gay MP's, & I only remember him due to him being the only MP to ever hold a street corner meeting.
in order to be old & wise, you must first be young & stupid. (I'm still working on that.)