Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Wealthy people donating to political parties
Perhaps its time to change the way we do things when it comes to donating to political parties. Perhaps allocating each party a modest amount which they're allowed to accept in donations, & put an end to anonymous donations might work. 
After all politicians are keen to tell voters they might have to tighten their belts - they'd surely welcome the chance to show us all how good their budgeting skills are.

https://www.rnz.co.nz/news/on-the-inside...al-parties

"Our current research into New Zealand's political donations system aims to shed light on this often obscure process.
Last year, just over NZ$2.73 million was donated to 10 of New Zealand's 15 registered political parties.
Current rules require the public disclosure of any donations over $15,000. The government has proposed dropping this public disclosure threshold to $1500 (a move opposed by both the National and Act parties).

The proposed reforms to the political donation rules follow Serious Fraud Office investigations into the handling of donations received by the National, Labour and NZ First parties. All three investigations have resulted in court proceedings, with the first case just ended with the judge reserving his decision.
Given the apparent confusion and disputed legal requirements around transparency,  a basic question needs to be asked: why do wealthy New Zealanders donate to political parties?

Our interviewees' reasons for donating varied.

Most invoked some desire to "participate". Participation took different forms - from supporting a party that had similar values to the donor, to just being part of the political process.

But the donors we spoke to said they did not gain extra influence as a result of their donation, nor did they seek it.

A couple of cautions are in order, however.

The fact they were willing to be interviewed by researchers may suggest our interviewees were more comfortable with their donations than other donors might be.

Second, even while insisting they did not gain extra influence, some made other comments suggesting some level influence was a consequence of the donation.

With two more donations-related court cases to come this year, pressure is mounting for changes to the way political parties are funded.
Such reform appears necessary to create greater transparency about donations and ensure that trust in Aotearoa New Zealand's political funding system is not permanently eroded."

https://theconversation.com/tougher-dona...all-209851

"Less than three months out from New Zealand’s 2023 election, large political donations have been making headlines. Donations to both the ACT Party and the National Party have significantly outpaced large-scale contributions to other political groups.

Should this be a cause for concern? Studies from overseas indicate those who raise the most money tend to win. And, based on our recent “Doughnation” research, donors know that too. Wealthy New Zealanders admitted to gaining access to the levers of power through political donations.

So do our current campaign finance rules do enough to protect a basic principle of democracy – that we should all be equal in the ballot box?
Not according to an interim report from the Independent Electoral Review, which warns New Zealand’s current electoral laws are still “not as fair as they could be”.

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/politics/n...J7B4TGAUI/

"The National Party may start election year with a $2.3 million war chest raised from 24 big donors in 2022, while Labour has declared just $150,000 in large donations, according to Electoral Commission records.

The disparity has seen National raise more money from large donors in one year than Labour has raised in nearly a decade.

Most of National’s funds are thanks to a fundraising blitz from former deputy leader Paula Bennett who tapped richlisters, including New Zealand’s wealthiest man, for as much as $250,000 each last year. 

With Labour declaring just $150,000 in large donations last year, National raised more than $15 from its big money donors for every $1 Labour raised from its own large donors. However, Labour has historically relied on many smaller donations which are not immediately published by the Electoral Commission.

Labour’s coffers were boosted with a late donation of $50,000 from the family of Phillip Mills of Les Mills gym fame in December. Mills has previously donated to Labour and the Greens."
in order to be old & wise, you must first be young & stupid. (I'm still working on that.)
" . . . people donating to political parties" This ensures the selection of the finest politicians money can buy
The technical term for later donations is : Tax. To minimise this, pay early by donating to political parties.

Pope Brian wants that changed to Tithe.
Entropy is not what
it used to be.
Same sort of corrupt practices as in America.

“Corrupt Practice” means the offering, giving, receiving or soliciting, directly or indirectly, of anything of value to influence improperly the actions of another party.
It's not the least charm of a theory that it is refutable. The hundred-times-refuted theory of "free will" owes its persistence to this charm alone; some one is always appearing who feels himself strong enough to refute it - Friedrich Nietzsche
I still think our biggest mistake is to have political representatives who volunteer for the job.
(25-08-2023, 06:55 PM)Oh_hunnihunni Wrote: I still think our biggest mistake is to have political representatives who volunteer for the job.

Mark Twain was none too keen on politicians either.

"The desire to become a politician should be sufficient to warrant being banned from ever doing so for life."

"Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress. But, I repeat myself."

"Politicians and diapers must be changed often,& for the same reason."

Mark Twain
in order to be old & wise, you must first be young & stupid. (I'm still working on that.)
(25-08-2023, 06:55 PM)Oh_hunnihunni Wrote: I still think our biggest mistake is to have political representatives who volunteer for the job.

maybe one could be randomly called up for service, a bit like jury duty...
This world would be a perfect place if it wasn't for the people.

Sharesies | Buy Crypto | Surfshark VPN | Cloud Backup
Or shoulder tapped by a committee randomly selected, like that jury...
(25-08-2023, 09:00 PM)king1 Wrote:

maybe one could be randomly called up for service, a bit like jury duty...

That's probably not a bad idea.
Unapologetic NZ first voter, white cis male, climate change skeptic.
A bit of a nightmare for any poor sod it happened to but unlikely to be worse than our present system.