Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Street name chosen by Iwi 'too long'
Yes it is a bit long - but I can manage to pronounce it without becoming overcome with fatigue, & I suspect most will also manage it. It really isn't that difficult at 17 letters & better than Acacia st which is what they want.

https://www.stuff.co.nz/bay-of-plenty/30...s-too-long

"A 17-letter name, the traditional Māori name for the location, has been rejected by Bay of Plenty residents for being too long, leaving it a street with no name.
Papakangahorohoro Road was proposed as the name of a development of new houses at Bunyan Rd, Whakatāne, after the Whakatāne District Council consulted with local iwi.
The name – meaning “to move swiftly in battle formation like the crab” – was chosen by Ngāti Awa cultural adviser Pouroto Ngaropō, because the houses were on land where chief Taiwhakaea trained his warriors in defence tactics and battle formations.
Hawkes had originally requested the name Acacia Avenue, but council rejected that on the grounds the road did not meet the criteria for an avenue, which had to be a broad, tree-lined road."

I had a  swift look & found these; perhaps they might prefer them?
Rolleyes Big Grin Big Grin

[b]https://www.thetravel.com/longest-names-in-the-world/
[/b]

"Chargoggagoggmanchauggagoggchaubunagungamaugg: (45 letters) A Lake Located In Massachusetts In the Nipmuc Language. Believed toBe The Longest Official Name In the United States
  • Tweebuffelsmeteenskootmorsdoodgeskietfontein: (44 letters) The Longest Name in Africa and Is a Farm in South Africa In the Afrikaans Language

• Äteritsiputeritsipuolilautatsijänkä: (35 letters) Located In Lapland, Finland. the Longest Name In The European Union (After Brexit)

• Pekwachnamaykoskwaskwaypinwanik: (31 letters) A Lake in Manitoba, Canada. A Cree Word for "where the wild trout are caught by fishing with hooks"

• Andorijidoridaraemihansumbau: (28 letters) A Street in South Korea That Translates As "a road so rocky and rough that even squirrels can't breathe enough."

• Venkatanarasimharajuvaripeta: (28 letters) A Village in India and the Longest Name In India

• Bovenendvankeelafsnysleegte: (27 letters) Another Afrikaans Named Farm in South Africa

• Mamungkukumpurangkuntjunya: (26 letters) A Hill In South Australia Translating as "Where the devil urinates"
in order to be old & wise, you must first be young & stupid. (I'm still working on that.)
It's not a totally stupid name, but you have to give them credit for trying.
By god, they're close.

The Traditional Maori Name was appropriate for the traditional Maori street, serviced by the traditional Maori service. See you later. Perhaps in 1847?
Entropy is not what
it used to be.
I can say it. Not like that other one that goes on and on and on...
" . . . one that goes on and on and on... "

Like Long Covid? It's got that stick-to-it-ivity,  AKA tenacity. and once it (@%#~* Covid ) goes ~ ~ I can resume mobility - but, it sure does enhance scooter fashion enhancement foibles. Does your ShamPain model beat my Burgundy racer for sheer Db output of an Ah-ooo-gah horn? (Pat. Pend.)
Have you got an LED headlight that actually lets you see?    In the dark ! ! ! !
Do you have 4 batteries enabling you (with double the supplied Watt-Hours) to achieve 75% of the advertised range? Except for any uphill bits.
Can you stay dry while scooting through a deluginous downpour?

Unlike my first ever scoot, ~~ which was definitely decidedly deliquescent, aquatic, (and fortunately 97.5% downhill) with a fast vanishing energy reserve. Expletives inserted. Eventually reaching home after a van ride that rivaled the space shuttle for $$ per metre several more expletives were released. .  But other than a couple of "pointing at the sky" wheelstand surprise maneuvers - hopefully now abolished, it's been mostly good  - especially while confined to barracks. Well, at least it's not quite such a surprise to see only clouds out front now.
Wink
Bear in mind, this is NOT a Champagne model; or reading the casualty list could have been a mite tiresome - but a genuine power plus packed, full on excitement assured, Super Durable Burgundy Rocket that (even with it's hue enhanced performance and a learners permit) was stretched to endure the 1.5 KM test, and you will see that winning Lotto would be a trifle. (But, not a totally insignificant trifle.) 
Winning Lotto regularly would definitely assist me to have the resources to save money on transport over limited distances (preferably downhill) provided speed is not important. nor is comfort on Auck Transphut maintained footpaths, nor freedom of passage past the residence of dorks that believe footpaths are for parking bins on several days a week.

Life is just a dream . . . . . . .
Entropy is not what
it used to be.
Ohhhhh yes. I empathise. And add in those mysterious noises that one becomes aware of halfway between departure and arrival... Is that a wayward twig attached to the rear safety wheels or is it the death rattle of some mysterious but vital and expensive part? Reliance on the sheer magic of an electric motor concealed beneath impossible to remove paneling has to come with faith of the religious kind. Which is why I pat her on the handle grips and stroke her tall vinyl clad captain's chair shoulders and murmur words of praise and gratitude because she is doing so well getting me from A to D and home again.

But of course in order to win Lotto I'd have to buy a ticket.
I agree with them, it's a mouthful and I have no idea how pronounce it!
Unapologetic NZ first voter, white cis male, climate change skeptic.
(27-08-2023, 10:04 AM)C_T_Russell Wrote: I agree with them, it's a mouthful and I have no idea how pronounce it!
Just like eating an elephant, one mouthful at a time. It's not rocket science Rolleyes
Who says Karangahape Road ? We develop our own shorthand for long words. Some won't be happy with what the locals will call it, but the English language is always evolving...I live down the road from TK...and up the road from TA.
In and out of jobs, running free
Waging war with society
(27-08-2023, 12:06 PM)Zurdo Wrote: Who says Karangahape Road ?  We develop our own shorthand for long words.  Some won't be happy with what the locals will call it, but the English language is always evolving...I live down the road from TK...and up the road from TA.
Pretty much my guess on where this will go. Pee'horo Road? 

We have Whangamomoana down the road from us, or just 'Whanga' to us from the Naki.
(27-08-2023, 12:15 PM)harm_less Wrote:
(27-08-2023, 12:06 PM)Zurdo Wrote: Who says Karangahape Road ?  We develop our own shorthand for long words.  Some won't be happy with what the locals will call it, but the English language is always evolving...I live down the road from TK...and up the road from TA.
Pretty much my guess on where this will go. Pee'horo Road? 

We have Whangamomoana down the road from us, or just 'Whanga' to us from the Naki.

And there are plenty more. It's not the number of letters but the number of syllables that makes a long word cumbersome, and both of the these examples are only 5 rather than the 8 in the word in questiono. Longer words are also harder to spell (eg Whangamomona). It's also not just about our day to day speech when referring to a place, but when addressing mail or advising emergency services we need to be able to easily get it right - as is outlined in the article. Apparently Acacia Ave was declined because it didn't meet the definition on an avenue, so Acacia St is the obvious solution.
(27-08-2023, 10:04 AM)C_T_Russell Wrote: I agree with them, it's a mouthful and I have no idea how pronounce it!

Really? Try it. It is one of the simpler ones for me...

Papa kanga Horo Horo. Not really that hard is it?
Mate lives in Paraparaumu... sez the locals call it "Pram"
Corgi Wan Kenobi is watching you!
For street names in a strange tongue, I always liked Ti Street. I've yet to hear the abbreviated version though

A friend lives in Te Awamutu ~ locally known as TA.
Entropy is not what
it used to be.
(27-08-2023, 07:35 AM)Oh_hunnihunni Wrote: Ohhhhh yes. I empathise. And add in those mysterious noises that one becomes aware of halfway between departure and arrival... Is that a wayward twig attached to the rear safety wheels or is it the death rattle of some mysterious but vital and expensive part? Reliance on the sheer magic of an electric motor concealed beneath impossible to remove paneling has to come with faith of the religious kind. Which is why I pat her on the handle grips and stroke her tall vinyl clad captain's chair shoulders and murmur words of praise and gratitude because she is doing so well getting me from A to D and home again.

Rear safety wheels? What's them? Sounds like a good idea, the road cone trailing on a string doesn't do a lot.

Mine has all the wiring hanging out at he moment as the modifications proceed, lots of chances for fun there. Alas, I might have to start reassembly, the Doc reckons if the tests stay as they are until Tuesday I can venture away from home for the first time in quite a while. Maybe even as far as Devenport if I just pass two more tests. (But not by scooter unless my range enhancement does more than I think it can)  

So that is the secret to winning Lotto? I thought the odds are so mathematically unfavourable that  it only requires a very tiny change in the odds to find the winning ticket blowing in the street    Tongue
Entropy is not what
it used to be.
(27-08-2023, 02:46 PM)Oh_hunnihunni Wrote:

Really? Try it. It is one of the simpler ones for me...

Papa kanga Horo Horo. Not really that hard is it?

Yep, it really isn't a difficult one at all & nor is it that long.

(27-08-2023, 03:37 PM)R2x1 Wrote:
(27-08-2023, 07:35 AM)Oh_hunnihunni Wrote: Ohhhhh yes. I empathise. And add in those mysterious noises that one becomes aware of halfway between departure and arrival... Is that a wayward twig attached to the rear safety wheels or is it the death rattle of some mysterious but vital and expensive part? Reliance on the sheer magic of an electric motor concealed beneath impossible to remove paneling has to come with faith of the religious kind. Which is why I pat her on the handle grips and stroke her tall vinyl clad captain's chair shoulders and murmur words of praise and gratitude because she is doing so well getting me from A to D and home again.

Rear safety wheels? What's them? Sounds like a good idea, the road cone trailing on a string doesn't do a lot.

Mine has all the wiring hanging out at he moment as the modifications proceed, lots of chances for fun there. Alas, I might have to start reassembly, the Doc reckons if the tests stay as they are until Tuesday I can venture away from home for the first time in quite a while. Maybe even as far as Devenport if I just pass two more tests. (But not by scooter unless my range enhancement does more than I think it can)  

So that is the secret to winning Lotto? I thought the odds are so mathematically unfavourable that  it only requires a very tiny change in the odds to find the winning ticket blowing in the street    Tongue

I gave up buying Lotto tickets decades ago, when it finally dawned on me that I don't win money - small things like the odd DVD or book very,very occasionlly. 
Big Grin

The one & only time I ever won anything on Lotto was around a hundred years ago when a boyfriend & I went halves in a ticket & won $100 so $50 each. He was one of those tinny people who was often winning a little bit on lotto or horse races.
in order to be old & wise, you must first be young & stupid. (I'm still working on that.)
(27-08-2023, 03:37 PM)R2x1 Wrote:

Well, some damned fool asked me if those were training wheels... But I was very restrained, I didn't even cock a snoot. So disciplined.  Big Grin

You need to just be good and do what you are told healthwise. Summer is coming, great scooting weather, no point in letting long covid call a halt to road trips.
Those training wheels seem like they would have kept me on the straight and narrow a couple of times. My scoot did not have any, but there's a couple of square tubes that look like they are intended as mountings. Might look into that - - Smile

Long Covid can call a halt, I just will be listening in a different direction. Wink Aren't these tests like School Cert? Once you've passed, that is it?
Entropy is not what
it used to be.

Try it out syllable by syllable.   It's not hard and it's time you started to educate yourself.   If you are in doubt about the pronunciation of the vowels they are (approximately):

Pah pah kah ngah hor ror hor ror

Papakangahoroh
I wouldn't trust any test - especially since they invented false positives. But then I don't really trust doctors that much either.

Ever since one of them told me I couldn't have babies.

Cue Rolling Eyes emoji followed by Fainting one...
(27-08-2023, 04:13 PM)Oh_hunnihunni Wrote: I wouldn't trust any test - especially since they invented false positives. But then I don't really trust doctors that much either.

Ever since one of them told me I couldn't have babies.

Cue Rolling Eyes emoji followed by Fainting one...
SNAP! Well, except for telling me I couldn't have babies I worked that bit out for myself.
Hang on, a Dr did tell us we wouldn't be able to have any more kids. Since SWMBO was 76 at the time and had the birdcage whipped out of her playpen about 12 years earlier, and i was about to get an apple corer dealing to my prostate the next morning at 79 yrs of antiquity - - we couldn't argue with her diagnosis.    The Doc was laughing as she told us, she was proved right BTW. 

Tongue
Entropy is not what
it used to be.