Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
if your serious in politics, get involved
Thumbs Up 
Go to all the public meetings, even for the parties you disagree with, engage with them and ask the hard questions to see where they stand. That way you can make a more informed decision on who to vote for.
Been a real good learning curve for me, especially for someone like myself who was never allowed to vote as a Jehovah's witness.
Unapologetic NZ first voter, white cis male, climate change skeptic.
(27-08-2023, 10:49 AM)C_T_Russell Wrote: Go to all the public meetings, even for the parties you disagree with, engage with them and ask the hard questions to see where they stand. That way you can make a more informed decision on who to vote for.
Been a real good learning curve for me, especially for someone like myself who was never allowed to vote as a Jehovah's witness.
Be wise to learn how to spell correctly if you want to get your message across, if you're serious.
I would also suggest it is quite wise to query just who it is you are taking counsel from - there are fruit cakes everywhere, even in politics...
This world would be a perfect place if it wasn't for the people.

Sharesies | Buy Crypto | Surfshark VPN | Cloud Backup
(27-08-2023, 12:21 PM)king1 Wrote: I would also suggest it is quite wise to query just who it is you are taking counsel from -  there are fruit cakes everywhere, even in politics...

And even here...
I do have other cameras!
Before anyone engages politically it pays to take appropriate social responsibility measures. Distancing, sanitiser, mask and shields up, and turn the gullibility meter right off.

You know the bastards are lying. Do not be fooled.
I should also add that it's not a personality contest, you should vote on policy and not popularity.
Well said this woman: https://twitter.com/i/status/1695651680359174187
(27-08-2023, 10:50 PM)C_T_Russell Wrote: I should also add that it's not a personality contest, you should vote on policy and not popularity.

I disagree. It is important to understand who is mouthing that policy. Who is the person behind the words. Who is hiding behind the fake promises.

After all, we voted in a PM who promised not to raise taxes, and then upped gst the moment he could. We have voted in MPs who lied on their CVs. We have had representatives who broke pandemic regulations not just once but repeatedly. We voted in thieves, liars, adulterers, sexual predators, raving nutcases, and lots of people who believe in fairies, and other invisible deities.

So yes, absolutely it is a personality contest. Policies change, but people? Not so much...
(28-08-2023, 09:38 AM)Oh_hunnihunni Wrote:
(27-08-2023, 10:50 PM)C_T_Russell Wrote: I should also add that it's not a personality contest, you should vote on policy and not popularity.

I disagree. It is important to understand who is mouthing that policy. Who is the person behind the words. Who is hiding behind the fake promises.

After all, we voted in a PM who promised not to raise taxes, and then upped gst the moment he could. We have voted in MPs who lied on their CVs. We have had representatives who broke pandemic regulations not just once but repeatedly. We voted in thieves, liars, adulterers, sexual predators, raving nutcases, and lots of people who believe in fairies, and other invisible deities.

So yes, absolutely it is a personality contest. Policies change, but people? Not so much...

Are we not used to the faults we humans have. Why should we expect any different from the critters that are our politicians. Probably around the same proportions as ordinary folks.

The attached photo is of probably the only critter we can trust

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Corgi Wan Kenobi is watching you!
(27-08-2023, 10:59 PM)harm_less Wrote: Well said this woman: https://twitter.com/i/status/1695651680359174187

Cheers, just shared that as widely as possible. Smile

She's not wrong.
in order to be old & wise, you must first be young & stupid. (I'm still working on that.)
(28-08-2023, 09:38 AM)Oh_hunnihunni Wrote: So yes, absolutely it is a personality contest. Policies change, but people? Not so much...

That my friend is why we won't get anywhere with that kind of attitude.
Sure, candidates should be reasonably qualified and fit for the job, but its not a popularity contest, often the most popular people are the least suitable.
We do change though - none of us is the same person we were at 14,or 34 or even 50. Its difficult to understand each stage of life until we're living in it & learning from it.
And our views change as we gain more life experience - for most of us anyway.
in order to be old & wise, you must first be young & stupid. (I'm still working on that.)