Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Who Here Still Deep Fries?
Question 
Chips, chicken whatever?  In a pot or machine with thermostat?   Smile  I know ALOT of people have moved to air fryers. Yum or no?
My English chip shop chips recipe:

Serves 2- 3
Ingredients:
Use 4-5 floury* potatoes (For a 4 litre fryer, adjust as required)
Method:
Peel and wash potatoes, ensure eyes and 'imperfections' are removed.
Chip potatoes to approx 1.3cm 'square' (Fatter chips absorb less oil so are a little healthier)
Rinse then soak in fresh cold water for at least 2+ hours until needed, change water several times to remove starchs.
Lay chips in a single layer on a tea towel to dry and remove bulk of moisture.
Heat fryer to 140c
Add chips and par-fry for 5- 8 minutes.
Remove chips from fryer, drain for at least 20 seconds to 1 minute, set aside while fryer is heating up again. (Don't bother seasoning etc yet, this will be done after the second fry...)
Heat fryer to 190c.
Add chips and fry for 3- 4 minutes.
Remove, drain and season.
Season and serve hot with vinegar if required.

* Floury: “Fluffy on the Inside”. Best suited to baking, roasting and frying. AKA Russet in rest of world
Fianna, Ilam Hardy, Red Rascal, Agria, and Laura (marketed as Red Jacket), are the most common floury varieties in NZ. Limited or localised supplies include Victoria, Marabel and Markies (a relative of Agria).
(30-08-2020, 07:20 PM)madras_seersucker Wrote: Chips, chicken whatever?  In a pot or machine with thermostat?   Smile  I know ALOT of people have moved to air fryers. Yum or no?

Not me. I started with the basic air fryer and now have the oven type. Not that TV one. Love it, use it all the time!!!
I haven't deep fried anything for about 20 years.   I only ever deep fried in olive oil or peanut oil, used them only once, and it got too expensive.  It's good to place boundaries around cooking, whether it's for reasons of cost or of health.
I haven't deep fried for decades, but last week got given an air fryer - oven chips have never tasted better ! Still experimenting....
In and out of jobs, running free
Waging war with society
Makikihi brand frozen fries - they are the closest to F&C shop fries and are cheaper than buying raw potatoes, with no wastage. They can be oven baked but when we have them for lunch (with floured fish) I do usually shallow fry them in canola oil.
(04-06-2023, 07:19 PM)Zurdo Wrote: I haven't deep fried for decades, but last week got given an air fryer - oven chips have never tasted better !  Still experimenting....

You might need a wee sprinkle of oil on them.
Also try Hash Bites, they work well. No oil needed.
And wedges: Pukekohe Seasoned and McCain Pub Style, yum
I bought a deep fryer years ago, and threw it out 2 weeks later.

I got addicted, especally frozen chicken nuggets from the smkt dipped in tartare sauce. If I didn't get rid of it I would have been dead 4 months later.

Willpower didn't work, it had to go.
I thought about an air fryer... But then I did some research, and found the majority of reviewers felt an ordinary oven did as good a job just as efficiently. So I shall stick to my oven fries and spend the air fryer money on pretties...
Two of the granddaughters gave me an air fryer for my last birthday, & I don't think I'll ever do fish any other way & chips are good too- its really good but still getting used to it.
in order to be old & wise, you must first be young & stupid. (I'm still working on that.)