Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
this month's temperature is below average
Must be all the global warming, I bet next winter will be even colder.
https://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/analysis-w...CDJEK7GRQ/
Unapologetic NZ first voter, white cis male, climate change skeptic.
Oh please...

Google sea temperatures and then tell me climate change isn't warming the globe.

It is plain ignorance to keep insisting on this denial position, and it makes those who continue to do so look like complete fools.
I deny it's man made, but the earths climate changes all the time and has gone through way worse.
But hey, taxing the shit out of our farmers is going to fix our weather and make food cheaper.
Better that than widespread food shortages, starvation, and mass extinctions though eh?

As for it not being man made, how come the recorded history of these worsening changes exactly parallels industrialisation? Every change has a root cause. Denying this one will not make it go away.
(29-08-2023, 08:06 AM)C_T_Russell Wrote: I deny it's man made, but the earths climate changes all the time and has gone through way worse.
But hey, taxing the shit out of our farmers is going to fix our weather and make food cheaper.

I believe the counter argument to that is that it can be true if it occurs over a period of tens of thousands of years, whereas this period of observable climate change began with the industrial era
This world would be a perfect place if it wasn't for the people.

Sharesies | Buy Crypto | Surfshark VPN | Cloud Backup
The other change events didn't affect humanity on the predicted scale of this one simply because humanity wasn't there on the scale it is now.

Denialists seem to think they and theirs will get through this unscathed. Whilst the realists look at the prospect with outright horror.

And meanwhile humanity argues about it...
(29-08-2023, 07:58 AM)C_T_Russell Wrote: Must be all the global warming, I bet next winter will be even colder.

Did you actually read that article CT? 
It goes into great depth to explain why it is exceptional and a direct consequence of human-driven climate change
This world would be a perfect place if it wasn't for the people.

Sharesies | Buy Crypto | Surfshark VPN | Cloud Backup
Well it has been a nice cold winter for a change and a good snow base up ruapehu, probably the best I've seen it in 10 years. 2013 was the last time I saw it like this but the last few seasons have been nothing fancy with the bottom trails having little to no snow.
(29-08-2023, 08:15 AM)Oh_hunnihunni Wrote: Better that than widespread food shortages, starvation, and mass extinctions though eh?

As for it not being man made, how come the recorded history of these worsening changes exactly parallels industrialisation? Every change has a root cause. Denying this one will not make it go away.
It is causing food shortages as a result of reaction!
Farmers are closing their doors and more farms converted to pines.
You think this stuff is great?
How about NZ stops shipping shit here from China and produces it here instead like the good old days?
Millions of Tennessee of dirty fuel gets burned shipping this crap here that just ends up in landfills.
Time to wake up.
(29-08-2023, 08:46 AM)king1 Wrote:
(29-08-2023, 07:58 AM)C_T_Russell Wrote: Must be all the global warming, I bet next winter will be even colder.

Did you actually read that article CT? 
It goes into great depth to explain why it is exceptional and a direct consequence of human-driven climate change

It seems to suggest the El Nino pattern was responsible, but that's always what brings the colder dry conditions for frosts and snow.
Article also suggests the volcanic eruption could be responsible, can't have it both ways though, seems every weather pattern is attributed to global warming. oops I mean climate change.
To be honest, no one knows.
No CT, people who research the science with open minds and the desire to learn, know.
(29-08-2023, 09:48 AM)Oh_hunnihunni Wrote: No CT, people who research the science with open minds and the desire to learn, know.

I have an open mind and don't buy into one narrative anymore.
You only are getting one side of the picture on the telly.
Except I understand the difference between climate, and weather.

And my sources are varied.

That's education for you.
(29-08-2023, 09:55 AM)C_T_Russell Wrote:
(29-08-2023, 09:48 AM)Oh_hunnihunni Wrote: No CT, people who research the science with open minds and the desire to learn, know.

I have an open mind and don't buy into one narrative anymore.
You only are getting one side of the picture on the telly.
How does your "open mind" explain wild fluctuations in weather extremes? 

https://twitter.com/i/status/1696187927728984408 Zermatt, Switzerland Last week it was 31°C, now it's snowing - in late summer?
What we're seeing is decreased stability of weather patterns including the weakening of the arctic and antarctic vortexes which usually act to contain the colder air around the poles, and conversely keep the warmer conditions (including tropical storms) restricted to the equatorial and tropical zones. When those 'normal' climatic norms start failing we see more and more unseasonal and volatile weather events. Sound familiar, or does your selective knowledge source choose to ignore basic meteorological disfunction?

Our planet may have encountered climate change like we're seeing now but not since humans have been a significant species, and definitely not at a rate that's occurring now. What we are seeing is a change in the environment that surrounds us that will make our planet increasingly difficult to survive on while destroying the civilisations and infrastructure we are familiar with. I fear for the life my granddaughter will encounter over the next 70+ years.
(29-08-2023, 10:30 AM)harm_less Wrote: ...
What we're seeing is decreased stability of weather patterns including the weakening of the arctic and antarctic vortexes which usually act to contain the colder air around the poles, and conversely keep the warmer conditions (including tropical storms) restricted to the equatorial and tropical zones. When those 'normal' climatic norms start failing we see more and more unseasonal and volatile weather events. Sound familiar, or does your selective knowledge source choose to ignore basic meteorological disfunction?

Our planet may have encountered climate change like we're seeing now but not since humans have been a significant species, and definitely not at a rate that's occurring now. What we are seeing is a change in the environment that surrounds us that will make our planet increasingly difficult to survive on while destroying the civilisations and infrastructure we are familiar with. I fear for the life my granddaughter will encounter over the next 70+ years.

Thank you for your patience in once again explaining this extremely important concept that some people just don't seem to have the intellectual capacity to grasp.
Minds are unlike plains, hopefully there is a fair difference between open and empty. Wink
While unsure of what a "telly" is in this hemisphere, I am reasonably certain the picture I get through the window is a bit more direct. I do not recall (in the Auckland Province) seeing rain or even a cloudy day after a frost except in the last few years; it is not a practice I approve of. I also disapprove of the current inability to see very far from a couple of thousand feet up in the air. Rotorua during the forestry slash burning season, yep, from about 2,00 ft AGL the ground was "greyed or browned out". Blenheim in autumn had pretty short visual range as crop stubble got burned off, but Auckland didn't have that problem. Now, seeing Huntly from 2,000 ft is getting rare. The frosts we used to get were cooler than now with frost on the grass not uncommon a few times a year. It seems quite a while since we had visible frost on the grass here, although we get more colourful sunsets than 70+ years ago. We can't blame all that on decimal currency and daylight saving Tongue
Entropy is not what
it used to be.
Yes, the Earth has Climate Change, and always has, but it shouldn't be seen in the lifetime of one human...nature doesn't work on that time scale.
In and out of jobs, running free
Waging war with society
(29-08-2023, 11:15 AM)R2x1 Wrote: Minds are unlike plains, hopefully there is a fair difference between open and empty. Wink
While unsure of what a "telly" is in this hemisphere, I am reasonably certain the picture I get through the window is a bit more direct. I do not recall (in the Auckland Province) seeing rain or even a cloudy day after a frost except in the last few years; it is not a practice I approve of. I also disapprove of the current inability to see very far from a couple of thousand feet up in the air. Rotorua during the forestry slash burning season, yep, from about 2,00 ft AGL the ground was "greyed or browned out".  Blenheim in autumn had pretty short visual range as crop stubble got burned off, but Auckland didn't have that problem. Now, seeing Huntly from 2,000 ft is getting rare.  The frosts we used to get were cooler than now with frost on the grass not uncommon a few times a year. It seems quite a while since we had visible frost on the grass here, although we get more colourful sunsets than 70+ years ago. We can't blame all that on decimal currency and daylight saving Tongue

We used to have frozen puddles on the way to school, but no more. I think it is down to all the concrete and black tarseal warming the city by storing the heat. The city was much smaller back when I was at school.

Oooops, man made climate change...  Tongue
Yeah, we walked to school making green tracks in the white grass...and we even cracked the skin on cow pats to warm our bare feet - in Auckland !
In and out of jobs, running free
Waging war with society
Quote:" We used to have frozen puddles on the way to school, but no more. I think it is down to all the concrete and black tarseal warming the city by storing the heat. The city was much smaller back when I was at school.

Oooops, man made climate change...  Tongue "

I don't see puddles on the way to school, possibly affected by both the puddles and I having dropped out. I noticed the city shrinking too, but I blamed the metric system.  Cities should be exempt from climate change, Auckland has at least 50 times more suburban trees per acre than it had when I was a nipper.

The global temperature is definitely rising, Monday have expanded to twice the length they used to be, and even pensioners can now be taxed at a rate previously  reserved for really rich people with a conscience in lieu of tax advisers. That is thermal expansion in a big way, but counterbalanced somewhat by the fact that modern rich people pay almost no tax on their actual gross incomes. Thermal swings and roundabouts?

Woman made climate change I guess. . . .  Tongue
Entropy is not what
it used to be.
Quote:" ...and we even cracked the skin on cow pats to warm our bare feet - in Auckland ! "
We went for the ones with steam emitting, fresher was better. Not in Auckland though, only at home out in the wop-wops. We had a King then too, maybe we will go back to the good old days, though please not not the wartime (and a dreadfully long time after) bread substitute which the wheat board specified the "flour" for. Man, if you fed that to the birds these days there would be SPCA inspectors waving cruelty summons in bigger numbers than the cones that warn you a cone may have fallen over a Km or two ahead.
Entropy is not what
it used to be.