Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
iPad unavailable
Spent a bit of time using various utilities to try and reset an iPad that was bricked after someone an elderly person forgot their password and appears to have tried many attempts at logging in.
In the end I found something that worked called 3u tools after having no luck.
Crazy that they lock you out of your device even though I could still get into icloud and theoretically perform a password reset you would think.
Sad thing is there are photos I can never get back for her but I think the iCloud backup might have some of them there.
Had similar happen a few times, generally you can try various pieces of software to see if they will work for free, then if they do you need to pay for it. This is often where it can become "Tricky" people want to have their data recovered, but dont what to pay for software to do it. This often boils down to just how important the recovered data is.

One piece of software I've used before and worked was https://www.imyfone.com/data-recovery-software/

Can understand why Apple make it awkward to get back in, but sometimes they go overboard.

Had one customer, the partner had passed away,  and no one knew the ipad password, and got locked out after to many attempts. Apple 1st wanted death certificates and even then said that wasn't enough proof of the ownership, So I said what do what to do ? dig up the grave and bring in the dead body ??? After that and a few more "carefully worded" Wink emails, and proof of ownership they kind of saw sense, and finally they unlocked it.
Upgrades = Old bugs replaced with new Bugs.
Yeah there are a tone of programs out there that ask for money to unlock the darn things, but no guarantee they work.
Apple are getting ridiculous with their security, ive heard of many stories where people have lost access to their device permanently.
In one case Apple was able to unlock it for a client of mine, but it took us over a month after much discussion with apple and sending them proof of purchase for them to unlock it and remove the apple ID that their dismissed employee had logged it into.
Funny how Apple has the power to actually do that, makes you wonder what data they potentially could grab off your device?
They must have some sort of master key that can unlock your device, but there are forensic companies that claim to have special tools that can actually get data off these things even with all their encryption/security.
(29-08-2023, 12:03 PM)nzoomed Wrote: Funny how Apple has the power to actually do that, makes you wonder what data they potentially could grab off your device?
They must have some sort of master key that can unlock your device, but there are forensic companies that claim to have special tools that can actually get data off these things even with all their encryption/security.
Do you really want to actually know what they look at ?? Sometimes its better you dont.

Recovery -- Forensic Data recovery professional have all the "toys" comes back to what I mentioned before $$$ and how important the data actually is.

One company that called me, told them the drive in a server was failing and they needed to back it up and replace the drive NOW!! Not later today, not tomorrow NOW!!. I even offered to do it on the spot -- They said they would back up right away, and call asap to change the drive, well about a week later panic call Drive died -- Asked for the backup- errrr didn't get around to it. ( surprise surprise)

The boss had a sh*t fit when he found it was going to cost over 1K to get everything back, the drive was actually sent to the home base in Aussie, took around 5 weeks but they got 95% back.
Upgrades = Old bugs replaced with new Bugs.
(29-08-2023, 12:39 PM)Wainuitech Wrote:
(29-08-2023, 12:03 PM)nzoomed Wrote: Funny how Apple has the power to actually do that, makes you wonder what data they potentially could grab off your device?
  Do you really want to actually know what they look at  ?? Sometimes its better you dont.

Recovery -- Forensic Data recovery professional have all the "toys" comes back to what I mentioned before $$$ and how important the data actually is.

One company that called me,  told them the drive in a server was failing and they needed to back it up and replace the drive NOW!!  Not later today, not tomorrow NOW!!. I even offered to do it on the spot -- They said they would back up right away, and call  asap to change the drive,  well about a week later panic call Drive died -- Asked for the backup-  errrr didn't get around to it. ( surprise surprise)

The boss had a sh*t fit when he found it was going to cost over 1K to get everything back, the drive was actually sent to the home base in Aussie, took around 5 weeks but they got 95%  back.

Agree, big tech probably has access to all your data.
I all too often see people loose their data on a regular basis, either people rely on unreliable backup drives and just assume the software is backing up automatically when it isint.
I try and get people on the cloud as its the most hassle free way I find, however very few seem to take advice regarding backups.
I have had mixed success with data recovery companies, depends on the drive fault most of the time and also how much money the customer is prepared to fork out.
The most common question i get asked when there is any computer fault is "will you be able to keep all my stuff?"
its a facepalm at this point. I just say, well as long as your drive is OK, you should be good, what about your backup?