Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Thanks for nothing Labour...Free dental bribe
Thanks for NOTHING  Labour.
Their lastest bribe is to provide free dental care for those under the age of 30 if they win the upcoming election - to be implemented in stages.
So, my husband and I can not afford to go to the Dentist and both desperately need to.
Have worked and paid taxes all our lives and are still working and paying taxes, whilst trying unsuccessfully to save for our retirement, pay our mortgage and the  rising cost of living.

:No such thing as free Dr's visits for children when our kids were little - so we missed out on that, and had to pay. And then again at the chemist, and it was a damn sight more expensive than the now defunct $5 per item in those days too.

: No Working for Families or family benefit

: We paid $500 a year to send our kids to our local Primary School - State school, plus stationary costs etc
: There was no help available for our Dyslexic child - we had to pay, pay , pay for private tutors all her school life.

And now we will miss out on dental care.

Kinda irks me that there are people that sit at home on their ass all day that will get this for nothing in the future, if Labour win. Providing, of course they stick to their promise.
Yep! such is life according to St. Christopher!
Corgi Wan Kenobi is watching you!
In primary school I had a bunch of teeth ripped out and had braces - I don't think my parents paid for this...at least they never said anything. Then 30 years later I spent a couple of thousand dollars on my teeth, and a top plate. Now I have 3 teeth left in my mouth - no it's not a good look, and no way can I now afford a bottom plate...and never will. So, yes, this plan is no good to me. I don't care.

My kids inherited my bad teeth, and have no free dental care. My granddaughter needs teeth removed and braces...and worse, she needs jaw surgery. My daughter is saving all her money for the orthodontics (forget about her own teeth) BUT - there is a charity that gives one free dental jaw surgery per year - and she has it !!! In three years after the braces.

I'm all for State Dental - but there has to be a cut off point...and it works both ways. I have industrial hearing loss, and get free hearing aids and batteries from ACC. Young people can't get help with hearing aids, it's only for old people who knew no better in their youth.
In and out of jobs, running free
Waging war with society
two thoughts
first, it's only for "free annual check-ups, cleans, X-rays, basic fillings and extractions for nearly 800,000 under 30-year-olds." - if you need real dental work you will still need to pay...
second, if they opened it up to everyone, there would be waiting times measured in years....
This world would be a perfect place if it wasn't for the people.

Sharesies | Buy Crypto | Surfshark VPN | Cloud Backup
Aw , ~ diddums.
Entropy is not what
it used to be.
hipkins said on the news tonight the long term plan is to make it universal for everyone, but cost and capacity issues prevent that at the moment
This world would be a perfect place if it wasn't for the people.

Sharesies | Buy Crypto | Surfshark VPN | Cloud Backup
It would be a lot better to set a payout limit and make it universal, the same way other benefits are constructed. This is discriminatory, and as it is illegal to use age to do that they are challenging the spirit of the human rights act if not the actuality.

Fortunately the WINZ grant isn't so ageist.

Yet.

(02-09-2023, 05:06 PM)Zurdo Wrote: In primary school I had a bunch of teeth ripped out and had braces - I don't think my parents paid for this...at least they never said anything. Then 30 years later I spent a couple of thousand dollars on my teeth, and a top plate. Now I have 3 teeth left in my mouth - no it's not a good look, and no way can I now afford a bottom plate...and never will. So, yes, this plan is no good to me. I don't care.

My kids inherited my bad teeth, and have no free dental care. My granddaughter needs teeth removed and braces...and worse, she needs jaw surgery. My daughter is saving all her money for the orthodontics (forget about her own teeth) BUT - there is a charity that gives one free dental jaw surgery per year - and she has it !!!  In three years after the braces.

I'm all for State Dental - but there has to be a cut off point...and it works both ways. I have industrial hearing loss, and get free hearing aids and batteries from ACC. Young people can't get help with hearing aids, it's only for old people who knew no better in their youth.

I had orthodontic work done as a child in the 50s, and my parents paid for every bit of it. My Mum got a second job to pay the bills.

One of the reasons I value every minute of our enlightened welfare system as it exists today.

(02-09-2023, 04:24 PM)TinkandTiff Wrote: Thanks for NOTHING  Labour.
Their lastest bribe is to provide free dental care for those under the age of 30 if they win the upcoming election - to be implemented in stages.
So, my husband and I can not afford to go to the Dentist and both desperately need to.
Have worked and paid taxes all our lives and are still working and paying taxes, whilst trying unsuccessfully to save for our retirement, pay our mortgage and the  rising cost of living.

:No such thing as free Dr's visits for children when our kids were little - so we missed out on that, and had to pay. And then again at the chemist, and it was a damn sight more expensive than the now defunct $5 per item in those days too.

: We paid $500 a year to send our kids to our local Primary School - State school, plus stationary costs etc
: There was no help available for our Dyslexic child - we had to pay, pay , pay for private tutors all her school life.

Kinda irks me that there are people that sit at home on their ass all day that will get this for nothing in the future, if Labour win. Providing, of course they stick to their promise.

If you are paying a mortgage you are one of the privileged classes. Many people today are growing up knowing they will never be able to do that, and many others are forced to accept that they cannot continue to be homeowners and survive, and sell up and get out of property.

The system is seriously broken, it isn't about people WHO sit on their bums all day, it is about the way we value all the wrong things and fail to realise just how precarious our existence is...

You sound very bitter.  Maybe you'll feel less resentful when you qualify for National Superannuation, which presumably your parents received (unless you are a recent immigrant).   

Perhaps you can reflect on Labour's proposed benefit to this generation of under-30s, whose access to basic dental treatment will improve their general health and therefore take pressure off the health providers  which treat us all no matter what age.

It would also be helpful for you to reflect on how you think other political parties would attend to your needs.   National and ACT don't care about poor people, Labour and Green are least trying and treat all with respect.
I wish they & other previous govts would stop nibbling around the edges of the problem & raise our taxes - NOT to a punitive level but a fair one for people's different circumstances - & properly fund health including dental & also education.

Granted, because this is virtually immediately prior to an election its definitely an election bribe but the point is that while this may not benefit us, it will benefit our grandchildren & theirs so long term I see it as a good thing.

I only wish they'd done it decades ago & ring fenced it to avoid any future politicians & their 'improvements.'
in order to be old & wise, you must first be young & stupid. (I'm still working on that.)
Been to the dentist once in the last 24 years. Look after them properly and you don't need to whinge...

I always like how some people blame a single political party for something even though their complaints last through multiple governments on both sides of the ledger. It's cute. Stupid, but cute.
Some of us were gifted strong enamel, good dental maintenance habits, good food, and fluoride in our water, that certainly helps lower dentist visits.

Just as well as I have a morbid fear of them. Even worse than orthopedic surgeons...
(02-09-2023, 06:50 PM)Oh_hunnihunni Wrote: I had orthodontic work done as a child in the 50s, and my parents paid for every bit of it. My Mum got a second job to pay the bills.

I'm sure if they paid for it, my mother would've never let me forget it.

Mind you, after she died (19 years ago) the things she didn't tell me have been very enlightening...she could keep a secret my Mum.
In and out of jobs, running free
Waging war with society
(02-09-2023, 08:24 PM)yousnoozeyoulose Wrote: Been to the dentist once in the last 24 years. Look after them properly and you don't need to whinge...

I always like how some people blame a single political party for something even though their complaints last through multiple governments on both sides of the ledger. It's cute. Stupid, but cute.

On the contrary, I hold both main parties responsible for the mess we now have, because both National & Labour  willingly opted for Neo Liberalism & continued down that path even after the damage became apparent, & when they should have had the sense to move away from it. Dodgy

And not everyone has the good fortune to inherit good teeth; bad teeth do seem to be hereditary to some extent despite good dental care.
in order to be old & wise, you must first be young & stupid. (I'm still working on that.)
A good reason to practice gratitude for the gifts we received but rarely acknowledged, or even thought about.

It certainly makes balancingvout difficulties a lot easier.
(02-09-2023, 08:24 PM)yousnoozeyoulose Wrote: Been to the dentist once in the last 24 years. Look after them properly and you don't need to whinge...

Your medical ignorance is showing. 
You do realise that some people have genuine health conditions that seriously impacts on the quality and resilience of their teeth? Crohns disease being one.

(02-09-2023, 07:30 PM)Olive Wrote:

You sound very bitter.  Maybe you'll feel less resentful when you qualify for National Superannuation, which presumably your parents received (unless you are a recent immigrant).   

Perhaps you can reflect on Labour's proposed benefit to this generation of under-30s, whose access to basic dental treatment will improve their general health and therefore take pressure off the health providers  which treat us all no matter what age.

It would also be helpful for you to reflect on how you think other political parties would attend to your needs.   National and ACT don't care about poor people, Labour and Green are least trying and treat all with respect.

Im not bitter. Just having a rant, like many others on here do from time to time - some without the abuse and snarky remarks I seem to receive when I rarely post on here.  Sadly my mother worked all her life, paid taxes and then didnt receive superannuation as she died at the age of 52. She had a heart attack,   it took too long for an ambulance to get to her.

(03-09-2023, 11:52 AM)Lilith7 Wrote:

On the contrary, I hold both main parties responsible for the mess we now have, because both National & Labour  willingly opted for Neo Liberalism & continued down that path even after the damage became apparent, & when they should have had the sense to move away from it. Dodgy

And not everyone has the good fortune to inherit good teeth; bad teeth do seem to be hereditary to some extent despite good dental care.

EXACTLY!!
We post honestly, we risk all kinds of responses. Shouldn't stop us though, that is how we get another perspective on our lives. And frustrations.

It's a good thing.
(03-09-2023, 05:06 PM)Oh_hunnihunni Wrote: We post honestly, we risk all kinds of responses. Shouldn't stop us though, that is how we get another perspective on our lives. And frustrations.

It's a good thing.

It is - I also find being able to swear a bit now & then is useful when yet another idiot politicians pisses me off mightily by doing somthing so idiotic you know danmned well they've given not one thought to the future of our grandchildren & great grandchildren.
I came across an interesting little piece on 'privilege' today, that resonated with me. It said that privilege isn't about the bonus points we get, but rather the absence of obstacles. Some of us are blessed by good fortune and good management, recognising that others have barriers and penalties instead helps us understand just how lucky we are.

You are right at every step.

Sometimes concessions for kids are justified to get them started on the right foot in life, but dental health is essential to overall health and just as important for middle aged as for under 30s. And keeping parents well is important for their kids too. Rather than being ageist about it, I would far rather see a start by subsidising check ups and maybe basic fillings, like doctors visits are currently subsidised. Then move forward from there. At least that would enable awareness of problems when they are still cheaper to fix.

We're now in the silly season leading up to the election when all manner of promises will be made. Some may be honest, but many are just to try and catch a few votes. Labour has had 6 years to make changes and has done so much that is nonsensical and detrimental, I certainly wouldn't trust any promises to do better now. They had the chance to do something about dental health but didn't, so I wouldn't trust any promises now.

Teeth do need to be looked after properly but also need professional checkups. You have either been very lucky or have a mouth full of bad gums that you won't realise are bad until it's too late.

Yes, many things that could change and don't are because multiple governments failed to do so. Sometimes it's because they spend the whole term sorting out the problems caused by the previous incumbents. Some things are just in the too hard pile. And many things that don't need government input get attention because people won't take responsibility for themselves and cry "the government must..." and waste resources that could have been spent on real benefits.

(04-09-2023, 12:59 PM)Oh_hunnihunni Wrote: I came across an interesting little piece on 'privilege' today, that resonated with me. It said that privilege isn't about the bonus points we get, but rather the absence of obstacles. Some of us are blessed by good fortune and good management, recognising that others have barriers and penalties instead helps us understand just how lucky we are.

Luck, good or bad, is a factor in everyone's lives. Some things you can't help, but for a lot of things people contribute to the luck they get. Eg getting cancer is bad luck, but not drinking alcohol goes a long way to staying "lucky" and avoiding it. Some obstacles in life are unavoidable, but people who live in a way that minimises risk are more likely to be in a position to cope with the obstacles that they can't avoid.
What's needed is for all politicians to put aside their petty differences & for once, work together taking a long term view on what's best for this country, starting with removing Neo Liberalism & making health & education our top priorities.
If they could manage that, then perhaps in 20-50 odd years we might see some progress.

And it would be no bad thing to increase understanding of exactly how difficult some people have it, since there's still a tendency to blame victims for their plight.