Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The food crisis Bryan Bruce Documentary tonight
This has to be worth a look tonight; I only noticed just now that its on.

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/business/brya...J2Y4CSVZA/

"We are a nation of just over five million people, yet we produce enough food each year to feed an estimated 40 million. So why are thousands of us lining up at foodbanks run by charities to get something to eat today?

According to the Ministry of Education: “Around one in five children in New Zealand live in households that struggle to put enough good-quality food on the table. In communities facing greater socio-economic barriers, 40 per cent of parents run out of food sometimes or often.”
That’s a shameful admission for a country that makes the bulk of its income from exporting food.

But the supermarkets come at the end of our food supply chain and get a lot of attention because they are highly visible, and if you look behind the barcodes of any of the goods on their shelves, you will find a lot of companies clipping the profit ticket before you get to eat any of it.
Let’s just take one item - bread. Chances are the supermarket loaf you bought today was made from wheat grown in Australia, bought and sold by commodity dealers, transported by foreign-owned ships and trucked to one of the foreign-owned flour mills, transported to a foreign-owned bakery and transported again to the supermarket.
You probably noticed the word “transported” a few times in that last sentence.

Transportation by vehicles dependent on petrol and diesel (which we import) contributes significantly to the price you pay for your daily bread as its ingredients travel from paddock to plate.

And why does the wheat come from Australia? Because many of our farmers turned their wheat fields over to dairy production as there was more profit in it.
None of this has happened by accident. From the mid-1980s to the late 1990s, consecutive Labour and National-led governments embraced neoliberal economic theory which held that the state should not be running businesses and that the twin policies of free market and free trade would allow entrepreneurial New Zealanders to create wealth which would trickle down to the lower orders, and we would be all be better off.
Well, of course, that didn’t happen because wealth doesn’t trickle down; it largely sticks with those who have it.

Do we want a fair society where every child gets an equal chance to grow up healthy and be the best they can be, or not?
Do we believe everyone should be able to afford healthy food, or not?

And what is the purpose of our economy? Is it that a few of us can get wealthy at the expense of the many? Or to create the greatest good, for the greatest number of us, over the longest period of time?"

[b]Bryan Bruce’s documentary [/b][b]The Food Crisis[/b] [b]screens on Sky Open (Channel 4 on Freeview and 15 on Sky) on Sunday, September 3 at 8.30pm.[/b]
in order to be old & wise, you must first be young & stupid. (I'm still working on that.)
Looks interesting. Also note that according to the Freeview online guide Sky Open is channel 15 on Freeview, for those that aren't subscribers to pay TV.
(03-09-2023, 05:26 PM)harm_less Wrote: Looks interesting. Also note that according to the Freeview online guide Sky Open is channel 15 on Freeview, for those that aren't subscribers to pay TV.

It comes up on my TV as 800. It should be interesting, I remember the one he did years ago on poverty here which was really good.
in order to be old & wise, you must first be young & stupid. (I'm still working on that.)
(03-09-2023, 07:22 PM)Lilith7 Wrote:
(03-09-2023, 05:26 PM)harm_less Wrote: Looks interesting. Also note that according to the Freeview online guide Sky Open is channel 15 on Freeview, for those that aren't subscribers to pay TV.

It comes up on my TV as 800. It should be interesting, I remember the one he did years ago on poverty here which was really good.
Some decent unbiased information being presented but the amount of adverts is absolutely ridiculous. Definitely won't be bothering with this channel again.
I think we could do far worse than to take heed of what was shown, but given our politicians that seems unlikely.
Bryan compiled a good selection of factors that many would not have related to a 'food crisis' scenario.

The mindset adopted far too commonly now is the 'pill for every ill' approach. Be it a result of reductionist scientific platforms, reduced attention spans or just the wish for an easy solution the problems that modern societies and civilisation suffer are virtually always the result of a cascade of contributing factors as Bryan suggested in his weaving together urbanisation, lack of commercial competition, political ineptitude (corruption?), poor housekeeping skills, fossil fuel reliance, climatic instability, etc, etc. into an interlinked set of factors that is putting our food supply system at risk all of which must be address if the problem is to be solved.
Don't know why this state of affairs is seen as some sort of complicated challenge when the problem is simple.

It is not efficient and productive to supply every last person in NZ with a meal at a reasonable price much simpler, less work (ie more productive and efficient) to charge high prices and shortage supply the marketplace, that way everyone who has money will buy the products at inflated prices and I'm afraid it's devil take the hindmost.

This is built into the system as it stands now and is the reason why regulation is necessary because businessmen are greedy and untrustworthy and must be forced into doing the job that the rest of the country expects.
It's not the least charm of a theory that it is refutable. The hundred-times-refuted theory of "free will" owes its persistence to this charm alone; some one is always appearing who feels himself strong enough to refute it - Friedrich Nietzsche
It went over old ground though. No new ideas. No real solutions. And it ignored the fact that a lot of work is being done to provide solutions - we do have new ways of growing our food, some under development, others up and running. This is just one -

https://www.beehive.govt.nz/release/hi-t...es-horizon

There are others producing leafy greens, and another I know of doing peppers and tomatoes.

I like his docos, but this one came across as a bit heavy on the leftist angst and a bit light on the positivity. And that last bit on container growing your own being so hard was a wasted opportunity, imo.

If I can do it, anyone can.
Why should we all have to scrimp and save and carry out mundane tasks which all of the challenges have been solved it just needs to be set up as an aspect of the economy, regulated and carried out by well-payed workers, banish management, that's where the problems start and then get rid of lawyers and accountants anywhere near a productive environment.

I for one in the 21st Century do not want to be growing my own food which should be available to me at reasonable prices.

For God's sake get this economy running properly NZ, it's not rocket science.
It's not the least charm of a theory that it is refutable. The hundred-times-refuted theory of "free will" owes its persistence to this charm alone; some one is always appearing who feels himself strong enough to refute it - Friedrich Nietzsche
It's been a while since I've seen anything from Bryan Bruce. He has aged, but at least is still around. This was like his others, covering a variety of aspects from different angles but overall too lightweight. A good introduction or summary for people who aren't aware, but no depth or answers.

(04-09-2023, 01:23 PM)zqwerty Wrote: Why should we all have to scrimp and save and carry out mundane tasks which all of the challenges have been solved it just needs to be set up as an aspect of the economy, regulated and carried out by well-payed workers, banish management, that's where the problems start and then get rid of lawyers and accountants anywhere near a productive environment.

I for one in the 21st Century do not want to be growing my own food which should be available to me at reasonable prices.

I think we need to define "reasonable prices". I had a conversation with someone this morning - about how everything we buy today is way cheaper than it was a generation ago in relative terms. Our earning ability is too low rather than prices being too high.
(04-09-2023, 01:23 PM)zqwerty Wrote: Why should we all have to scrimp and save and carry out mundane tasks which all of the challenges have been solved it just needs to be set up as an aspect of the economy, regulated and carried out by well-payed workers, banish management, that's where the problems start and then get rid of lawyers and accountants anywhere near a productive environment.

Bag of potting mix, punnet of seedlings, occasional watering. Fresh home grown greens that taste so much better than store bought. And it is good for my mental health.

Big Grin
One of the problems is that we're still a low wage country, another is that housing now doesn't always allow for a home garden which they really ought to do. That way those who want to & are able, can grow at least some of their own food.
(04-09-2023, 03:27 PM)Lilith7 Wrote: One of the problems is that we're still a low wage country, another is that housing now doesn't always allow for a home garden which they really ought to do. That way those who want to & are able, can grow at least some of their own food.

The problem is that so many simply don't. We used to have a vege garden in each of our rentals, but over time have realised that they are very rarely used. Ditto for fruit trees. When we have reason to go to properties, we see feijoas, mandarins, tangelos, etc rotting on the ground. Of course that's a generalisation and some tenants do make use of home-grown food, but they are in the minority. So when a house is between tenants and I have to get in and clear waist high grass and weeds interspersed with rubbish, we put that ground into lawn for the next tenants. (But would also be perfectly happy for any tenants to make a garden anywhere they wish if they keep it reasonably tidy.)

Bruce's programme last night did touch on the conflicting societal needs - he showed that we plant houses on the best arable land, and to avoid that we need high density housing which has no room for vege gardens. So some people do great work with community gardens, but space for those is often short and encroaches on recreational facilities, etc. The cycle goes around. The bottom line is that we simply have too many people trying to live in over-crowded conditions and so many of them have too much access to junk food to be motivated to grow their own.
And for many of us gardening is not something they know how to do. My grandmother taught me, I didn't get the basics from school, and it wasn't until I had a home of my own that I got serious about it.

I think the trend towards gardens in schools will help, as will the current fashion for indoor plants. It all helps educate and spread the addiction...
(04-09-2023, 03:41 PM)SueDonim Wrote:
(04-09-2023, 03:27 PM)Lilith7 Wrote: One of the problems is that we're still a low wage country, another is that housing now doesn't always allow for a home garden which they really ought to do. That way those who want to & are able, can grow at least some of their own food.

The problem is that so many simply don't......... The bottom line is that we simply have too many people trying to live in over-crowded conditions and so many of them have too much access to junk food to be motivated to grow their own.
I believe the problem lies with our society where convenience, and instant gratification, is king. The idea of planning lives more than a week, or in some cases a day, in advance is totally foreign to them. The supermarkets operate on a 3 day product replenishment system and many households struggle to consume the food they do purchase before it has to be binned. The lack of a vege garden, deep freeze or structured weekly meal plan makes many people totally reliant on a hand to mouth existence that is not that far removed from the subsistence lifestyles of impoverished third world societies.

Not an easy fix as Bryan alluded to but with an electorate system based on a three yearly popularity contest don't hold your breath in it happening any time soon.
(04-09-2023, 04:27 PM)Oh_hunnihunni Wrote: And for many of us gardening is not something they know how to do.  My grandmother taught me, I didn't get the basics from school, and it wasn't until I had a home of my own that I got serious about it.

I think the trend towards gardens in schools will help, as will the current fashion for indoor plants. It all helps educate and spread the addiction...

Yep, not everyone knows  & as I''ve been saying for what seems like a couple of hundred years, basic gardening should be among the basics taught in schools by people with experience in home gardening. But there does sem to be a trend towards community gardens as well as in schools so perhaps that's all going to make a big difference.

(04-09-2023, 06:42 PM)harm_less Wrote:
(04-09-2023, 03:41 PM)SueDonim Wrote: The problem is that so many simply don't......... The bottom line is that we simply have too many people trying to live in over-crowded conditions and so many of them have too much access to junk food to be motivated to grow their own.
I believe the problem lies with our society where convenience, and instant gratification, is king. The idea of planning lives more than a week, or in some cases a day, in advance is totally foreign to them. The supermarkets operate on a 3 day product replenishment system and many households struggle to consume the food they do purchase before it has to be binned. The lack of a vege garden, deep freeze or structured weekly meal plan makes many people totally reliant on a hand to mouth existence that is not that far removed from the subsistence lifestyles of impoverished third world societies.

Not an easy fix as Bryan alluded to but with an electorate system based on a three yearly popularity contest don't hold your breath in it happening any time soon.

That I think has been a contributing factor - some people now just don't have the skills to cook much apart the from basics, if that & then there's the cost of fast food being relatively cheap, too.
(04-09-2023, 06:42 PM)harm_less Wrote:
(04-09-2023, 03:41 PM)SueDonim Wrote: The problem is that so many simply don't......... The bottom line is that we simply have too many people trying to live in over-crowded conditions and so many of them have too much access to junk food to be motivated to grow their own.
I believe the problem lies with our society where convenience, and instant gratification, is king.....
I agree with both of you.  The promotion of highly profitable ultra-processed foods is so successful that hardly anyone seems to have an interest in where their food comes from or how it affects their health.

Anecdotally, my observations from the small rural town I presently inhabit are these:  1.   Almost every trolley at the supermarket checkout contains cakes, scones, pikelets, biscuits, pastries etc from the in-house bakery.  These are mainly very cheap and the ingredients lists are hair raising for anyone (*me) who cares about additives.  2.   In conversations with local acquaintances a frequent thread is "Oh I don't cook any more, I can't be  bothered and if I'm expecting visitors I'll buy something".   3.   The same people equally complain about their ailments, particularly arthritis. I.e. they are suffering from inflammation, which is linked to the consumption of ultra-processed foods.   4.   At local community events it is common for everyone to be expected to "bring a plate".    The vast bulk of the offerings is supermarket baking, with very little evidence of home baking.

As for home gardening, I think we need to understand that it is not easy or cheap to get started; there are tools, fertilisers and time required.   And, in these days of uncertain weather, food gardening is no longer a reliable way to feed the family.   Up until 2021 we grew almost all of our own fruit veges, but last year's wet cold summer defeated us and many of our crops failed.  And we know what we're doing, but as the climate crisis roars on we can no longer feel secure in our knowledge.   I can only imagine how pointless food gardening might feel for youngsters.
Last season, my beloved stone grown peach tree was loaded with fruit and I lost the lot, despite winter spraying and pruning, because of the wet summer. It was still worth it. This year I am watching the buds swell and open and still loving it.

Gardeners know about failure, sad seasons and good ones. We also know frustration isn't going to stop us because not all the benefits come from harvesting. It's like any other human passion, it comes with costs and rewards. Good lessons for kids, and old ladies...
(04-09-2023, 09:22 PM)Oh_hunnihunni Wrote: Last season, my beloved stone grown peach tree was loaded with fruit and I lost the lot, despite winter spraying and pruning, because of the wet summer. It was still worth it. This year I am watching the buds swell and open and still loving it.

Gardeners know about failure, sad seasons and good ones. We also know frustration isn't going to stop us because not all the benefits come from harvesting. It's like any other human passion, it comes with costs and rewards. Good lessons for kids, and old ladies...

Exactly - there'll be good seasons with an abundance of everything, & bad seasons with little of anything, but its still worth doing. Much like life itself really, we get both good & bad.
No one wins every game of golf, or gets every birthday present they deserve. Sometimes I think we let excuses get in the way of trying something and miss out on an adventure. And, I think we are spoiled by our city lives. We see that as soon as the power goes out, or water is turned off. Or storm the supermarket the day before a public holiday...

Mind you, I still get a bit panicky if I am near to running out of tea bags. Or library books...

Spoilt city woman that I am.