Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The idiocy of ACT
It was clear that they cater to the greedy but its now apparent that they're also idiots. Idiots claiming to suddenly be ever so concerned with the plight of low income families. Dodgy

https://www.rnz.co.nz/news/political/497...a-o-te-wai

"The ACT party says removing tangata whenua from freshwater management would speed up the consent process, and make it cheaper for ratepayers.
The party announced its energy policy today in Auckland, and aims to overturn the ban on oil and gas exploration, set up rules to help capture carbon and make it easier to get permission for offshore wind projects.

The policy would also dump the Lake Onslow project and remove Te Mana o te Wai, which prioritises the health of freshwater, from resource consenting.
ACT Leader David Seymour said the removal of Te Mana o te Wai would make the process simpler by getting rid of unclear spiritual ideas.
"We do not believe that Te Mana o te Wai improves the environment," he said.
Seymour said the policy aimed to get electricity prices under control and provide the sector with better regulations and investment."

https://www.newshub.co.nz/home/politics/...ermit.html
"Taxpayers shouldn't be on the hook for costly projects that don't stack up. ACT would not allow the Lake Onslow project to proceed as a government project. If a private operator believed they could fund, finance and deliver it at no cost to the taxpayer, then ACT would not object." 

"Wind projects have huge potential to help New Zealand meet its renewable energy targets and ensure New Zealanders have a supply of cost-effective energy. 

"Getting electricity prices under control will play an important part in easing the cost of living crisis for families that are struggling most. Under this Government, almost 8 per cent of households cannot afford to keep their houses warm, while the Electricity Networks Association forecasts households will be paying twice as much for electricity in five years."

Taxpayers shouldn't be on the hook for costly projects that don't stack up. ACT would not allow the Lake Onslow project to proceed as a government project. If a private operator believed they could fund, finance and deliver it at no cost to the taxpayer, then ACT would not object." 
in order to be old & wise, you must first be young & stupid. (I'm still working on that.)
"Getting electricity prices under control" is just double speak in ACT's context. By writing off the Lake Onslow storage as a government funded project, which is aimed at stabilising electricity supply, they are opening this up to privatisation so just who do they intend to control electricity prices.

For a party that seems to think that everything should be privatised to best balance the market they do seem to have fuck all idea of how big business actually functions, and in respect to essential utilities that is a very concerning display of ignorance.
Did you see that new ACT candidate on Q&A this morning? Interesting background...
(03-09-2023, 06:29 PM)Oh_hunnihunni Wrote: Did you see that new ACT candidate on Q&A this morning? Interesting background...

He was alarmingly slick, I don't trust him at all.  It's a shame Jack gave him such an easy time.
(03-09-2023, 05:52 PM)harm_less Wrote: "Getting electricity prices under control" is just double speak in ACT's context. By writing off the Lake Onslow storage as a government funded project, which is aimed at stabilising electricity supply, they are opening this up to privatisation so just who do they intend to control electricity prices.

For a party that seems to think that everything should be privatised to best balance the market they do seem to have fuck all idea of how big business actually functions, and in respect to essential utilities that is a very concerning display of ignorance.

I can only agree - they give not a toss about anyone other than the already wealthy & the will soon be wealthy.

Which reminded of that Langston Hughes poem.

God to a hungry child

I didn’t make this world for you
You didn’t buy any stocks in my
railroad
You didn’t invest in my
Corporation
Where are your shares in Standard
Oil?
I made the world for the rich
And the will-be-rich
And the have-always-been-rich
Not for you
Hungry child.

Langston Hughes

(03-09-2023, 06:29 PM)Oh_hunnihunni Wrote: Did you see that new ACT candidate on Q&A this morning? Interesting background...

I always manage to forget that its on. Possibly due to not being very keen on politicians. Not sorry I missed it though, despite this one sounding almost interesting.
in order to be old & wise, you must first be young & stupid. (I'm still working on that.)