Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Christopher Luxon's church, The Upper Room
Came across this again recently.

https://tinyurl.com/ycxpsnb6

"CHRIS LUXON has some explaining to do. He has been identified as an evangelical Christian, which, if you’ll pardon the religious cliché, covers a multitude of sins. That’s why I believe Chris Luxon owes New Zealanders a working definition of evangelical Christianity – and how he intends to practice it.
A private matter? Well, that  might be true if Luxon was a person moving into private life. Clearly, however, that is not the case. Luxon has opted to become an even more public person than he was as Air New Zealand’s CEO. 

It is, therefore, disingenuous (to say the least) for Luxon to present his evangelical convictions as having relevance only to himself and the congregation of the Upper Room Church to which he belongs. The very name of his faith community argues against this claim.

The “Upper Room” mentioned in the gospels is the room to which Jesus and his disciples repaired on the night of his arrest. In biblical tradition, it is the location of Christ’s last supper. The Upper Room thus represents the ignition-point of the chain of events that led to Christ’s crucifixion and resurrection. It was Christianity’s first church: Ground Zero, if you like, for Jesus’s universal mission. In the Messiah’s own words:
Therefore go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, and teaching them to obey everything I have commanded you. And surely I am with you always, to the very end of the age.
Does that sound like a private matter? Was the Upper Room really nothing more than the venue for a catered meal for Jesus of Nazareth and a few close friends? Is that it?

Obviously, not. A non-denominational congregation of believers calling themselves The Upper Room Church clearly draw their inspiration from the conviction that, gathered in that celebrated biblical space, were a group of human-beings charged with securing nothing less than the salvation of the whole world. Equally clearly, however, at least some of the church’s members – including Luxon? – are expected to secure the obedience of the nations by using techniques very different from the open preaching of the disciples who left that original Upper Room at Jesus’s side more than 2,000 years ago.

The Upper Room was founded in 1935 with the objective of disseminating biblical verses highlighting the duty of Christians to obey “the powers that be” and eschew rebelliousness in all its forms.

The following year saw the formation of what came to be known as “The Family”. Established in response to the Seattle General Strike of 1936, The Family gathered together in “Christian fellowship” prominent and powerful politicians, state officials and businessmen, for the purposes of re-establishing the dominion of the godly throughout the USA – a mission which included the destruction of those unnatural instruments of Satan, the trade unions. 

This is what Chris Luxon needs to explain. Does he subscribe to Christ’s “preferential option for the poor”? And, is he committed spiritually to fulfilling Christ’s promise that “the meek shall inherit the earth”? 
Or, does The Upper Room, like The Family, preach a gospel of worldly wealth and power, in which the Mighty rule by God’s special favour, meaning that all his true servants are bound to do everything they can to further God’s plans for the men and institutions he raises above them."
in order to be old & wise, you must first be young & stupid. (I'm still working on that.)
The bit on their website (the Auckland group that is) that intrigued me was the outline of past sermons, and that was where I found the demon thing.

That and Farrier mentioning the fact that there are three - that we know of - evangelicals close to Luxon, one in particular seems to be at his side in press conferences more often than his actual deputy, plus one or more as candidates in the upcoming festivities.

Do we really want a government where evangelical church members have a solid presence in Cabinet? Is this New Zealand or America?

In the interests of transparency, I am biased, and of the firm opinion religion, tits, and penises have one thing in common. It isn't polite to wave them around in public.
Oh ffs.......
(05-09-2023, 07:11 PM)Oh_hunnihunni Wrote: The bit on their website  (the Auckland group that is) that intrigued me was the outline of past sermons, and that was where I found the demon thing.

That and Farrier mentioning the fact that there are three - that we know of - evangelicals close to Luxon, one in particular seems to be at his side in press conferences more often than his actual deputy, plus one or more as candidates in the upcoming festivities.

Do we really want a government where evangelical church members have a solid presence in Cabinet? Is this New Zealand or America?

In the interests of transparency, I am biased, and of the firm opinion religion, tits, and penises have one thing in common. It isn't polite to wave them around in public.

That is concerning, as it would be if he was the leader of any political party. Strong religious beliefs are  a very bad idea when mixed with politics, I think. 

I wonder if its that bloke  who looks very young & is often seen in the background with an odd smile.
in order to be old & wise, you must first be young & stupid. (I'm still working on that.)
(05-09-2023, 07:11 PM)Wainuiguy Wrote: Oh ffs.......

I would love you to counter any point I have made WG...

If you can.
(05-09-2023, 07:46 PM)Oh_hunnihunni Wrote:
(05-09-2023, 07:11 PM)Wainuiguy Wrote: Oh ffs.......

I would love you to counter any point I have made WG...

If you can.

My response is effective enough.   Your points simply didn't warrant comment beyond what I already said.
Accompanied by stamping of tiny feet, mutinous look, and folded arms I'm guessing?

Oh dear never mind, I'm sure the Nats will survive.
I think part of the concern about his religious beliefs might be due to his not being very forthcoming about them - while no one would want a sermon from him, just a bit of basic information would help & would perhaps change the perception that he's not being altogether honest & open about those beliefs.

And given events in America lately, people can hardly be blamed for being slightly wary.
(06-09-2023, 02:30 PM)Oh_hunnihunni Wrote: Accompanied by stamping of tiny feet, mutinous look, and folded arms I'm guessing?

Oh dear never mind, I'm sure the Nats will survive.

Only person doing those things appears to be you.
Oh I do an excellent mutinous look, lol...