Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ol' seven houses..
I do have other cameras!
(08-09-2023, 04:19 PM)Praktica Wrote:

Big Grin Big Grin
in order to be old & wise, you must first be young & stupid. (I'm still working on that.)
Darren Watson's Elvis Costello impersonation is superb.
WHY the hell does anyone need 7 houses fgs....

https://www.1news.co.nz/2022/03/22/chris...-comments/
in order to be old & wise, you must first be young & stupid. (I'm still working on that.)
(09-09-2023, 03:40 PM)Lilith7 Wrote: WHY the hell does anyone need 7 houses fgs....

It appears that he has one house to live in, one holiday home, a flat to stay in in Wellington plus 4 investment properties. Of those apparently one is now his campaign office. He's hardly maximising income from the portfolio. And I see nothing wrong in someone who was on a multi-million dollar income choosing to invest in houses that are providing homes for other people. Just like any other "mum and dad investor". The difference possibly being that Luxon's houses might be more high end than average. And I wonder why he hasn't done more. His parliamentary declaration show that the rest of his money has only gone into retirement savings schemes that are probably related to past employment. My concern with his potential status as PM is that he isn't sufficiently financially savvy to run the country well. He will need a good Minister of Finance and Nicola Willis doesn't appear on paper to be any better. But of course both may have expertise that hasn't shown up yet. Time will tell.

The article was good and reiterates a good balance of encouraging people to get ahead while looking after those who need help. It actually pushed me back towards a bit of support for where they are coming from.
(10-09-2023, 10:36 AM)SueDonim Wrote:
(09-09-2023, 03:40 PM)Lilith7 Wrote: WHY the hell does anyone need 7 houses fgs....

It appears that he has one house to live in, one holiday home, a flat to stay in in Wellington plus 4 investment properties. Of those apparently one is now his campaign office. He's hardly maximising income from the portfolio. And I see nothing wrong in someone who was on a multi-million dollar income choosing to invest in houses that are providing homes for other people. Just like any other "mum and dad investor". The difference possibly being that Luxon's houses might be more high end than average. And I wonder why he hasn't done more. His parliamentary declaration show that the rest of his money has only gone into retirement savings schemes that are probably related to past employment. My concern with his potential status as PM is that he isn't sufficiently financially savvy to run the country well. He will need a good Minister of Finance and Nicola Willis doesn't appear on paper to be any better. But of course both may have expertise that hasn't shown up yet. Time will tell.

The article was good and reiterates a good balance of encouraging people to get ahead while looking after those who need help. It actually pushed me back towards a bit of support for where they are coming from.

"Providing homes for other people"

Whilst making a tidy profit so not altogether altruistic & I doubt many would put Luxon in the 'mum & dad investor' category. 

I've recently thought that anyone wanting to be a politician should have limits placed on them, including being able to own just one house as main dwelling & one other as a holiday home.
And that those not from Welly should be provided a modest state house for the time they're in parliament at a reasonable rent, &  that all politicians be required to spend part of their time (which is in our service after all)  surviving on the equiivalent of the lowest wage/benefit over winter, which enables them to stay grounded & in touch with the reality for many they represent.
And while we're about it, the perks & benefits they get for life need looking at closely,too. Including any little loopholes.
It's just them and their mates feathering their own nests, any other conclusion is naive.

They don't give a crap about the ordinary people, their world is a dog eat dog world, devil take the hindmost and they like it that way, they think that it is natural, and a normal way of behaving and any that don't deserve all that they get.

It's not a country anymore just a bigger than normal business.
It's not the least charm of a theory that it is refutable. The hundred-times-refuted theory of "free will" owes its persistence to this charm alone; some one is always appearing who feels himself strong enough to refute it - Friedrich Nietzsche
(10-09-2023, 11:49 AM)Lilith7 Wrote:
(10-09-2023, 10:36 AM)SueDonim Wrote: It appears that he has one house to live in, one holiday home, a flat to stay in in Wellington plus 4 investment properties. Of those apparently one is now his campaign office. He's hardly maximising income from the portfolio. And I see nothing wrong in someone who was on a multi-million dollar income choosing to invest in houses that are providing homes for other people. Just like any other "mum and dad investor". The difference possibly being that Luxon's houses might be more high end than average. And I wonder why he hasn't done more. His parliamentary declaration show that the rest of his money has only gone into retirement savings schemes that are probably related to past employment. My concern with his potential status as PM is that he isn't sufficiently financially savvy to run the country well. He will need a good Minister of Finance and Nicola Willis doesn't appear on paper to be any better. But of course both may have expertise that hasn't shown up yet. Time will tell.

"Providing homes for other people"

Whilst making a tidy profit so not altogether altruistic & I doubt many would put Luxon in the 'mum & dad investor' category. 

I've recently thought that anyone wanting to be a politician should have limits placed on them, including being able to own just one house as main dwelling & one other as a holiday home.
And that those not from Welly should be provided a modest state house for the time they're in parliament at a reasonable rent, &  that all politicians be required to spend part of their time (which is in our service after all)  surviving on the equiivalent of the lowest wage/benefit over winter, which enables them to stay grounded & in touch with the reality for many they represent.
And while we're about it, the perks & benefits they get for life need looking at closely,too. Including any little loopholes.

"Whilst making a tidy profit so not altogether altruistic & I doubt many would put Luxon in the 'mum & dad investor' category. "
We have no idea how much profit he's making and how altruistic he is or isn't. He could, however, have put his money into all sorts of less noble things than housing - eg shares in cigarette companies. I think total ownership of 7 properties puts him into the category of being vulnerable to higher penalties for any mistakes made, rather than the "mum & dad category," but with only three actively rented he's hardly pushing any limits on maximising income.

"should have limits placed on them, including being able to own just one house as main dwelling & one other as a holiday home."
So, the significant number of property investors in this country would not be allowed representation in parliament? The problem we have had for a long time is public bodies making stupid decisions without properly considering the impacts of those decisions. A lot of the mess we have now is because submissions to consultation processes were ignored. What we do desperately need is politicians who have experience of what they are making policy about and/or are willing to listen to people who do have that knowledge and experience.

"surviving on the equiivalent of the lowest wage/benefit over winter, which enables them to stay grounded & in touch with the reality for many they represent"
That would be ideal in many ways, and many probably already do come from that background. The real question comes down to why someone like Luxon who comes from a background of very high salary would want to work in such an unpleasant and unappreciated job on the political salary. Motives are often questioned, but in fact money isn't usually one of them. He would earn far more in the private sector than the impact of being PM could ever give him.

"And while we're about it, the perks & benefits they get for life need looking at closely,too. Including any little loopholes."
Yes! Fully agree with that. The job i is for three years at a time. When it finishes it should be finished.
The taxpayer funds his campaign office. And his Wellington residence I think. So, from the point of view of those of us renting, or being homeless, that situation is so close to corruption it is hard to see him as being philanthropic in his ambition to be PM.

He is a wealth driven ambitious man who uses his intelligence to achieve his goals. With a great deal of good luck, support, and personal commitment. Good on him.

But I still don't like him.