Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
suitable 4G router
Im looking for an inexpensive 4G router that has an ethernet port and can connect into a security camera.

There doesnt seem to be many options, but been looking at this one from china, have no idea if anyone has used something similar or if there is something similar I can source locally without having to wait from overseas.
https://www.trademe.co.nz/a/marketplace/...4312938095
Never used one, but looking at the price, and doing a search online, the Trademe Price is cheaper.

Is the Camera POE or mains Powered, doubt something like that will be POE.

Looking at the TradeMe advert "The delivery time is around 10-15 working days after your purchase." guess they may be ordering after purchase.

In Fact the Descriptions on Trademe  look like a copy paste from Aliexpress.

Aliexpress LINK
Upgrades = Old bugs replaced with new Bugs.
no idea sorry but those look like they sell for $13 on aliexpress so not sure i'd be expecting much...

as a thought have you considered just a phone with a USB-C ethernet adapter, something like that may do the job, although android has a tendency to shut all and sundry off after a while to save power... and they are conventionally used to get internet to the phone rather than from. so might not work at all now i think about it.
This world would be a perfect place if it wasn't for the people.

Sharesies | Buy Crypto | Surfshark VPN | Cloud Backup
(11-09-2023, 05:07 PM)Wainuitech Wrote: Never used one, but looking at the price, and doing a search online, the Trademe Price is cheaper.

Is the Camera POE or mains Powered, doubt something like that will be POE.

Looking at the TradeMe advert "The delivery time is around 10-15 working days after your purchase." guess they may be ordering after purchase.

In Fact the Descriptions on Trademe  look like a copy paste from Aliexpress.

Aliexpress LINK

Its not a POE  camera but uses ethernet or wifi, there are a few 4G cameras out there but motion detection relies on a PIR sensor which is not as reliable.
I think that trademe seller is just a drop shipper from aliexpress, there are a few such sellers on there.
Have no idea how reliable those routers are, but would be willing to try one out to see if it can do the job.
i'd be keen to hear how it works, is there a particular mobile plan you would run it on? thinking of the ongoing data costs
This world would be a perfect place if it wasn't for the people.

Sharesies | Buy Crypto | Surfshark VPN | Cloud Backup
(14-09-2023, 03:54 PM)king1 Wrote: i'd be keen to hear how it works, is there a particular mobile plan you would run it on?  thinking of the ongoing data costs

I ended up going with this.
https://www.gowifi.co.nz/internet-of-thi...rb140.html
Shopping around with different providers, because location of service is also something to consider.
Just going to trial with prepay for now but I don't need much data because I only need to check for any movement that may be recorded each day, which won't be much.
I'm also going to look at adding an arduino battery monitor of some kind that I can check through my browser.
I believe most providers can give you bulk discounts if you need more of these with SIM cards.