Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Winston - "Ugly, wrong, desperate"
The reaction from other parties to Winston's comments  about Maori.

The pariah no one wants to work with - but may yet need to.

https://www.stuff.co.nz/national/politic...ton-peters

"All the other party leaders said he was wrong, but NZ First leader Winston Peters isn’t out in the cold quite yet.
After he told a public meeting in Nelson that he doesn’t think Māori are actually indigenous to Aotearoa New Zealand, Peters faced swift and often brutal rebukes from other political players.
Labour leader Chris Hipkins, who has already said he’d rather lose his job than work with Peters, called Peters’ comments “divisive”. He said it was proof Peters was “a force for chaos” and couldn’t be in government.
ACT leader David Seymour called it “ugly” politics.
"They're desperate. The truth is most polls still have them under 5%, his political career is over and he's got nothing to show for 45 years of this,” Seymour said.
And National leader Christopher Luxon said Peters was clearly “wrong”, but he once again refused[b] [/b]to give an opinion on governing beside Peters.
Asked what line Peters would need to cross, before Luxon rules out working with him, the National leader refused to say."
in order to be old & wise, you must first be young & stupid. (I'm still working on that.)
(12-09-2023, 04:10 PM)Lilith7 Wrote: The reaction from other parties to Winston's comments  about Maori.

"All the other party leaders said he was wrong, but NZ First leader Winston Peters isn’t out in the cold quite yet.
After he told a public meeting in Nelson that he doesn’t think Māori are actually indigenous to Aotearoa New Zealand, Peters faced swift and often brutal rebukes from other political players.
Labour leader Chris Hipkins, who has already said he’d rather lose his job than work with Peters, called Peters’ comments “divisive”. He said it was proof Peters was “a force for chaos” and couldn’t be in government.
"They're desperate. The truth is most polls still have them under 5%, his political career is over and he's got nothing to show for 45 years of this,” Seymour said.
And National leader Christopher Luxon said Peters was clearly “wrong”, but he once again refused[b] [/b]to give an opinion on governing beside Peters.
Asked what line Peters would need to cross, before Luxon rules out working with him, the National leader refused to say."

Aaah, when Winnie retires, all the fun will go out of politics! Big Grin Big Grin
Corgi Wan Kenobi is watching you!
Absolutely. The man is a gem. A distinctly untrustworthy one, lol.
(12-09-2023, 04:23 PM)Kenj Wrote:
(12-09-2023, 04:10 PM)Lilith7 Wrote: The reaction from other parties to Winston's comments  about Maori.

Aaah, when Winnie retires, all the fun will go out of politics! Big Grin Big Grin

It has to be said that he is a huge source of entertainment - but on no acount to be trusted.

I did though, develop a little bit of respect for Steven Joyce when he handlled the flying dildo incident with such humour & grace. Big Grin
in order to be old & wise, you must first be young & stupid. (I'm still working on that.)
Steven Joyce had his moments, definitely.
Quote:"Lilith7" : . . .  I did though, develop a little bit of respect for Steven Joyce when he handlled the flying dildo incident with such humour & grace.  " Big Grin

Lots of practice perhaps?

Tongue
Entropy is not what
it used to be.
(13-09-2023, 12:08 PM)R2x1 Wrote:
Quote:"Lilith7" : . . .  I did though, develop a little bit of respect for Steven Joyce when he handlled the flying dildo incident with such humour & grace.  " Big Grin

Lots of practice perhaps?

Tongue

Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin
Corgi Wan Kenobi is watching you!
Other politicians are uniting to decry Winston? If he's got them that worried he is obviously doing something right.

Wouldn't it be neat if other party leaders all had to submit separate proposals on how they would serve in his government? I'd love to watch that. Tongue
Entropy is not what
it used to be.
(13-09-2023, 01:05 PM)R2x1 Wrote: Other politicians are uniting to decry Winston? If he's got them that worried he is obviously doing something right.

Wouldn't it be neat if other party leaders all had to submit separate proposals on how they would serve in his government?  I'd love to watch that.  Tongue

They could make an absolute fortune if they did a TV series of that - I'd even watch it!

Winnie being devious in order to gain a bit of power & making things difficult for all the other MP's would be worth seeing... Rolleyes Big Grin Big Grin
He can't be trusted and age is now going against him, but so often he is the voice of truth and common sense that we do desperately need. He's right, Maori are not indigenous.
They're as much indigenous to this country as the first of our ancestors to leave the African continent became indigenous to those places they moved to & lived in for hundreds or thusands of years.
(13-09-2023, 03:32 PM)SueDonim Wrote: He can't be trusted and age is now going against him, but so often he is the voice of truth and common sense that we do desperately need. He's right, Maori are not indigenous.

The term indigenous is contentious and as per usual form Winnie is taking the radical approach in using the definition that best fits his narrative. A quick search of online references sees both native and established prior to colonisation definitions used, and the UN takes the latter option as their view.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Indigenous_peoples
Lilith7     They're as much indigenous to this country as the first of our ancestors to leave the African continent became indigenous to those places they moved to & lived in for hundreds or thusands of years.

By that argument, most of us in NZ are indigenous if not foreign born.   Hmm?
Entropy is not what
it used to be.
I guess thinking that way is helpful for one to disassociate any need to treat indigenous peoples any differently - fits with certain agendas I imagine, certain agendas which might be paraphrased as "you're still being colonised" or "you've been colonised - get over it..."
This world would be a perfect place if it wasn't for the people.

Sharesies | Buy Crypto | Surfshark VPN | Cloud Backup
If monarch butterflies can be considered endemic - natives, because they got here under their own steam, our Maori certainly can.

And that Scotty Morrison doco, Origins, was utterly brilliant. Peters needs to get with the programme.
(13-09-2023, 05:14 PM)R2x1 Wrote: Lilith7     They're as much indigenous to this country as the first of our ancestors to leave the African continent became indigenous to those places they moved to & lived in for hundreds or thusands of years.

By that argument, most of us in NZ are indigenous if not foreign born.   Hmm?

Hundreds or thousands of years from now we will be.

It could be said though that all humans are indigenous to Africa.
By the way, it is confidently announced that 42 is the exact number of angels to dance on the head of a pin. It used to be 93, but in line with global trends angels are gaining girth, while modern pins are not only higher priced than traditional pins, they are considerably smaller for perfectly sound economic reasons.

Whatever happens as votes get counted, it is certain that by the holiday season the times will be interesting.

Tongue
Entropy is not what
it used to be.
(14-09-2023, 12:34 PM)R2x1 Wrote: By the way, it is confidently announced that 42 is the exact number of angels to dance on the head of a pin. It used to be 93, but in line with global trends angels are gaining girth, while modern pins are not only higher priced than traditional pins, they are considerably smaller for perfectly sound economic reasons.

Whatever happens as votes get counted, it is certain that by the holiday season the times will be interesting.

Tongue

I'm fairly sure that the Chinese know where they can stick their 'May you live in interesting times' curse... Rolleyes Big Grin Big Grin
(14-09-2023, 12:34 PM)R2x1 Wrote: By the way, it is confidently announced that 42 is the exact number of angels to dance on the head of a pin. It used to be 93, but in line with global trends angels are gaining girth, while modern pins are not only higher priced than traditional pins, they are considerably smaller for perfectly sound economic reasons.

Tongue

what a coincidence that is, the answer to the Ultimate Question, the meaning of life, the universe, and everything...  Rep for you...
This world would be a perfect place if it wasn't for the people.

Sharesies | Buy Crypto | Surfshark VPN | Cloud Backup

Tongue

That'd be shrinkinflation at work...