Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Weirdness...
So there were two missed calls from a number I didn't recognise on my ph, and thinking it was maybe the hospital or dhb I rang back. It was answered by a woman with a heavy accent telling me she was the Electoral Commission and just needed some details that I hadn't filled out on my new enrolment form.

Ummm... new enrolment form? Nahhhhh. No change for the that ten years I told her, and if she had a new form it wasn't from me... Would I give my address and full name please? Nope to that too, seeing I couldn't confirm who she was...

How on earth did she get my number anyway, seeing I am very reluctant to give that to anyone, let alone the Electoral Commission. Why would they need it?

Weirdness indeed.

Or am I just too scam sensitive these days?
sounds like you're just the right amount of scam sensitive...
This world would be a perfect place if it wasn't for the people.

Sharesies | Buy Crypto | Surfshark VPN | Cloud Backup
You will have submitted your phone number to a database sometime in the past, the details of which have now been accessed. 

The ease with which databases can be breached is concerning and those with concerns about firearms registry security are justified in that regard. When such data can be accidentally distributed by some numpty civil servant who doesn't know the difference between 'To' & 'Bcc' as occurred recently, other IT security measures become moot.
a lot of the phone numbers / listings have ended up on here
https://personlookup.co.nz/

this site has been online for a long time...
This world would be a perfect place if it wasn't for the people.

Sharesies | Buy Crypto | Surfshark VPN | Cloud Backup
They didn't know my name... That was the first red flag. Still weird feeling though.

(12-09-2023, 06:12 PM)king1 Wrote: a lot of the phone numbers / listings have ended up on here
https://personlookup.co.nz/

this site has been online for a long time...

And that address is fifteen years old lol...
Well no drinking for that address. . .
Entropy is not what
it used to be.
It might well have been just random scamming, you did the right thing.   I don't even answer calls from unknown numbers unless I'm expecting a call.  Same thing with texts - don't reply unless you are 100% certain that you know who it is.
I am new to mobiles, but have learned that my calls are listed on my 2 degrees account despite me deleting the phone record. This one was from a North Shore landline, which is interesting. I might phone the Electoral Commission tomorrow and find out if I am just being a suspicious old woman or if it was a genuine call.

All this new tech stuff, I need a 14 year old to translate!
(12-09-2023, 07:12 PM)Oh_hunnihunni Wrote: I am new to mobiles, but have learned that my calls are listed on my 2 degrees account despite me deleting the phone record. This one was from a North Shore landline, which is interesting. I might phone the Electoral Commission tomorrow and find out if I am just being a suspicious old woman or if it was a genuine call.

All this new tech stuff, I need a 14 year old to translate!

I had to get a granddaughter to show me how to stream. She's 33 & I'm almost sorry I'll miss that moment far in the future, when a grandchild of hers has to show her how to do something technical, especially since she'd told another granddaughter it would probably take her at least half an hour...
in order to be old & wise, you must first be young & stupid. (I'm still working on that.)