Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Microsoft really making it difficult to switch default browser in win11
You used to be able to do it with just a single click to change your browser defaults.
But now you have to go through every jolly file type it seems in windows 11.
I'm sure earlier versions of 11 were not like this.
Probably means I need to rely on more third party tools and registry hacks, etc.
One click, Top Option still changes the most common used protocols.
Upgrades = Old bugs replaced with new Bugs.
it's there if you go to default apps and use the search apps field to filter to chrome. When you then click on chrome there is a button to set as default browser.
This world would be a perfect place if it wasn't for the people.

Sharesies | Buy Crypto | Surfshark VPN | Cloud Backup
its there if you just find chrome in the list and select it too

(13-09-2023, 05:33 PM)king1 Wrote: it's there if you go to default apps and use the search apps field to filter to chrome.  When you then click on chrome there is a button to set as default browser.

Yeah, that's what I thought. 
Like this here?
It's no longer visible on this machine of mine, it's a fresh install too, I will grab a screenshot later.

(13-09-2023, 07:10 PM)nzoomed Wrote:
(13-09-2023, 05:33 PM)king1 Wrote: it's there if you go to default apps and use the search apps field to filter to chrome.  When you then click on chrome there is a button to set as default browser.

Yeah, that's what I thought. 
Like this here?
It's no longer visible on this machine of mine, it's a fresh install too, I will grab a screenshot later.

yep that's it, top right corner of the window.   Did you fresh install with latest version?  just thinking it may have turned up in a later version update

(13-09-2023, 08:07 PM)king1 Wrote:
(13-09-2023, 07:10 PM)nzoomed Wrote: Yeah, that's what I thought. 
Like this here?

yep that's it, top right corner of the window.   Did you fresh install with latest version?  just thinking it may have turned up in a later version update
Turns out it's only on version 21H2, which is not even the latest version, despite windows telling me it was all up to date. Was a fresh install off the DVD.
Interestingly the set default button is now visible after a reboot and the 22H2 update is now showing up as available. 
However the likes of the media player defaults are still missing the button, but IIRC, the button was only ever available for the browser, either way it was more straightforward in windows 10.
(13-09-2023, 09:08 PM)nzoomed Wrote:
(13-09-2023, 08:07 PM)king1 Wrote: yep that's it, top right corner of the window.   Did you fresh install with latest version?  just thinking it may have turned up in a later version update
Turns out it's only on version 21H2, which is not even the latest version, despite windows telling me it was all up to date. Was a fresh install off the DVD.
Interestingly the set default button is now visible after a reboot and the 22H2 update is now showing up as available. 
However the likes of the media player defaults are still missing the button, but IIRC, the button was only ever available for the browser, either way it was more straightforward in windows 10.

Maybe so, but Windows 10 is gone. Things change and move on Smile what usually happens is some let the changes get to far ahead and instead of staying upto date and there only small changes, then when changing its a bigger learning curve.

Re the 21H2, if that's what's on the DVD then that's what will install. That's why its always better to go to MS and download the actual ISO version you are wanting, and while there will be some updates, there wont be many.

The biggest problems is Hardware drivers, some are installed fine others you need to get them. Usually there's only a couple, depends on the motherboard and other installed hardware.
Upgrades = Old bugs replaced with new Bugs.
(14-09-2023, 03:02 PM)Wainuitech Wrote:
(13-09-2023, 09:08 PM)nzoomed Wrote: Turns out it's only on version 21H2, which is not even the latest version, despite windows telling me it was all up to date. Was a fresh install off the DVD.

Maybe so, but Windows 10 is gone. Things change and move on  Smile what usually happens is some let the changes get to far ahead and instead of staying upto date and there only small changes, then when changing its a bigger learning curve.

Re the 21H2, if that's what's on the DVD then that's what will install. That's why its always better to go to MS and download the actual ISO version you are wanting, and while there will be some updates, there wont be many.

The biggest problems is Hardware drivers, some are installed fine others you need to get them. Usually there's only  a couple, depends on the motherboard and other installed hardware.
For sure, 10 is over, and i totally prefer 11, but it's kind of funny how they have dropped back on the program defaults though, one reason they introduced that section in control panel in the XP days was reportedly a legal requirement in Europe IIRC. The browser wars were still fresh on everyone's minds and Firefox was in its infancy. Looks like 11 only makes it easy to switch browsers, (try setting your file extensions for VLC and you will know what I mean)
And when you search for Chrome, Firefox or any other browser on edge, you get messages telling you not to change. I often block edge with a registry hack because people complain when the default has changed after an update and their "Google" is gone lol

When installing win11, often I get lazy and just let it download the updates during the install, but in this instance I had it offline.
I also have a bootable USB stick that ive put the various windows and linux images onto