Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Nicola Willis - happy to work with David Seymour
Oh joy, what little delights may be in store if that lot get a sniff of power! She always reminds me of Ruth Richardson which is rather unfortunate, in view of the nickname she had at the time, Ruthless.

https://www.stuff.co.nz/national/politic...id-seymour

"Under her plan, a National Government would have just six months to find $14.6 billion if it is to keep its promise of income tax cuts and boosted payments to families. But Willis is sure she can pull that off, telling Stuff she expects to have the majority of the public service “savings” needed to fund this plan done by Christmas.
Her commitment comes amid a polling backdrop that shows National and ACT in a strong position to form the next government. ACT leader David Seymour has been campaigning on a platform of cutting Government spending, saying National hasn’t gone far enough.
In an extended interview on Tova, the new podcast hosted by Stuff chief political correspondent Tova O’Brien, Willis said she would be happy to work beside Seymour in a Treasurer-type role if she was the next minister of finance.
Those cost cuts across the public service would be done by Christmas, Willis told Stuff.
I was fortunate to work for John Key when he first formed a Government in 2008. And I can tell you that in the first 100 days, a huge amount was done,” she said.
Willis refused to entertain the idea that those cuts might not have been found by July, or that the new taxes wouldn’t be generating the revenue needed by her deadline.
Asked if she was willing to borrow money to fund National’s tax relief, Willis replied: “We will be able to deliver it without borrowing... we are confident we can.”
in order to be old & wise, you must first be young & stupid. (I'm still working on that.)
Oh dear. Let us count the ways...

The winter energy payment.
National Superannuation contributions.
ACC stash.

Hang on, the ACC stash - that should do it.
The 'Great Debate' between the maor parties' finance spokespeople should see a few sparks fly. View live here: https://www.newshub.co.nz/home/politics/...ebate.html
Missed it - but as I told youngest grandson, its not a bad idea to keep in mind that they're all a pack of lying bastards who'll say anything to get power.
in order to be old & wise, you must first be young & stupid. (I'm still working on that.)
(14-09-2023, 07:28 PM)Lilith7 Wrote: Missed it - but as I told youngest grandson, its not a bad idea to keep in mind that they're all a pack of lying bastards who'll say anything to get power.
The whole debate is now available through that link via YouTube. The one that IMO was particularly dodging straight answers was Willis. The continuing strategy of promising progress but refusing to back those promses with any substance.
(14-09-2023, 08:43 PM)harm_less Wrote:
(14-09-2023, 07:28 PM)Lilith7 Wrote: Missed it - but as I told youngest grandson, its not a bad idea to keep in mind that they're all a pack of lying bastards who'll say anything to get power.
The whole debate is now available through that link via YouTube. The one that IMO was particularly dodging straight answers was Willis. The continuing strategy of promising progress but refusing to back those promses with any substance.

Its interesting that she's claiming that its all just wonderful but won't provide any actual concrete proof. That isn't ever a good look for any politician especially so close to an election.
Doesn't bode well for the future if they gain power.