Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Kim Hill bowing out of Saturday mornings
Announced earlier today. My weekly dose of Kim will be sorely missed. No other media personality compares to Kim in full flight pulling the wings off of some poorly versed interviewee (or politician).

https://www.rnz.co.nz/news/national/4980...nge-for-me
Absolutely. She will be missed.
Could she not have a little nibble at the heels of each politicians before she bows out??
in order to be old & wise, you must first be young & stupid. (I'm still working on that.)
Bugger.
Entropy is not what
it used to be.
I've not been a fan, mainly because I have a number of friends who are artists or musicians who have been interviewed by her and interrogated as if they were politicians rather than artists hoping for a little publicity.   Her abrasiveness is not always the way to get the best out of people.
People listen to RNZ? Well I never......
Can't stand her, aggressively talking over the people she is trying to interview. We want to see their point of view, not hers - it's her job to get theirs.
In and out of jobs, running free
Waging war with society
(17-09-2023, 06:25 PM)Zurdo Wrote: Can't stand her, aggressively talking over the people she is trying to interview. We want to see their point of view, not hers - it's her job to get theirs.

That seems to be the way of most interviewers these days!
Corgi Wan Kenobi is watching you!
(17-09-2023, 06:25 PM)Zurdo Wrote: Can't stand her, aggressively talking over the people she is trying to interview. We want to see their point of view, not hers - it's her job to get theirs.
With Kim it's more about pressuring her interviewees to get quality information from them. She is very skilled at drilling down to the nub of a subject rather than letting the interviewee control the retoric with their own views or policies. Too many of the media nowadays are too timid or unintelligent to put any real pressure on their interviewees. An interview is nothing but a free promotion for someone if they aren't pulled up on their narrative.

The amount of comments Kim receives from her guests congratulating her on the accuracy and depth of her research on them is an indication of the skill she has in her profession.
More lacking in the skills to get information from them. Smacks of police interviews to get a conviction.
In and out of jobs, running free
Waging war with society
(17-09-2023, 09:47 PM)Zurdo Wrote: More lacking in the skills to get information from them.  Smacks of police interviews to get a conviction.
Bearing in mind that Police are also skilled in extracting truthful information from their interviewees.
She been on for so long in this same time spot and her shtick has become tiresome I feel.
It's not the least charm of a theory that it is refutable. The hundred-times-refuted theory of "free will" owes its persistence to this charm alone; some one is always appearing who feels himself strong enough to refute it - Friedrich Nietzsche
I like her, and of all the journo interviews I have listened to hers become memorable for the interviewee responses rather than the interviewer questions, which I think is rather the point...
(18-09-2023, 08:45 AM)Oh_hunnihunni Wrote: I like her, and of all the journo interviews I have listened to hers become memorable for the interviewee responses rather than the interviewer questions,  which I think is rather the point...

Surely they could let her interview each leader of our political parties one last time  before she retires - I'm sure it would be ever so interesting, given that she has nothing to lose & there's an election looming...?? Rolleyes Big Grin Big Grin
in order to be old & wise, you must first be young & stupid. (I'm still working on that.)
Quote:"Lilith7: Surely they could let her interview each leader of our political parties one last time  before she retires - I'm sure it would be ever so interesting, given that she has nothing to lose & there's an election looming...?? Rolleyes Big Grin Big Grin "

Sorry but in spite of convincing performances our Politicians are not all as stupid as we might think.
They would run a mile (or 1-1/8km)** sooner than submit to an interview where the truth may emerge. Where illusion is all you have to offer, the disillusioned are not taking pre-election bait that is pretty vigorously deployed. There's more than enough sycophantic incompetents offering "Interviews" that follow the political speech writer's script with total obedience, Kim is not going to leave smoke undisturbed or mirrors camouflaged for the sake of an easy day at the office . . .  She invariably knows considerably more about the interviewee and their real views than a cursory Google session might reveal, so advertising, propaganda and bovine effluent is bound to be returned at speed, while  snake oil is likely to be ignited and returned along with the BS.

Politicians of more image than substance didn't get where they are by staying in the kitchen during a warm spell.

** ps: It is election year, so if you're expecting a promised mile to yield more than 1.125km - welcome to the real world
Entropy is not what
it used to be.
(18-09-2023, 01:31 PM)R2x1 Wrote:
Quote:"Lilith7: Surely they could let her interview each leader of our political parties one last time  before she retires - I'm sure it would be ever so interesting, given that she has nothing to lose & there's an election looming...?? Rolleyes Big Grin Big Grin "

Sorry but in spite of convincing performances our Politicians are not all as stupid as we might think.
They would run a mile (or 1-1/8km)** sooner than submit to an interview where the truth may emerge. Where illusion is all you have to offer, the disillusioned are not taking pre-election bait that is pretty vigorously deployed. There's more than enough sycophantic incompetents offering "Interviews" that follow the political speech writer's script with total obedience, Kim is not going to leave smoke undisturbed or mirrors camouflaged for the sake of an easy day at the office . . .  She invariably knows considerably more about the interviewee and their real views than a cursory Google session might reveal, so advertising, propaganda and bovine effluent is bound to be returned at speed, while  snake oil is likely to be ignited and returned along with the BS.

Politicians of more image than substance didn't get where they are by staying in the kitchen during a warm spell.

** ps: It is election year, so if you're expecting a promised mile to yield more than 1.125km - welcome to the real world

Doing the afternnon quiz today, I was reminded of the word Snollygoster. Big Grin

"snollygoster

Dictionary

Definitions from Oxford Languages

/ˈsnɒlɪɡɒstə/

noun

INFORMAL•US

1. shrewdunprincipled person, especially a politician.
    "snollygosters must be thrown out of political office and other positions of power"

Quote: "snollygosters must be thrown out of political office and other positions of power"

NO! Oh my very word, NO!
This sort of rogues and scoundrels must be kept firmly in a political office.  There, they are traditional and expected, part of the furniture. They may be an infernal nuisance, but if allowed out and - for example - delivering bread, we could reasonably expect bread to be late, phenomenally expensive and rising continuously in price while quality (Or ANY symptom of value to the consumer) dwindles almost hourly. We have hundreds of years of politics where snollys are routinely gostered so no disruption is expected and only competency is liable to upset the apple-cart when politicians do politics. The system has evolved so that in practice competency is stifled before the paperwork has even started.
If these rapscallions were to be involved in any stage between the wheat being sown and the wrapper being recycled, the very best outcome is that the consumer skeptically examines his bread and discards it. Alas, the inevitable result of the bread going to landfill would result in the decimation of rubbish tip rats; that means the Greens would have to interupt their march toward more cycleways  replacing roads and the real bread industry would be unable to deliver the goods (just like parliament or the railways) as roads are closed under high court orders while their future is under challenge. The Greens would also need legal action to protect the rats that have tasted the political bread and expired painfully before their endangered status or their language have been protected.
Entropy is not what
it used to be.
Best in the House, when one of those Committees can keep an eye on them?

So we can eat our Vogels in peace.
Definitely in the (Big) house, where the sergeant-at-arms can keep an eye on 'em, and use his arms to terminate the service of any member trying to escape. The natural features of Wellington (Precipitous landscape, Gorse, Bleak climate, Feral protesters . . . ) could be of great value in assisting said Sergeant. Hmm, Being Wellington, perhaps that should be Wheral protesters?

And, provided the Vogels does not involve any politically polluted production processes, the civilians may safely nibble.
Entropy is not what
it used to be.
With peanut butter. For those from the peanut stalls? Or should they be called the lower socio economics..