Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Kainga Ora's Housing Delivery System
A success story which needs to be widely publicised.

https://www.newsroom.co.nz/kainga-ora-up...more-homes
that's kind of impressive...
This world would be a perfect place if it wasn't for the people.

Sharesies | Buy Crypto | Surfshark VPN | Cloud Backup
Definitely impressive. The power of government being utilised in a well thought out and implemented way. A welcome contrast to the 'nailed together' approach of Kiwibuild.
Interestingly enough a few years back the first of these designs went up on a double section next to our village. The two duplexes on the land were demolished and the land fenced off and it remained unoccupied for two years. Then work started, but as construction went ahead there were numerous delays and stand downs, apparently because design features were being changed as the work progressed, much to the contractors horror. It took nearly fifteen months to build to completion, nine units, three stories high. It became transitional housing, managed by a social housing agency, with a manager resident on site, and it has been very well run.

Subsequently clones of this one have gone up in very short order and on much larger scales in several locations in our suburbs, and are now up and running. Again, they seem to be very well managed, with none of the usual dead vehicles and rubbish piles that were loudly predicted by local nimbys. There have been several police call outs on a regular basis, and our crime rates have gone up steadily with cars stolen and damaged, shiplifting, and just a week ago our first vape store hold up.

I scoot past several of these developments on a regular basis, and have never felt unsafe, often been greeted by residents and had chats, so they don't affect me in any negative way, but there is still strong opposition to them and the folk living in them from many in the neighbourhood. But we get that about our little pensioner villages too, from the same people, who see us as a negative influence on their skyrocketing property vales.

But having faced homelessness I am a big fan of these build programmes. I just wish they weren't design clones, but I guess mass production is more efficient than letting imagination rule...
Certainly seems to be a faster method of building houses; there've been quite a lot of them going up here. Shame about the ugly colours though.
But at least people will have a roof over their heads once they're all finished.
in order to be old & wise, you must first be young & stupid. (I'm still working on that.)
There are some going up in our suburb over the other side of the park & today I noticed they've all got solar panels which has to be a good move.
in order to be old & wise, you must first be young & stupid. (I'm still working on that.)
With these intensive housing schemes popping up like Southland rabbits, we are going to need a lot of ticky-tacky and weetbix to replenish the building supply stocks.
Entropy is not what
it used to be.
(18-09-2023, 07:21 PM)Lilith7 Wrote: There are some going up in our suburb over the other side of the park & today I noticed they've all got solar panels which has to be a good move.

I was delighted to see Labour steal the Greens solar policy. I just wish they'd grabbed the bit that said 'on all social housing'...
With a combined effort on Solar Panel installs from central and local government we are about to learn why the absolute lowest tender for panels allied with the lowest hourly rate installers does not totally guarantee the best performing systems.

But, it will be after the election before any stupidity can be enacted so that is totally fine.
Wink
Entropy is not what
it used to be.
what are the odds there will be a rise in the price of solar panels in the not to distant future
This world would be a perfect place if it wasn't for the people.

Sharesies | Buy Crypto | Surfshark VPN | Cloud Backup
What's the betting the price of panels gets to be not a strong factor in the cost of setting it up, what with consultants, installers (who have yet to learn much beyond the OSH requirements re cones and signs etc), and Council / government compliance costs that do as much to add value as they do to housing and the ability of salespeople who believe that "As Seen On TV" is one of their product's best (if dearest) features. Perhaps somebody can take a leaf from the Dutch style of windmill but with rotating panels doing a fair bit of good (especially in Northerly winds).

Wink
Entropy is not what
it used to be.
(19-09-2023, 02:49 PM)R2x1 Wrote: What's the betting the price of panels gets to be not a strong factor in the cost of setting it up, what with consultants, installers (who have yet to learn much beyond the OSH requirements re cones and signs etc), and Council / government compliance costs that do as much to add value as they do to housing and the ability of salespeople who believe that "As Seen On TV" is one of their product's best (if dearest) features. Perhaps somebody can take a leaf from the Dutch style of windmill but with rotating panels doing a fair bit of good (especially in Northerly winds).

Wink

Hmmm...reading that I had this lovely vision of solar windmills being turned not by wind but by politicians. 

As a species they do seem to have a ready supply of hot air with which to rotate the solar panels... Rolleyes Big Grin Big Grin
(19-09-2023, 03:43 PM)Lilith7 Wrote:
(19-09-2023, 02:49 PM)R2x1 Wrote: What's the betting the price of panels gets to be not a strong factor in the cost of setting it up, what with consultants, installers (who have yet to learn much beyond the OSH requirements re cones and signs etc), and Council / government compliance costs that do as much to add value as they do to housing and the ability of salespeople who believe that "As Seen On TV" is one of their product's best (if dearest) features. Perhaps somebody can take a leaf from the Dutch style of windmill but with rotating panels doing a fair bit of good (especially in Northerly winds).

Wink

Hmmm...reading that I had this lovely vision of solar windmills being turned not by wind but by politicians. 

As a species they do seem to have a ready supply of hot air with which to rotate the solar panels... Rolleyes Big Grin Big Grin

That inspires pleasant thoughts, though not as pleasant as massed politicians trotting in treadmill powered generators making electricity, just a little of which is used in tasers to encourage greater output.
Alas, the idea  of any useful output from a political endeavour does not appear in any historical record; possibly it is contrary to the same sort of law that prohibits an immovable object in the same universe as an irresistible force?

Big Grin Rolleyes Big Grin
Entropy is not what
it used to be.
(19-09-2023, 05:26 PM)R2x1 Wrote:
(19-09-2023, 03:43 PM)Lilith7 Wrote: Hmmm...reading that I had this lovely vision of solar windmills being turned not by wind but by politicians. 

That inspires pleasant thoughts, though not as pleasant as massed politicians trotting in treadmill powered generators making electricity, just a little of which is used in tasers to encourage greater output.
Alas, the idea  of any useful output from a political endeavour does not appear in any historical record; possibly it is contrary to the same sort of law that prohibits an immovable object in the same universe as an irresistible force?

Big Grin Rolleyes Big Grin

You're even more evil than I am! Well done! Big Grin Big Grin