Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Oz vote on indigenous voices
Across the dtich they've decided it just might be time to change things a bit - perhaps they will, perhaps they won't. They vote on october 14th - good luck,Oz. Smile

https://www.theguardian.com/australia-ne...y-albanese

The idea for a voice came from the people and it will be decided by the people. Today I announce that referendum day will be 14 October,” Albanese told a packed theatre of yes campaign supporters, to loud applause.
You are not being asked to vote for a political party, or for a person. You’re being asked to vote for an idea. To say yes to an idea whose time has come.”
The announcement was met with immediate support and advocacy from a wide range of social organisations including the Australian Council of Social Services, Liberals for Yes, the trade union movement and Anglicare Australia, as well as the migrant and refugee settlement agency AMES, and Indigenous children’s organisation SNAICC.
In some of his strongest and clearest advocacy for the constitutional reform, Albanese described the voice as “a committee of Indigenous Australians chosen by Indigenous Australians, giving advice to government so that we can get a better result for Indigenous Australians.” He painted the referendum as a simple and clear change that would lead to better policy results and cost savings through more efficient spending.

There are local success stories out there. Just imagine the progress we could make with a voice connecting the regions with the nation,” Albanese said.
Giving locals a say of course means that we save money too. Because we’ll be making sure the funding actually reaches the people on the ground.
No more waste. Better results, where they are needed.”

The prime minister’s speech argued that voting no to the referendum “leads nowhere … nothing changes”. 

Our Australian story goes back 65,000 years. And what a privilege we have of sharing this continent with the oldest continuous culture on earth. But our story is not finished yet,” Albanese said.
It’s up to all of us to write the next chapter together. And we can start by writing one word – yes.”
in order to be old & wise, you must first be young & stupid. (I'm still working on that.)
Bearing in mind how long it took for them to agree their people were actually human beings, I do not have a lot of hope for this...

Or for any changes lasting beyond a change in government.

It is a strange country.
You got that right.  (Again)
Entropy is not what
it used to be.
I'd really like to believe they might just do the right thing, after all this time it would make a nice change.

And if they decide against it then they're just postponing the inevitable; but a reality which may not come about so well.
in order to be old & wise, you must first be young & stupid. (I'm still working on that.)