Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Sometimes a word is worth a zillion pixels - -
Quote:Grand Master :
" Doing the afternnon quiz today, I was reminded of the word Snollygoster. [Image: biggrin.png]"
Sometimes the moment is so perfect, . . .
I don't know if you have ever been disturbed in the middle of a complex task by religious hawkers and spruikers of the cloyingly sincere kind.
I was able to use your word in reference to their opening remarks about the Political Canvassing currently under way.
The total derailment of their carefully rehearsed spiel was a joy to every cockle of my heart.  Thank you for that priceless gift, I very nearly demonstrated a ROFL in reaction to their facial expressions. I suspect the older lady considered i might have been blaspheming with an obscene phrase or word, while the younger one was certain. In spite of their age, they left at a respectable pace.
Nearly as satisfying as the scene many years ago where I eventually tired of their repeated "But you must believe in SOMETHING" phrase and replied that if they must know, I believed in reincarnation through cannibalism.  (I'd had a while to think that over while they refused {politely} to leave.)  But, I doubt that I'm on any list of people to contact for either pairing.

Now I can hardly wait for a door-knocking Snollygoster to call.
It would make my day.

Big Grin
Entropy is not what
it used to be.
(19-09-2023, 05:06 PM)R2x1 Wrote:
Quote:Grand Master :
" Doing the afternnon quiz today, I was reminded of the word Snollygoster. [Image: biggrin.png]"
Sometimes the moment is so perfect, . . .
I don't know if you have ever been disturbed in the middle of a complex task by religious hawkers and spruikers of the cloyingly sincere kind.
I was able to use your word in reference to their opening remarks about the Political Canvassing currently under way.
The total derailment of their carefully rehearsed spiel was a joy to every cockle of my heart.  Thank you for that priceless gift, I very nearly demonstrated a ROFL in reaction to their facial expressions. I suspect the older lady considered i might have been blaspheming with an obscene phrase or word, while the younger one was certain. In spite of their age, they left at a respectable pace.
Nearly as satisfying as the scene many years ago where I eventually tired of their repeated "But you must believe in SOMETHING" phrase and replied that if they must know, I believed in reincarnation through cannibalism.  (I'd had a while to think that over while they refused {politely} to leave.)  But, I doubt that I'm on any list of people to contact for either pairing.

Now I can hardly wait for a door-knocking Snollygoster to call.
It would make my day.

Big Grin

BRAVO!! Well done! I SO wish I'd seen that. Rolleyes Big Grin Big Grin

Some of those old words are excellent, these aren't bad.

https://expresswriters.com/amazing-obsol...ictionary/

I quite like slubberdegullion
in order to be old & wise, you must first be young & stupid. (I'm still working on that.)
All it needs is the word and the moment, sadly for me they are usually at least a month apart. But, water can wear away a stone and then - viola - we have an election, a more expensive way of getting a result more random than a drunk at a dartboard is yet to be found. About the time the last of the granite vanishes, I'll forget the word i need. THAT'S the one SWMBO would have video'd it. All the while laughing with delight.
Ah well, this time, it felt good, although I hope I didn't destroy their faith to the extent they used deletable expletives in anger.

Tongue

ps; I reckon they should look again at gorgonize, more like rocking their world than mesmerizing them at a guess. (Although, it's on the intertubes, so it MUST be ryte.)
Entropy is not what
it used to be.
(19-09-2023, 08:33 PM)R2x1 Wrote: All it needs is the word and the moment, sadly for me they are usually at least a month apart. But, water can wear away a stone and then - viola - we have an election, a more expensive way of getting a result more random than a drunk at a dartboard is yet to be found.  About the time the last of the granite vanishes, I'll forget the word i need. THAT'S the one SWMBO would have video'd it. All the while laughing with delight. 
Ah well, this time, it felt good, although I hope I didn't destroy their faith to the extent they used deletable expletives in anger.

Tongue

ps; I reckon they should look again at gorgonize, more like rocking their world than mesmerizing them at a guess.  (Although, it's on the intertubes, so it MUST be ryte.)

I was thinking of gourmandize? My Dad always said I was a gourmandizer.
Corgi Wan Kenobi is watching you!
Today's word - lalochezia...

The use of foul or vulgar language to reduce pain.

Who knew it had its own name?
Goodness; a word dedicated to carpenters in confined spaces, working with malicious wandering nails.  Excellent!

I'm amazed I was so fluent in the application of a word I didn't know existed.  At least when I became aware of it, I was already pretty current in the practice of it - even under stress.    Be Prepared!

(I rather prefer "versatile and effective" in place of "foul or vulgar " though.)
Entropy is not what
it used to be.
Me too, though I quite enjoy vulgar...
But of course, vulgar might even beat out profane. I tried quite a trot up and down the lalochezia scale, and for extra points, did a fair portion on one leg.. I was inspired by finding a battery drill I didn't even know was missing using only pedestrian braille.
Kicked the little Sebastian, but fortunately my safety jandals were safely undamaged. The lesser sinister foot finger wasn't any too happy though, the drill was just a point or two shy of winning a mystery air trip for one.

Tanstaafl is a handy word, especially this season when snollygosters are sneaking out of their kennels and promising the earth.

I now have a sign on my ranch-slider, right at eye height,
It says:
NO
Snollygosters.
Offenders shot,
Survivors will be shot again.
Haven't had to shoot any - yet
Entropy is not what
it used to be.
(20-09-2023, 09:09 PM)R2x1 Wrote: But of course, vulgar might even beat out profane.  I tried quite a trot up and down the lalochezia scale, and for extra points, did a fair portion on one leg.. I was inspired by finding a battery drill I didn't even know was missing using only pedestrian braille.
Kicked the little Sebastian, but fortunately my safety jandals were safely undamaged. The lesser sinister foot finger wasn't any too happy though, the drill was just a point or two shy of winning a mystery air trip for one.

Tanstaafl is a handy word, especially this season when snollygosters are sneaking out of their kennels and promising the earth.

I now have a sign on my ranch-slider, right at eye height,
It says:
NO
Snollygosters.
Offenders shot,
Survivors will be shot again.
Haven't had to shoot any - yet

Big Grin Big Grin
in order to be old & wise, you must first be young & stupid. (I'm still working on that.)
"Poltroon" is also handy when it comes to heckling Snollygosters Smile.
Entropy is not what
it used to be.