Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Methamphetimine Rules, son's name.
An Australian journalist has named their newborn son Methamphetimine Rules in the name of journalism.

https://www.stuff.co.nz/life-style/wellb...mine-rules

"Kirsten Drysdale  told A Current Affair host Ally Langdon she did it for ABC’s programme WTFAQ, which answers audience questions.
Viewers were asking questions about baby names and what parents   could legally call their child, but Drysdale couldn’t get a clear answer from the Department of Deaths, Births and Marriages.
"What we were trying to find out was what the registrar names a baby if the parents don't come up with an acceptable name, because that's what actually happens if parents don't lodge a name that's acceptable,” she told Langdon.

"So we thought, well, we're in the perfect position to find out ... we'll lodge a name that's so outrageous that it couldn't possibly be accepted.” But then the name was approved.

Drysdale said she had been assured all applications were screened by humans and the chance the name would make it through would be incredibly low.
"But I really didn't think this would happen."

"The registry have been really good at working through this with us, acknowledging that it shouldn't have happened, and we're going through the process of getting a correction done, so it won't follow him around forever.”

Drysdale was now in the process of getting it corrected."

Had a look at what the situation is here, slightly different.

https://www.newshub.co.nz/home/lifestyle...ealed.html

"Look, I'm not one to judge a person on their name (read my name backwards for a laugh), but let's take a minute to thank whoever enforced the rule that a name has to be approved by the Registrar-General before it becomes legal - saving many a child across the motu from possible torment. 
Following the release of 2022's most popular baby names earlier this week, the Registrar-General of Births, Deaths and Marriages has now revealed the list of names that were rejected.
Royalty was once again the prevailing theme among the baby names that were declined in New Zealand last year, with the likes of King, Prince, Princess and Saint reappearing on the list of proposed forenames that didn't get the stamp of approval.
For the 14th year in a row, the forename declined the most number of times was 'King', which has been the most commonly rejected name in Aotearoa since 2009. 
However, a total of 13 new names were included on the list for 2022, including Biship, King-Kelly, Rhoyal, Saynt and Hosea-King.
There are guidelines in place to ensure that names don't cause offence, are a reasonable length and don't represent an official title or rank," said Jeff Montgomery, Registrar-General of Births, Deaths and Marriages.
Names that do not meet the criteria can be reviewed by the Registrar-General on a case-by-case basis. In the instance that your baby's name is reviewed, you are given the opportunity to present the reasoning for the name. The significance of a name to the family is considered on balance with how the name may be perceived by the public, and the Department of Internal Affairs' obligations under the relevant legislation."
in order to be old & wise, you must first be young & stupid. (I'm still working on that.)
I remember getting my husband's death certificate and seeing my name spelt incorrectly. So I rang the local registrars office and was told yes, they would change it, I just had to show up person with photo ID, provide my birth certificate, marriage certificate and pay a rather substantial fee.

It was their mistake.

I didn't bother.
(20-09-2023, 05:31 PM)Oh_hunnihunni Wrote: I remember getting my husband's death certificate and seeing my name spelt incorrectly. So I rang the local registrars office and was told yes, they would change it, I just had to show up person with photo ID, provide my birth certificate, marriage certificate and pay a rather substantial fee.

It was their mistake.

I didn't bother.

The phrase 'bunch of bastards' is coming to mind frequently lately - I blame the election - & it came up again just now, when I was reading your post & came to the part where you have to pay for their mistake.

Dodgy
in order to be old & wise, you must first be young & stupid. (I'm still working on that.)
I was looking after an elderly lady when I was involved in Budget assistance. Her husband had died a year earlier and she had paid to have his name put into the memorial book which has the day current day shown under a glass cover at the local cemetery. I picked her up,took her home where SWMBO had made a nice lunch then we took her up to see her husbands name in the memorial book. Unfortunately it wasn't there and we had a most distressed old lady on our hands.

Took her home and gave her a cuppa and when she had calmed down we took her home and got the receipt for the service she paid for and set out to get to the bottom of the matter.

This was 40 years ago and I can't remember who was at fault but whoever it was said Ooops, sorry, we will fix that up for her, The cost will be $$$ whatever it was. When I remonstrated that there shouldn't be a charge they wouldn't relent. I thanked them then sat down and wrote a letter to the local paper nnd rang them back quoting what I was prepared to send for publication. Strange how the matter was fixed and a week later we took the old dear up where they had a special opening just for her of the book, where she saw her husbands name on the day of his death,

Why do you have to push people to do the right thing when they have made an obvious mistake?
Corgi Wan Kenobi is watching you!
A little power drives all sense from their tiny pointed heads I think.