Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
ACT raising pension age
Photo 
There also needs to be a desire to be this person who works hard and reaps the reward, climbing to the top of the success ladder. I guess I'm one of them - oh I got the highest qualifications for my trade, owned my own business, but I have never run after money, or position. I have flipped through a lot of jobs, always for experience, never for the money or promotion. Through overtime, shifts or bonus schemes I've doubled my 40 hr income, I'm not a lazy no hoper, just someone happy with what they do and a modest income covers all my needs.

But I'm still working a 40 hour week at 70. Actually I'm living the dream, I have a real job where I do real work and am the only reason the business if still running. I know what sort of jobs guys my age get - the old fulla, sweeps the floor, does errands etc. My boss fits the work hard and get rich model - he can't stop working to make money. It's sad he can't see it has ruined his life, he has enough to retire and enjoy a fun life, but he is so driven...he just keeps trying to make the money.

A glimpse of my working life, a couple of things I was fixing a few weeks ago.

In and out of jobs, running free
Waging war with society
(23-09-2023, 11:48 AM)Oh_hunnihunni Wrote: It is also seen as a threat to those conditioned since birth to think they can achieve the top of the pole with that hard work and sacrifice. Despite the fact it is an illusion. The vast majority of people get to the end of their lives with a few regrets, very few involve not putting in enough hours for the boss.

True - I'm fairly sure there won't be many of us lying on our deathbeds wishing we'd spent more time at work. Rolleyes

But it might perhaps be interesting to know what regrets those who've devoted themselves to Neo Liberalism have on theirs.
in order to be old & wise, you must first be young & stupid. (I'm still working on that.)
I think it is a form of mental illness in some cases. Driven being a symptom. If your career is your baby then what happened to the actual...

Besides, what would happen if everyone spent their whole lives climbing that slippery pole, and got there, the way so many advocate?

Creak, creak, snap, Timberrrrrrrrrrrr!

Delusional...

(23-09-2023, 02:53 PM)Zurdo Wrote: There also needs to be a desire to be this person who works hard and reaps the reward, climbing to the top of the success ladder. I guess I'm one of them - oh I got the highest qualifications for my trade, owned my own business, but I have never run after money, or position. I have flipped through a lot of jobs, always for experience, never for the money or promotion. Through overtime, shifts or bonus schemes I've doubled my 40 hr income, I'm not a lazy no hoper, just someone happy with what they do and a modest income covers all my needs.

But I'm still working a 40 hour week at 70. Actually I'm living the dream, I have a real job where I do real work and am the only reason the business if still running. I know what sort of jobs guys my age get - the old fulla, sweeps the floor, does errands etc. My boss fits the work hard and get rich model - he can't stop working to make money. It's sad he can't see it has ruined his life, he has enough to retire and enjoy a fun life, but he is so driven...he just keeps trying to make the money.

A glimpse of my working life, a couple of things I was fixing a few weeks ago.

Hang on though, when work is something like that, is it still work? Reminds me of the time someone challenged me to add up what the real price of a bit of my strange stuff was - at that price no one could afford to buy it...

It wasn't work either. Any more than gardening is for me.  Big Grin
You know what they say though - if you love your job then you'll never work a day in your life. Smile
in order to be old & wise, you must first be young & stupid. (I'm still working on that.)
I don't love my job, but it has always been very interesting, and that is the most important thing for me...as I said, not the money. It used to require manual skills, less so these days, and has always been a job to use mental skills too, more so these days. I could never be an office worker, and I don't like to tell others what to do, so management level is a no go.
Waging war with society
Would you miss it?
Oh yes, fixing things is what I do.

Just a counterpoint to ''If you work hard'' etc...and if you don't you deserve all you get. I've worked hard, won't say I'm not stupid, but the millions haven't come my way. Mainly because I didn't go looking for them. Funny how people don't fit stereotypes.
Waging war with society
If you want to do something well that benefits the consumer about as well as the people in the provider chain, you're probably not going to be on the rich list; if you're annoyed that sales and marketing should be the biggest cost centers in the production process, you may not be cut out for wealth.
If you consider that cheese paring on production and design is essential, and warranty service is a shockingly expensive bit of tomfoolery, or "As Seen On TV" is highly motivating, it is obvious that ACT or Nat is your promised land. Just remember, ACT leaders may have the courage of their convictions, and Nat leaders come and go with the wind changes, but  their big sponsors rate anybody without a tax-free income above 6 figures as a serf. Snollygosters are not always (or ever) the least biased of news sources.

Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin
Entropy is not what
it used to be.
(23-09-2023, 08:44 PM)Zurdo Wrote: Oh yes, fixing things is what I do.

Just a counterpoint to ''If you work hard'' etc...and if you don't you deserve all you get.  I've worked hard, won't say I'm not stupid, but the millions haven't come my way.  Mainly because I didn't go looking for them.  Funny how people don't fit stereotypes.

And the not looking for millions is something the vast majority do. We have other aims and ambitions. Maybe that is the bit the few that do have that drive will just never understand. But putting it down to a failure to work hard and sacrifice is just plain wrong.

(23-09-2023, 09:32 PM)R2x1 Wrote: If you want to do something well that benefits the consumer about as well as the people in the provider chain, you're probably not going to be on the rich list; if you're annoyed that sales and marketing should be the biggest cost centers in the production process, you may not be cut out for wealth.
If you consider that cheese paring on production and design is essential, and warranty service is a shockingly expensive bit of tomfoolery, or "As Seen On TV" is highly motivating, it is obvious that ACT or Nat is your promised land. Just remember, ACT leaders may have the courage of their convictions, and Nat leaders come and go with the wind changes, but  their big sponsors rate anybody without a tax-free income above 6 figures as a serf. Snollygosters are not always (or ever) the least biased of news sources.

But surely, when repeated polls from different sources, and different research reports all suggest the same thing it is then incumbent upon leadership to follow that direction? Or is for the people by the people just another bit of marketing?
(24-09-2023, 07:18 AM)Oh_hunnihunni Wrote:
(23-09-2023, 08:44 PM)Zurdo Wrote: Oh yes, fixing things is what I do.

Just a counterpoint to ''If you work hard'' etc...and if you don't you deserve all you get.  I've worked hard, won't say I'm not stupid, but the millions haven't come my way.  Mainly because I didn't go looking for them.  Funny how people don't fit stereotypes.

And the not looking for millions is something the vast majority do. We have other aims and ambitions. Maybe that is the bit the few that do have that drive will just never understand. But putting it down to a failure to work hard and sacrifice is just plain wrong.

(23-09-2023, 09:32 PM)R2x1 Wrote: If you want to do something well that benefits the consumer about as well as the people in the provider chain, you're probably not going to be on the rich list; if you're annoyed that sales and marketing should be the biggest cost centers in the production process, you may not be cut out for wealth.

But surely, when repeated polls from different sources, and different research reports all suggest the same thing it is then incumbent upon leadership to follow that direction? Or is for the people by the people just another bit of marketing?

"And the not looking for millions is something the vast majority do. We have other aims and ambitions. Maybe that is the bit the few that do have that drive will just never understand. But putting it down to a failure to work hard and sacrifice is just plain wrong."

I tihink that's it in a nutshell; while a few are focused on gaining  & keeping wealth, most of us are not. Either because we believe it to be way out of our reach or because we don't want it for various reasons; possilby due to having seen what it does to some.

"But surely, when repeated polls from different sources, and different research reports all suggest the same thing it is then incumbent upon leadership to follow that direction? Or is for the people by the people just another bit of marketing?
But surely, when repeated polls from different sources, and different research reports all suggest the same thing it is then incumbent upon leadership to follow that direction? Or is for the people by the people just another bit of marketing?"

You'd think so, but perhaps it needs to reach a level where there's no other possible course for politicians to follow. They do seem very keen to avoid doing what most of us want them to do, but they cannot continue to do that without it sooner or later, looking very like they're deliberately ignoring what most of us want - & that would be a very uncomfortable stance for a political party, with the danger that a competing party might take advantage.
Too much money blown by this government that could have been set aside for his. But even still, Winston says there is no need to raise the age.
Unapologetic NZ first voter, white cis male, climate change skeptic.