Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
national to reverse speed limit changes
Thumbs Up 
And restore the speed limits prior to labour slowing them down.
I know ACT will be on board with this too.
The road to zero campaign was an utter failure to say the least.
Unapologetic NZ first voter, white cis male, climate change skeptic.
I guess saving lives just doesn't matter to some. Till it is someone they know.
National's "policies" are just hot button pushing - hoping that enough small groups of the idiot disgrunted vote for them.
I do have other cameras!
(24-09-2023, 08:55 PM)Oh_hunnihunni Wrote: I guess saving lives just doesn't matter to some. Till it is someone they know.

lowering speed limits hasnt saved any lives, the people who drive drunk or speed will do it anyway, same as the failed gun "buyback" its targeted the wrong people
yes i know
(25-09-2023, 06:54 AM)jim157 Wrote:
(24-09-2023, 08:55 PM)Oh_hunnihunni Wrote: I guess saving lives just doesn't matter to some. Till it is someone they know.

lowering speed limits hasnt saved any lives, the people who drive drunk or speed will do it anyway, same as the failed gun "buyback" its targeted the wrong people

Yes, driving on the Napier/Taupo road which has been reduced to 80K/hr for about 90KM is a pain. Firstly, there are bad areas due to Cyclone damage but OK, make those parts 80K area. But, most of the road is good and was designed to be driven at average of 80K/hr. So many people drive at 100K anyway and like jim157 says, we will always have idiots.
Corgi Wan Kenobi is watching you!
(25-09-2023, 06:54 AM)jim157 Wrote:

Speed kills. Lowering speed limits is an obvious safety measure. Proving a negative has always been a challenge, but the road toll doesn't lie. Those deaths were and continue to be a huge waste, a huge cost to the country, and a massive blow to hundreds of families. Even if the policy saved one life it was worth it, just as raising them will cost a fortune.

And everyone will pay it.
(24-09-2023, 08:23 PM)C_T_Russell Wrote: And restore the speed limits prior to labour slowing them down.

Just fabulous - how many children killed near their schools is an acceptable figure for the Nats, then...

Just when you think politicians cannot possibly get any more desperate for votes. Dodgy Dodgy
in order to be old & wise, you must first be young & stupid. (I'm still working on that.)
So national supporters think that idiots rule?
I do have other cameras!
(25-09-2023, 10:55 AM)Lilith7 Wrote:
(24-09-2023, 08:23 PM)C_T_Russell Wrote: And restore the speed limits prior to labour slowing them down.

Just fabulous - how many children killed near their schools is an acceptable figure for the Nats, then...

Just when you think politicians cannot possibly get any more desperate for votes. Dodgy Dodgy

I drove a school van 2008-2019 and I'll tell you what the biggest problem is around schools. Dopey sheilas dropping off and picking up their kids. They think they have to park as close as possible to school gates to let their kids out. They double park, they park in no parking zones, they park across residents driveways. They create havoc around the school entrances. Don't tell me I'm wrong, I could write a book about it. They say they have to drop them off as they could be abducted. More chance of being run over around a school entrance by some other dopey mother.! Why they can't park a 100M or so away and walk them that distance? I lost count of the number of times I saw a child run out into the street when they saw Mummy arrive in the family SUV.
Corgi Wan Kenobi is watching you!
(25-09-2023, 12:55 PM)Kenj Wrote:
(25-09-2023, 10:55 AM)Lilith7 Wrote: Just fabulous - how many children killed near their schools is an acceptable figure for the Nats, then...

I drove a school van 2008-2019 and I'll tell you what the biggest problem is around schools. Dopey sheilas dropping off and picking up their kids. They think they have to park as close as possible to school gates to let their kids out. They double park, they park in no parking zones, they park across residents driveways. They create havoc around the school entrances. Don't tell me I'm wrong, I could write a book about it. They say they have to drop them off as they could be abducted. More chance of being run over around a school entrance by some other dopey mother.! Why they can't park a 100M or so away and walk them that distance? I lost count of the number of times I saw a child run out into the street when they saw Mummy arrive in the family SUV.

They need a better system for dropping off & picking up kids, a queue with people making sure no one mucks up.

We also have walking buses here in summer, just groups of kids with one or two adults walking to or from school.
in order to be old & wise, you must first be young & stupid. (I'm still working on that.)

And what has the road toll done since these speed limit changes were introduced?   Better or worse?

(25-09-2023, 08:48 AM)Oh_hunnihunni Wrote:
(25-09-2023, 06:54 AM)jim157 Wrote: lowering speed limits hasnt saved any lives, the people who drive drunk or speed will do it anyway, same as the failed gun "buyback" its targeted the wrong people

Speed kills. Lowering speed limits is an obvious safety measure. Proving a negative has always been a challenge, but the road toll doesn't lie. Those deaths were and continue to be a huge waste, a huge cost to the country, and a massive blow to hundreds of families. Even if the policy saved one life it was worth it, just as raising them will cost a fortune.

If that is the case we should lower the open road limit to 50kmh and solve the road toll overnight.  Of course it won't  solve the issue.

(25-09-2023, 10:55 AM)Lilith7 Wrote:

Typical lefty response.  How many schools you know of in 100kmh areas?  The restrictions around schools will remain as they are.  However turning entire cities into 30kmh zones like Wellington and Christchurch propose is utter BS.  Wellington had to backtrack recently when their costing for how much it would save were found to be wrong resulting in virtually no improvement in costs or lives saved.
(25-09-2023, 02:48 PM)Wainuiguy Wrote:

And what has the road toll done since these speed limit changes were introduced?   Better or worse?

(25-09-2023, 08:48 AM)Oh_hunnihunni Wrote: Speed kills. Lowering speed limits is an obvious safety measure. Proving a negative has always been a challenge, but the road toll doesn't lie. Those deaths were and continue to be a huge waste, a huge cost to the country, and a massive blow to hundreds of families. Even if the policy saved one life it was worth it, just as raising them will cost a fortune.

If that is the case we should lower the open road limit to 50kmh and solve the road toll overnight.  Of course it won't  solve the issue.

(25-09-2023, 10:55 AM)Lilith7 Wrote: Just fabulous - how many children killed near their schools is an acceptable figure for the Nats, then...

Typical lefty response.  How many schools you know of in 100kmh areas?  The restrictions around schools will remain as they are.  However turning entire cities into 30kmh zones like Wellington and Christchurch propose is utter BS.  Wellington had to backtrack recently when their costing for how much it would save were found to be wrong resulting in virtually no improvement in costs or lives saved.

Typical rightie response. Presumably you've never seen cars speeding past schools.
Based on my observations over the weekend just passed the most effective way to reduce open road speed is for fuel prices to keep heading for the sky. Taranaki - Wellington return there were plenty of drivers at the heads of queues of traffic doing 80km/h too scared to touch the throttle, presumably in an attempt to economise on fuel use.

The same thing was noticeable last time petrol prices headed into the $3+ range so I'm guessing there's a correlation. Nothing focuses folks' minds like a hit on their wallet!
(25-09-2023, 06:22 PM)Lilith7 Wrote:
(25-09-2023, 02:48 PM)Wainuiguy Wrote: And what has the road toll done since these speed limit changes were introduced?   Better or worse?

Typical rightie response. Presumably you've never seen cars speeding past schools.

And of course there are never children being driven in speeding vehicles...

And wainui? How many more cars on the road?
(25-09-2023, 06:22 PM)Lilith7 Wrote:
(25-09-2023, 02:48 PM)Wainuiguy Wrote: And what has the road toll done since these speed limit changes were introduced?   Better or worse?

Thanks for proving my point - well done Lilith.

(25-09-2023, 06:40 PM)Oh_hunnihunni Wrote:
(25-09-2023, 06:22 PM)Lilith7 Wrote: Typical rightie response. Presumably you've never seen cars speeding past schools.

And of course there are never children being driven in speeding vehicles...

And wainui? How many more cars on the road?

I believe 4
I believe you, lol...

How many lives has it even saved I wonder?
Road deaths have certainly not improved in recent years.
On the talk back radio people were calling in to say some roads have dropped down to 60k from 100, that's a joke.
I know lots of roads have been taken down to 80 from 100 and I will see cars pass me in these areas if I do 80 anyway. It might encourage more dangerous behavior if anything.
Unapologetic NZ first voter, white cis male, climate change skeptic.
CT, you keep asking for impossible figures... road toll, covid, we can only model the number of lives lost. Truth is, it only matters when they are lives we loved.

Then you can trust me, it matters a hell of a lot. For a very long time.
Not to worry about the prestidigitators raising speed limits, if the pickpockets get in to Gov't we'll all be going backwards anyway.

Wink
Entropy is not what
it used to be.
Point!