Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Nats to "crack down on people on benefits"
(27-09-2023, 11:45 AM)jim157 Wrote:
(26-09-2023, 06:59 PM)Olive Wrote: I am a long term tax payer, pakeha and as such a recipient of the benefits of colonisation.  I am willing to carry financially the citizens of our country who are struggling with the intergenerational damage caused by my English antecedents' land grabs and suppression of indigenous culture, and also the citizens who have mental and physical health challenges which make their working lives precarious.   

Would you prefer that children starve?

intergenerational damage, what a joke, no maori alive today would exist if not for colonisation, as for land grabs they did a fair bit of that pre whitey

gawd you sound like a poster child for intergenerational damage...
This world would be a perfect place if it wasn't for the people.

Sharesies | Buy Crypto | Surfshark VPN | Cloud Backup
(26-09-2023, 06:59 PM)Olive Wrote: I am a long term tax payer, pakeha and as such a recipient of the benefits of colonisation.  I am willing to carry financially the citizens of our country who are struggling with the intergenerational damage caused by my English antecedents' land grabs and suppression of indigenous culture, and also the citizens who have mental and physical health challenges which make their working lives precarious.   

intergenerational damage, what a joke, no maori alive today would exist if not for colonisation, as for land grabs they did a fair bit of that pre whitey

The arrival of colonising Europeans did far more damage to Maori than would ever have occurred if that invasion hadn't happened. Europeans brought diseases that the indigenous peoples of many lands had no protection against and then they are swindled out of their territories and slaughtered if they resisted. Sounds like a pretty sick joke if that's what you're referring to it as. Is it any wonder the Maoris hold resentment towards the crimes committed against them?

That is utter nonsense. Perhaps its easier for you to ignore, for whatever reasons, that Maori survived well here before they were invaded & colonised.  Huh Dodgy
in order to be old & wise, you must first be young & stupid. (I'm still working on that.)
Unbelievably, National now claims that their punitive 'traffic light system' is driven by "love." It may be driven by many things, but 'love' seems to be the most unlikely. Making someone's life more difficult cannot be seriously called 'love' if its making their survival even harder than it needs to be. Particularly when it's preceded by a comment which is unverified & demeaning.

https://www.teaonews.co.nz/2023/09/27/na...n-by-love/

"National says its new benefit sanctions policy would aim to help the kind of person who shows up to a job interview in their pyjamas.
Its social development spokesperson Louise Upston told Checkpoint on Tuesday the sanctions could be “effective in encouraging movement from benefits to work”.

She said one employer had told her a person showed up for an interview in their pyjamas.
“Their view was that person was not actively or seriously seeking a job with their business,” she told host Lisa Owen.
She would not reveal who the employer was, and acknowledged she had not independently verified their story.

The traffic light system would see beneficiaries moved from green to orange after a first breach, requiring more regular check-ins or job workshops.

After a third breach, they would go to the “red” level, where a person could face benefit reductions, mandatory community work experience, money management, or suspension.

While the Greens called it cruel and Labour questioned its effectiveness, National leader Christopher Luxon said it was “doing the right thing by people” to prevent them getting used to “subsistence and poverty”.
“We care about these people. We love these people. We want them to do well, we want them to be able to flourish and we actually need to make sure they’re clear about the obligations,” he said.

Unemployment has been below 4 percent since mid-2011. The last time it was that low was under the Labour-led government in the late 2000s, prior to the global financial crisis. "
in order to be old & wise, you must first be young & stupid. (I'm still working on that.)
Quote: Lilith7 ; "That is utter nonsense. Perhaps its easier for you to ignore, for whatever reasons, that Maori survived well here before they were invaded & colonised. Huh Dodgy."

As did their predecessors. Although the Maori way to "colonise' the indigenous persons was a rather more salutary process of absorption than the method inflicted on them.

Wink
Entropy is not what
it used to be.
(28-09-2023, 01:16 PM)R2x1 Wrote:
Quote: Lilith7 ; "That is utter nonsense. Perhaps its easier for you to ignore, for whatever reasons, that Maori survived well here before they were invaded & colonised.  Huh Dodgy."

As did their predecessors. Although the Maori way they "colonised' the indigenous persons was a rather more salutary process of absorption. 

Wink

What "indigenous persons" were they?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pre-M%C4%8...stors%20of
I do have other cameras!
Human beings colonise the territory of other human beings. It is an ongoing process. That does not mean we shouldn't do our damnedest to repair the damage done in our own neck of the woods. If we don't we are complicit in promoting and continuing that damage, by choice.
Exactly, Hunni.  

By the way, it has been decided on Twitter that the jobseeker in pyjamas is closely related to Michael "Toilet Seat" Woodhouse's homeless man.
(28-09-2023, 03:46 PM)Olive Wrote: Exactly, Hunni.  

By the way, it has been decided on Twitter that the jobseeker in pyjamas is closely related to Michael "Toilet Seat" Woodhouse's homeless man.
And this is from the Nat's who continue to stall release of any hard data to fact check their tax policies with, instead telling us to 'trust them'. How stupid do they really think the voting public are?
(28-09-2023, 03:53 PM)harm_less Wrote:

And this is from the Nat's who continue to stall release of any hard data to fact check their tax policies with, instead telling us to 'trust them'. How stupid do they really think the voting public are?

Well - quite few, it seems, going by the poll figures.
And of course, then there are those who took part in today's 'protest' outside an empty parliament...led by his oiliness & that other idiot.
Rolleyes Big Grin Big Grin
Fantastic policy [Removed: Rule 8]
(29-09-2023, 07:08 AM)Wainuiguy Wrote: Fantastic policy [Removed: Rule 8]

You're a particularly nasty sort of person - not surprising that you support the right.
I do have other cameras!
I am reminded by the cartoon on Stuff this morning that Mr Luxon cannot be trusted. I am also reminded that despite being repeatedly outed as a blatant liar Trump still has supporters.

Our two nations have a great deal in common.

(29-09-2023, 07:26 AM)Praktica Wrote:

You're a particularly nasty sort of person - not surprising that you support the right.

Wainui is a stirrer. I have difficulty seeing the real person behind the words, but every now and then I detect a grin...
(29-09-2023, 07:26 AM)Praktica Wrote:

Actually I am more of a centrist than right.   In fact many of my beliefs would be seen as quite liberal.

"Decided on Twitter"  sound like we needn't have elections if things can be "decided on Twitter".
(29-09-2023, 09:44 AM)Wainuiguy Wrote:

"Decided on Twitter"  sound like we needn't have elections if things can be "decided on Twitter".
Are you unfamiliar with the term 'tongue in cheek', or not aware enough to realise when it is intended?
Every election National roll out the same targets - beneficiaries,gangs & crime. Every election they're going to 'get tough' on these groups which they appear to believe (though I have doubts as to actual belief) are responsible for all the ills of society, rather than a product of it.
These groups are especially handy since they seldom, if ever, fight back.

And every election, Winston pushes the race button. Again.

Imagine what our politicians might achieve if they just put aside their pathetic rivalry & propaganda & all worked together with a long term view.
Unfortunately, those buttons are there to be pushed (and votes to be garnered) because there is a part of society who are racist, selfish and stupid. This part is big enough to swing a close election.
I do have other cameras!
(29-09-2023, 11:10 AM)Praktica Wrote: Unfortunately, those buttons are there to be pushed (and votes to be garnered) because there is a part of society who are racist, selfish and stupid. This part is big enough to swing a close election.

True - which is also an excellent argument for more extensive education. And teaching kids empathy thoughout their schooling.
So it's probably a good thing that National plan to increase the benefit paid to those receiving it then?
Unapologetic NZ first voter, white cis male, climate change skeptic.