Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Neanderthals still among us,Dan Wootton
Has been suspended for his reaction to comments made by a guest, Laurence Fox, on his show. Seems fair; he could have reacted differently. That he didn't really says it all.

I thought we'd progressed far more than this but it seems not. I hope they both have daughters & are able to learn from that. Dodgy

https://www.stuff.co.nz/entertainment/30...t-comments

"Kiwi journalist Dan Wootton has been suspended by GB News, along with Laurence Fox, over Fox’s offensive comments about a female journalist.
Appearing on Wootton’s show on Tuesday night UK time, Fox said: “Who would want to shag that?” about Ava Evans, a political reporter.
Wootton laughed throughout and, according to screenshots posted by Fox, allegedly sent him a series of laughing face emojis after the broadcast.
In a statement on Wednesday, GB News said it had “suspended Dan Wootton following comments made on his programme by Laurence Fox last night. This follows our decision earlier today to formally suspend Mr Fox. We are conducting a full investigation”.

Wootton issued two apologies, telling Evans that he thought she was “brilliant” and “this is not what our channel is about”.
He called the conversation with Fox “a bizarre exchange”, which he said had put him under “intense pressure”.

Later, he said that he was “in no way amused by the comments” and had “reacted as I did out of shock and surprise”, adding that he “should have intervened immediately to challenge offensive and misogynistic remarks”.

However, Fox shared a screenshot of a private social media exchange, which he claimed was between him and Wootton, shortly after the show was broadcast, in which he said: “Making you giggle is my weekly joy.”
Wootton allegedly replied with laughing face emojis and the message: “You can imagine them freaking out in the gallery!”
F‌ox and Wootton were discussing Evans after she had taken part in a BBC Politics Live discussion earlier in the day about the high rates of male suicide and whether Britain needed a minister for men.
Evans said the idea “feeds into the culture war” and argued that the mental health crisis was not specific to men.

The broadcaster had earlier called Fox’s comments “totally unacceptable”.
Fox issued a statement on social media in which he claimed he was “totally within my rights to say that I wouldn’t want to shag a hyper offended fourth wave feminist and not apologise, just as people are totally within their rights to be offended by my stating I would run a mile in the opposite direction from women like her, should our paths cross in a bar. It’s called free speech”.

Reacting to Fox’s remarks, Ms Evans told Channel 5’s Jeremy Vine show she was “really hurt” and “shocked” that the segment was broadcast following her saying that she would “rather be judged or asked” about her work than body.

She also said: “Do you know this is the sort of talk that you worry that men have about you when you’re not in the room?
There is always sort of a worry in the back of your mind which is: ‘Are people actually interested in what I’m saying or what I’m doing?’ Or are they just looking at me ... physically, and I think that that clip proves that there are some men who are.”
in order to be old & wise, you must first be young & stupid. (I'm still working on that.)
Amuses me when people use that old Free Speech justification...

As my Dad use to say
Freedom of speech does not mean freedom from consequences...
This world would be a perfect place if it wasn't for the people.

Sharesies | Buy Crypto | Surfshark VPN | Cloud Backup
(28-09-2023, 03:04 PM)king1 Wrote: Amuses me when people use that old Free Speech justification...

As my Dad use to say
Freedom of speech does not mean freedom from consequences...

I don't believe consequences are permitted any longer. Children are instructed at school as to their rights. Apparently responsibilities left on the same steamer as the antiquated concept of consequences. Some of the mischievous little devils still cling to the discredited concepts they learned at home but rest easy, the system will drum it out of them.
Entropy is not what
it used to be.
Sometimes attention seeking is its own reward.
I was sad when Laurence Fox turned into a cooker.   I loved him in Inspector Lewis and had intended to rewatch it, but I couldn't bear to look at him now.