Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
My 30 year old 386 is up and running!
Brings back those 90s vibes!
I built this to be the ultimate 386 dream machine of the period.
Specs:
ASUS ISA-386U3
128KB cache
CD ROM
3.5 and 5.25 floppy drives
500MB HDD
16MB RAM
IIT math co processor
AMD 386 DX-40
Western digital VGA graphics card with 1MB video memory
I've also added a CF card slot on the IDE to allow the ease of transferring data.

Secret Agent!

Have you played the remastered version?
(01-10-2023, 10:59 AM)yousnoozeyoulose Wrote: Secret Agent!

Not yet, but it looks cool.
Even has a level editor to create custom levels!
Literally every 90s PC had all these Apogee games pre-installed with the shareware versions.
I wonder what this computer would have cost back at the time?
Running Windows 11 I hope ;-)
Good luck trying to run win11 on that!
Ive got a ton of 386 and 486 boards here, but im short of AT style cases to put some builds together.
Wish i kept more of this stuff back in the day instead of throwing it all out!
Maybe you need to talk to this guy at Retro Recall https://www.youtube.com/@Karataus So great restoration videos there.
Not quite 30 years old but I just fired up my old netbook, last used in 2015. I keep it on the camper as a spare in case my current laptop ever fails while we're on the road and I need to download photos. It's stored away well out of sight and gets totally forgotten so I thought I'd better check that it does still work. Both batteries were at 0% but both charged up happily and everything still works. Yay! It can go away again now, but I think I should check it more often!
Im tempted to start up a retro computing youtube channel if i get enough spares, probably will dedicate to building retro systems from old parts.
just in case i have some old memory sticks and cpu's here if you're looking for anything in particular. not sure what exactly but the memory was pre ddr1 and the cpus were mainly old AMDs iirc. might have to dig them out and have a look
This world would be a perfect place if it wasn't for the people.

Sharesies | Buy Crypto | Surfshark VPN | Cloud Backup
(18-10-2023, 10:25 AM)nzoomed Wrote: Im tempted to start up a retro computing youtube channel if i get enough spares, probably will dedicate to building retro systems from old parts.

Do you watch tipshop on TM? They have a good variety of stuff. I have no interest in the old RAM or motherboards but what they lump into job lots seems to always get sold.
(18-10-2023, 10:53 AM)king1 Wrote: just in case i have some old memory sticks and cpu's here if you're looking for anything in particular. not sure what exactly but the memory was pre ddr1 and the cpus were mainly old AMDs iirc.  might have to dig them out and have a look
Most stuff im after is anything up to socket 7 era so mostly 30 pin and 72min FastPage or EDO SIMM memory and the odd bit of SDRAM.
The one thing im short of is AT desktop cases, I have a bunch of motherboards and most other parts, but no cases to build a system with.

(18-10-2023, 10:58 AM)SueDonim Wrote:
(18-10-2023, 10:25 AM)nzoomed Wrote: Im tempted to start up a retro computing youtube channel if i get enough spares, probably will dedicate to building retro systems from old parts.

Do you watch tipshop on TM? They have a good variety of stuff. I have no interest in the old RAM or motherboards but what they lump into job lots seems to always get sold.
Never looked on that seller, but there is the odd computer recycler listing the odd thing on there.

I would enjoy it.

(01-10-2023, 09:40 AM)nzoomed Wrote: Brings back those 90s vibes!
I built this to be the ultimate 386 dream machine of the period.
Specs:
ASUS ISA-386U3
128KB cache
CD ROM
3.5 and 5.25 floppy drives
500MB HDD
16MB RAM
IIT math co processor
AMD 386 DX-40
Western digital VGA graphics card with 1MB video memory
I've also added a CF card slot on the IDE to allow the ease of transferring data.

Heart  That def would have been top of the line to drool over. Nice with the addition of the CF reader.
I used to get old PC's from the auction that would have these Apogee games on. Lots of fun for me and the kids.
I have a couple of old AT power supplies, and a 286 board. These boards would still go in a tower case, or no?
Gotta watch the batteries don't leak on these boards.
(01-10-2023, 06:48 PM)nzoomed Wrote:
(01-10-2023, 10:59 AM)yousnoozeyoulose Wrote: Secret Agent!

Not yet, but it looks cool.
Literally every 90s PC had all these Apogee games pre-installed with the shareware versions.
My first computer cost me $1500. They threw in a Sony Walkman, it was 1987...  Big Grin
(03-03-2024, 04:09 PM)Oh_hunnihunni Wrote: I wonder what this computer would have cost back at the time?
My first computer cost me $1500. They threw in a Sony Walkman, it was 1987...  Big Grin
[/quote]

Back when We had Windows 98, Brought an external HP CD Writer ( no such thing as DVD then) A Whole 2 speed -- WOW. Cost just over $1000. Sad

When they were available I brought a box of Samsung  Internal CD Writers, IDE -- Got 1 Brand new left, not much use for anything.

DVD Writers -- Can pick them up new for around $30 Now.
Upgrades = Old bugs replaced with new Bugs.
(03-03-2024, 04:09 PM)Oh_hunnihunni Wrote:
(01-10-2023, 06:48 PM)nzoomed Wrote: Not yet, but it looks cool.

This one would have been probably worth about $3k at the time
The silly thing was when we moved to Auckland and I had a brand new baby my retired Dad borrowed the computer and from then on no one could reach us by phone, lol...
Lol, sounds like he was hogging the line on the dial up?
I've been going through boxes of old parts and I've got enough stuff to build a few retro builds, only problem is I don't have any AT cases to put everything into!