Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Candidate's home broken into, vandalised
The election is bringing out the worst in some on the right; they don't seem to cope very well with womenin positions of authority unless those women are on the right politically.

https://www.rnz.co.nz/news/national/4990...eft-behind

"The home of Te Pāti Māori candidate Hana-Rāwhiti Maipi-Clarke was entered, vandalised, and a threatening letter left behind this week.

The attack was premeditated, targeted and politically motivated, the candidate for Hauraki-Waikato said.
The party issued a statement saying it was the third incident to take place at Maipi-Clarke's home this week.

When our billboards are vandalised, and when our candidates are verbally assaulted, it is not an attack on them as individuals or us as a political party. It is an attack on what we represent: our whakapapa, our culture, and the dreams of our tūpuna and mokopuna," the party said.
"Hana is our mokopuna, and no mokopuna should ever be treated this way."

The danger of the campaign trail had increased Maipi-Clarke said, and she blamed that on race baiting and fearmongering from right wing parties.
Speaking during the Hauraki-Waikato candidates' debate on The Hui, Maipi-Clarke addressed the attackers.

"This is my message: To the people who ram raided my house, who came into my house and threatened me. To the people who came and vandalised my fence - don't be scared, because the Kōhanga Reo generation are here, and we have a huge movement and a huge wave of us coming through," she said.
"I am not scared… I am here to be a light and a māramatanga to us that we belong in these places."
A spokesperson for Te Pāti Māori said the incident was thought to be the first time a politician's home had been attacked in this way.”

And then there was the Labour candidate who was slapped by a man who disagreed with her.

"A Labour candidate says she was slapped by an aggressive member of the public while at a local election debate this week.
Angela Roberts, a candidate for Taranaki-King Country, took to social media on Friday to inform her followers of an incident that happened on Tuesday.
Roberts said she was at a campaign debate at her local Rotary Club in Inglewood.
Following the debate, Roberts said she was having a discussion with a "tall man" about education policy and other things when "aggressive finger pointing started".
"Then things took a turn for the worse," she said. He grabbed her shoulders and shook her - then slapped her.

"He grabbed my shoulders and shook me in order to emphasise the point he was making. Then he slapped my cheeks with both hands.

"At this point I walked away and gathered my things and he left. Others checked that I was okay. I said that I was and left for home."

Explaining further to RNZ, she said: "We had a really lively debate, really robust. Had a cup of tea afterwards as usual, had a further chat to two or three people about other things, and then this gentleman started ... explaining politics to me, and I answered his questions... but then he grabbed my shoulders and shook me - he was quite a tall guy - and I don't remember what he said but it was something about losing the election and this is why.

"Then he slapped my cheeks with both his hands like someone putting on aftershave and said something along the lines of 'Oh well, enjoy being in opposition'. At that point I stepped away because I did not need to be manhandled and I assume he left at that point."

Roberts said she thought that would be the end of it, but after going home and thinking about, and discussing it with her family, realised it was important to take a stand and call out the man's aggression.

"Manhandling candidates on the campaign trail is completely unacceptable."

Dodgy
in order to be old & wise, you must first be young & stupid. (I'm still working on that.)
And more... apparently Sean Plunket has taken to twitter to ridicule the te pati Maori candidate who had a home invasion this past week or so, calling her out for lying...

The bullying continues.
(02-10-2023, 11:13 AM)Oh_hunnihunni Wrote: And more... apparently Sean Plunket has taken to twitter to ridicule the te pati Maori candidate who had a home invasion this past week or so, calling her out for lying...

The bullying continues.

Good grief - what a nasty bit of work he is to make such a claim. Dodgy
in order to be old & wise, you must first be young & stupid. (I'm still working on that.)
While any abuse of any candidate is wrong I found some of the wording around the story later to be interesting. Suddenly a burglary became a home invasion and a ram raid.
(02-10-2023, 05:50 PM)Wainuiguy Wrote: While any abuse of any candidate is wrong I found some of the wording around the story later to be interesting.  Suddenly a burglary became a home invasion and  a ram raid.

Wouldn't you need to take that up with whoever wrote the articles though...
There was more detail on a FB post I saw, more than one break in etc. Detail will be gone for the headline though, that's what we want, breaking news, not what actually happened.
In and out of jobs, running free
Waging war with society
(02-10-2023, 05:50 PM)Wainuiguy Wrote: While any abuse of any candidate is wrong I found some of the wording around the story later to be interesting.  Suddenly a burglary became a home invasion and  a ram raid.

Hmmmm, do you blame media for that or the victim?
(02-10-2023, 06:59 PM)Oh_hunnihunni Wrote:

It's the victims fault, obviously, for being female and Maori, and for believing she could run the country as well as a stale pale male...
I do have other cameras!
(02-10-2023, 06:59 PM)Oh_hunnihunni Wrote:

Was simply making the comment.  I was always under the impression fort there to be a ram raid a vehicle is involved in smashing into the building.  A home invasion occurs when someone is in the house at the time of the break in.

(03-10-2023, 06:24 AM)Praktica Wrote:
(02-10-2023, 06:59 PM)Oh_hunnihunni Wrote: Hmmmm, do you blame media for that or the victim?

It's the victims fault, obviously, for being female and Maori, and for believing she could run the country as well as a stale pale male...

You're the one making those comments not me.
Accepting for now that it was a targeted, politically motivated attack (it may well have been, but it also wouldn't at all surprise me if a "regular" burglary has been embellished for political gain), what evidence is there that her being Maori and/or female is at all relevant to the attack?

How is it that when a white, male politician is attacked (which happens often enough), it is because the attacker disagreed with that politician's views on something, whereas an attack on a female Maori (or another non-European ethnicity) is because of sexism/racism?
(03-10-2023, 12:10 PM)dken31 Wrote: Accepting for now that it was a targeted, politically motivated attack (it may well have been, but it also wouldn't at all surprise me if a "regular" burglary has been embellished for political gain), what evidence is there that her being Maori and/or female is at all relevant to the attack?

How is it that when a white, male politician is attacked (which happens often enough), it is because the attacker disagreed with that politician's views on something, whereas an attack on a female Maori (or another non-European ethnicity) is because of sexism/racism?

Police are now involved with the incident where a female Labour candidate was slapped.

https://www.1news.co.nz/2023/09/30/polic...-at-event/

As to this one, probably the comments at the time make it clear.

https://www.1news.co.nz/2023/09/30/racia...ates-home/

"The father of Te Pāti Māori candidate Hana-Rawhiti Maipi-Clarke said that a man yelled racial slurs while attempting to break down a fence at their family home in the early hours of yesterday morning.
Potaka Maipi said that there have been three other recent incidents at the house: two break-ins while the family was out and a threatening letter left in the mailbox.

"The first time we were shocked, the second time we thought ‘what the hell is going on’, by the fourth time we’d had enough," he said.
"We've spoken to the police, the police said this is the first time they've ever seen anything like it. We should have come to them earlier."

He believes the attacks are coming from those who are angry his daughter is standing up against poverty and racism.

"For a young woman to call that out, some people are finding it highly offensive, like 'how dare you challenge me?'"
Te Pāti Māori are calling it a 'politically motivated attack'.

"To our knowledge, this is the first time in our history that a politician’s home and personal property has been invaded to this extent.

Co-leader Debbie Ngarewa-Packer said that the detail of the threats was 'extremely political' and 'extremely anti-Māori political'.
"This has really crossed a line, and you don't even have to support our politics."
Ngarewa-Packer said that Te Pāti Māori is appealing to leaders to get back on track with discussions about policy.
"Make it less about race."
Ngarewa-Packer said that Te Pāti Māori is appealing to leaders to get back on track with discussions about policy.

How can she say that with a straight face?! Essentially every aspect of Te Pāti Māori is about race, every comment that Ngarewa-Packer and Waititi makes about anything is about race. Until fairly recently, their own website claimed that Maori were "genetically superior".

All that being true, two wrongs don't make a right, i.e. Te Pāti Māori's own racism doesn't justify racism in return, so there is no justification for a racially charged attack on any of their candidates.
(03-10-2023, 03:51 PM)dken31 Wrote: Ngarewa-Packer said that Te Pāti Māori is appealing to leaders to get back on track with discussions about policy.

How can she say that with a straight face?!  Essentially every aspect of Te Pāti Māori is about race, every comment that Ngarewa-Packer and Waititi makes about anything is about race.  Until fairly recently, their own website claimed that Maori were "genetically superior".

All that being true, two wrongs don't make a right, i.e. Te Pāti Māori's own racism doesn't justify racism in return, so there is no justification for a racially charged attack on any of their candidates.

Give us some examples of "Te Pāti Māori's own racism".
I do have other cameras!
(03-10-2023, 03:59 PM)Praktica Wrote:
(03-10-2023, 03:51 PM)dken31 Wrote: Ngarewa-Packer said that Te Pāti Māori is appealing to leaders to get back on track with discussions about policy.

How can she say that with a straight face?!  Essentially every aspect of Te Pāti Māori is about race, every comment that Ngarewa-Packer and Waititi makes about anything is about race.  Until fairly recently, their own website claimed that Maori were "genetically superior".

Give us some examples of "Te Pāti Māori's own racism".

Yes, that would be useful. Smile
https://www.nzherald.co.nz/kahu/election...1696317641

Interesting that Nanaia also calls out Maori misogynism...
(03-10-2023, 03:59 PM)Praktica Wrote: Give us some examples of "Te Pāti Māori's own racism".

Well their claim that Maori are genetically superior is one such glaring example. If National claimed that Europeans were genetically superior to Maori, I'm sure you'd strongly object (and rightfully so, too).  They eventually removed that from their website, however their website is still full of overt racism.

And it turns out that I was wise to initially be open minded re. the truth of what actually happened at/near by Maipi-Clarke's house as it would appear that Te Pati Maori were indeed twisting the truth for political gain: 
  http://www.stuff.co.nz/national/politics...pp-android
(05-10-2023, 08:09 PM)dken31 Wrote:
(03-10-2023, 03:59 PM)Praktica Wrote: Give us some examples of "Te Pāti Māori's own racism".

Well their claim that Maori are genetically superior is one such glaring example. If National claimed that Europeans were genetically superior to Maori, I'm sure you'd strongly object (and rightfully so, too).  They eventually removed that from their website, however their website is still full of overt racism.

And it turns out that I was wise to initially be open minded re. the truth of what actually happened at/near by Maipi-Clarke's house as it would appear that Te Pati Maori were indeed twisting the truth for political gain: 

You say they claim " Maori are genetically superior". Where did this come from?
I do have other cameras!
(06-10-2023, 08:02 AM)Praktica Wrote:
(05-10-2023, 08:09 PM)dken31 Wrote: Well their claim that Maori are genetically superior is one such glaring example. If National claimed that Europeans were genetically superior to Maori, I'm sure you'd strongly object (and rightfully so, too).  They eventually removed that from their website, however their website is still full of overt racism.

https://www.wsws.org/en/articles/2023/09...u-s13.html
(06-10-2023, 08:02 AM)Praktica Wrote:
(05-10-2023, 08:09 PM)dken31 Wrote: Well their claim that Maori are genetically superior is one such glaring example. If National claimed that Europeans were genetically superior to Maori, I'm sure you'd strongly object (and rightfully so, too).  They eventually removed that from their website, however their website is still full of overt racism.

probably from this statement
https://www.scoop.co.nz/stories/PA2209/S...t-stop.htm

Not sure i would call it racism given the context, supposedly uplifting for maori and part of their sports policy - moreso a bit of exuberance perhaps
This world would be a perfect place if it wasn't for the people.

Sharesies | Buy Crypto | Surfshark VPN | Cloud Backup
(06-10-2023, 08:10 AM)king1 Wrote:
(06-10-2023, 08:02 AM)Praktica Wrote: You say they claim " Maori are genetically superior". Where did this come from?
probably from this statement
https://www.scoop.co.nz/stories/PA2209/S...t-stop.htm

Not sure i would call it racism given the context, supposedly uplifting for maori and part of their sports policy - moreso a bit of exuberance perhaps

Interesting how some so easily dismiss racist comments but would be horrified if a similar statement was said by a European descended person.......

Maori so genetically superior they were still using stone age tools, didn't have the wheel and considered neighboring tribes excellent mains.