Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Here's one way to reduce traffic congestion.
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2023/o...ertificate
I do have other cameras!
That could work, providing there's a really good public transport system - or lots of bicycles or similar.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LGDSkFQEOjo
in order to be old & wise, you must first be young & stupid. (I'm still working on that.)
(05-10-2023, 02:33 PM)Lilith7 Wrote: That could work, providing there's a really good public transport system - or lots of bicycles or similar.

Singapore has an outstanding public transport system. Their rapid transit light rail system which is very cheap to travel on and it has all been built since the late 1980s including a lot of underground routes. Auckland could take a lesson from this but the cost would meet resistance.
(05-10-2023, 05:34 PM)harm_less Wrote:
(05-10-2023, 02:33 PM)Lilith7 Wrote: That could work, providing there's a really good public transport system - or lots of bicycles or similar.

Singapore has an outstanding public transport system. Their rapid transit light rail system which is very cheap to travel on and it has all been built since the late 1980s including a lot of underground routes. Auckland could take a lesson from this but the cost would meet resistance.

As an ex Aucklander, albeit, many years ago, that statement is to true.  I know it's a many said thing, but why, oh why, didn't they do what Robbie wanted?
Corgi Wan Kenobi is watching you!
(05-10-2023, 05:45 PM)Kenj Wrote:
(05-10-2023, 05:34 PM)harm_less Wrote: Singapore has an outstanding public transport system. Their rapid transit light rail system which is very cheap to travel on and it has all been built since the late 1980s including a lot of underground routes. Auckland could take a lesson from this but the cost would meet resistance.

As an ex Aucklander, albeit, many years ago, that statement is to true.  I know it's a many said thing, but why, oh why, didn't they do what Robbie wanted?

I bet he's shouting 'Told you so!' very loudly, wherever he is.. Rolleyes Big Grin
in order to be old & wise, you must first be young & stupid. (I'm still working on that.)
Singapore population is a bit more than all of NZ fit into a largely flat land mass 1/7 the size of Auckland. So looking at their public transport systems and saying Auckland should copy Singapore isn't really fair. Auckland's long, thin, hilly layout and relatively sparse population makes good economical public transport next to impossible.
(05-10-2023, 06:32 PM)dken31 Wrote: Singapore population is a bit more than all of NZ fit into a largely flat land mass 1/7 the size of Auckland. So looking at their public transport systems and saying Auckland should copy Singapore isn't really fair.  Auckland's long, thin, hilly layout and relatively sparse population makes good economical public transport next to impossible.

I understand that as I was living there to the age of 22. We had a darn good tram system that was ripped up. A couple of the reasons from memory was that the traffic was held up when the tram stopped, motorbikes slid in the tracks and the last one I remember was that the bus that was the answer to tram wasn't tied to the tracks. Three of the most stupid reasons ever.

Always seemed to be protesting about rates. Would have had a lot less problems had they started in the 50's instead of 60 years later.

I don't live there now, but it sure was a great place to grow up as a Westie kid in the 40's to 60's. Big Grin Cool
Corgi Wan Kenobi is watching you!
I'm not in favour of any entitlement being bought or sold. It automatically cuts out a big proportion of the population who cannot afford it.

Like owning your own home...

(05-10-2023, 07:15 PM)Kenj Wrote:
(05-10-2023, 06:32 PM)dken31 Wrote: Singapore population is a bit more than all of NZ fit into a largely flat land mass 1/7 the size of Auckland. So looking at their public transport systems and saying Auckland should copy Singapore isn't really fair.  Auckland's long, thin, hilly layout and relatively sparse population makes good economical public transport next to impossible.

I understand that as I was living there to the age of 22. We had a darn good tram system that was ripped up. A couple of the reasons from memory was that the traffic was held up when the tram stopped, motorbikes slid in the tracks and the last one I remember was that the bus that was the answer to tram wasn't tied to the tracks. Three of the most stupid reasons ever.

Always seemed to be protesting about rates. Would have had a lot less problems had they started in the 50's instead of 60 years later.

I don't live there now, but it sure was a great place to grow up as a Westie kid in the 40's to 60's. Big Grin Cool

Robbie was right. He wanted light rail back then...

Get used to the idea - in the foreseeable future using cars will be next to impossible. Then people will whine about the huge cost of providing alternatives, in spite of opposing them for decades...
I do have other cameras!
They can get fucked if they ever try to implement that here.
The Greens want to implement a congestion charge.
One more reason not to vote green.
Unapologetic NZ first voter, white cis male, climate change skeptic.
(06-10-2023, 10:00 AM)C_T_Russell Wrote: They can get fucked if they ever try to implement that here.

A petrol head, as well as a believer of bullshit?
I do have other cameras!
(06-10-2023, 10:00 AM)C_T_Russell Wrote: They can get fucked if they ever try to implement that here.
Congestion charges are more a Council initiative than governmental. If you're happy to wear the rates increases required to upgrade urban roading infrastructure rather than have measures implemented to mitigate traffic volumes that's your imperative I guess.