Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Why don't they call a spade a spade?
There was a story on the news tonight about cameras in the toilets. But why does TVNZ have to copy the Ýanks? Why do they call it a bathroom? It is not a bathroom, it is a toilet! They are talking more like the Yanks every day.
Let's keep it Kiwi. Call it like what it Is - a toilet.
The yanks have some strange attitudes on personal things. Caught one of those reality shows with people running around naked in the wild a few nights back. In the brief period we watched it before finding something worthwhile and before any accents gave it away I realised it was the American version as all the bums and privates were blurred out. The UK version is far more revealing.

The yanks censor the crap out of nudity and bad language but they're far more relaxed about violence. Sort of explains a few of their societal problems IMO.
(11-10-2023, 05:43 PM)Roscoe Wrote: There was a story on the news tonight about cameras in the toilets. But why does TVNZ have to copy the Ýanks? Why do they call it a bathroom? It is not a bathroom, it is a toilet! They are talking more like the Yanks every day.

That annoys me as well, & it seems to be getting worse too.
in order to be old & wise, you must first be young & stupid. (I'm still working on that.)
My grandfather was a wordsmith. He used to 'call a spade a bloody shovel'.

It doesn't matter what the words are, it is the communicating that is important.
(11-10-2023, 06:37 PM)Oh_hunnihunni Wrote: My grandfather was a wordsmith. He used to 'call a spade a bloody shovel'.

It doesn't matter what the words are, it is the communicating that is important.

So you are quite happy to be thought of someone who copys the Yanks? What is the matter? Would you rather be a sick Yank than a Kiwi? Shame on you!
It DOES MATTER what the words are! I suppose you talk like the Yanks as well. Disgusting! 
But perhaps it does not matter to you. You are obviously not a true blue Kiwi.
Ha. Born and bred here to a second generation kiwi and a Scottish soldier who saw active service for this country. My kiwi creds are impeccable, and definitely not a blue anything you silly sausage.

If you think how we spell a word, or which one we use is more important than communicating, then you are in ignorance of the reason we invented words in the first place.

[Removed: Rule 2J]
(14-10-2023, 02:03 PM)Oh_hunnihunni Wrote: Ha. Born and bred here to a second generation kiwi and a Scottish soldier who saw active service for this country. My kiwi creds are impeccable, and definitely not a blue anything you silly sausage.

If you think how we spell a word, or which one we use is more important than communicating, then you are in ignorance of the reason we invented words in the first place.

So you have no standards, obviously.

And all you can add to the discussion is name calling. That just shows your lack of intelligence if that is all you can think of.
(14-10-2023, 02:03 PM)Oh_hunnihunni Wrote: Ha. Born and bred here to a second generation kiwi and a Scottish soldier who saw active service for this country. My kiwi creds are impeccable, and definitely not a blue anything you silly sausage.

Yes.  And also, it can be quite humbling to learn the origins of words and expressions that we look down on for various reasons ("gotten" was one of my bêtes noires until I learned that it is of English origin and is perfectly correct in the right context).

As for "bathroom" as a euphemism for lavatory,  I agree that it is excessively genteel but "toilet" used to be regarded as a genteelism too but these days it is regarded as normal.
(14-10-2023, 03:28 PM)Roscoe Wrote:

So you have no standards, obviously.

And all you can add to the discussion is name calling. That just shows your lack of intelligence if that is all you can think of.

Oh read your own posts. You started it.

(14-10-2023, 04:23 PM)Olive Wrote:

Yes.  And also, it can be quite humbling to learn the origins of words and expressions that we look down on for various reasons ("gotten" was one of my bêtes noires until I learned that it is of English origin and is perfectly correct in the right context).

As for "bathroom" as a euphemism for lavatory,  I agree that it is excessively genteel but "toilet" used to be regarded as a genteelism too but these days it is regarded as normal.

I think critiquing an entire population on the basis of the fact they don't use the same words as we do is an example of something, but for the life of me I just can't think of an appropriate term...
"I think critiquing an entire population on the basis of the fact they don't use the same words as we do is an example of something, but for the life of me I just can't think of an appropriate term..."

I'm sure you can think of plenty but politeness is holding you back...

Xenophobia.  Small mindedness.  Ignorance/poor education.   Contrarianism.

That's just a few while I await the election coverage.
(14-10-2023, 05:49 PM)Olive Wrote: "I think critiquing an entire population on the basis of the fact they don't use the same words as we do is an example of something, but for the life of me I just can't think of an appropriate term..."

If we're talking small mindedness the US is the last remaining bastion against metrication of the various measuring modalities, and they have some truly bizarre and, unsurprisingly, political excuses for not embracing the metric system.
(14-10-2023, 03:28 PM)Roscoe Wrote: So you have no standards, obviously.

Tongue  Big Grin   Tongue    If you consider what you have to be "standards" perhaps a more appropriate word might be "Bollards", or something sounding vaguely similar?

(However, you must be credited with making Snollygosters appear to be relatively erudite persons of rare integrity and intellectual fortitude; a mighty task indeed.)

BTW, a spade is no substitute for a Steel tipped, hickory handled, earth conveyor, manually powered.
Entropy is not what
it used to be.
(14-10-2023, 05:49 PM)Olive Wrote: "I think critiquing an entire population on the basis of the fact they don't use the same words as we do is an example of something, but for the life of me I just can't think of an appropriate term..."

Appropriate because I don't want to be smacked with the royal sceptre again. I'm pretty sure - from the tingle it gave me - he has electrified it.

Big Grin
(14-10-2023, 06:19 PM)R2x1 Wrote:
(14-10-2023, 03:28 PM)Roscoe Wrote: So you have no standards, obviously.

Tongue  Big Grin   Tongue    If you consider what you have to be "standards" perhaps a more appropriate word might be "Bollards", or something sounding vaguely similar?

(However, you must be credited with making Snollygosters appear to be relatively erudite persons of rare integrity and intellectual fortitude; a mighty task indeed.)

BTW, a spade is no substitute for a Steel tipped, hickory handled, earth conveyor, manually powered.

What an interesting word, Bollards is - reminds of some other word, can't quite remember. Rolleyes
in order to be old & wise, you must first be young & stupid. (I'm still working on that.)
(11-10-2023, 06:02 PM)harm_less Wrote: The yanks have some strange attitudes on personal things. Caught one of those reality shows with people running around naked in the wild a few nights back. In the brief period we watched it before finding something worthwhile and before any accents gave it away I realised it was the American version as all the bums and privates were blurred out. The UK version is far more revealing.

The yanks censor the crap out of nudity and bad language but they're far more relaxed about violence. Sort of explains a few of their societal problems IMO.

A bit of violence never hurt anyone.
(11-10-2023, 05:43 PM)Roscoe Wrote: There was a story on the news tonight about cameras in the toilets. But why does TVNZ have to copy the Ýanks? Why do they call it a bathroom? It is not a bathroom, it is a toilet! They are talking more like the Yanks every day.

Let's call them Americans and ourselves New Zealanders  Big Grin
We could just remember they are all people. Like us, only with some slight differences. And worse leaders, lol...
(15-10-2023, 12:58 PM)Oh_hunnihunni Wrote: We could just remember they are all people. Like us, only with some slight differences. And worse leaders, lol...

Yep you do have to feel sorry for them when their leaders are so dire.
When it comes to describing other leaders, it may be wise to remember how much glass we have in our particular castle.
Entropy is not what
it used to be.
Our lot are pretty mild in comparison though.