Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
James Shaw says he will pack his bags for Australia
If a NZF or ACT MP gets a deputy PM position.
Very likely scenario given the way polls are heading.
Let's hold him to his word.
Unapologetic NZ first voter, white cis male, climate change skeptic.
(12-10-2023, 07:01 PM)C_T_Russell Wrote: If a NZF or ACT MP gets a deputy PM position.
No. Lets make sure he doesn't have to.
(12-10-2023, 08:25 PM)harm_less Wrote:
(12-10-2023, 07:01 PM)C_T_Russell Wrote: If a NZF or ACT MP gets a deputy PM position.
No. Lets make sure he doesn't have to.

That would make more sense.Smile
in order to be old & wise, you must first be young & stupid. (I'm still working on that.)
(13-10-2023, 10:39 AM)Lilith7 Wrote:
(12-10-2023, 08:25 PM)harm_less Wrote: No. Lets make sure he doesn't have to.

Based on present results- bye James dont let the door hit you on the way out.
(14-10-2023, 07:20 PM)Wainuiguy Wrote:
(13-10-2023, 10:39 AM)Lilith7 Wrote: That would make more sense.Smile

Based on present results- bye James dont let the door hit you on the way out.

NZ will be better off without him, I wonder how he will be received in Australia?
Unapologetic NZ first voter, white cis male, climate change skeptic.
(14-10-2023, 07:27 PM)C_T_Russell Wrote:
(14-10-2023, 07:20 PM)Wainuiguy Wrote: Based on present results- bye James dont let the door hit you on the way out.

NZ will be better off without him, I wonder how he will be received in Australia?
Based on the OP that would require Luxon agreeing to let Seymour have the #2 spot. I don't think he is stupid enough to allow that much compromise to his leadership. I may be wrong.
(14-10-2023, 07:44 PM)harm_less Wrote:
(14-10-2023, 07:27 PM)C_T_Russell Wrote: NZ will be better off without him, I wonder how he will be received in Australia?
Based on the OP that would require Luxon agreeing to let Seymour have the #2 spot. I don't think he is stupid enough to allow that much compromise to his leadership. I may be wrong.

In that situation Willis might be a dangerous enemy.
(14-10-2023, 08:52 PM)Oh_hunnihunni Wrote:
(14-10-2023, 07:44 PM)harm_less Wrote: Based on the OP that would require Luxon agreeing to let Seymour have the #2 spot. I don't think he is stupid enough to allow that much compromise to his leadership. I may be wrong.

Like, put Willis and Seymour in a room and see who survives?
With the large percentage of votes that National has, I doubt Luxon would be prepared to hand that role to another party.
I think the tricky bit for luxon will be if Winston is required in the mix after the special votes are counted.
(14-10-2023, 08:52 PM)Oh_hunnihunni Wrote:
(14-10-2023, 07:44 PM)harm_less Wrote: Based on the OP that would require Luxon agreeing to let Seymour have the #2 spot. I don't think he is stupid enough to allow that much compromise to his leadership. I may be wrong.

Indeed - there's a strong similarity to Ruth Richardson about her, & most of us will recall the damage she did.

(15-10-2023, 09:00 AM)nzoomed Wrote: With the large percentage of votes that National has, I doubt Luxon would be prepared to hand that role to another party.
I think the tricky bit for luxon will be if Winston is required in the mix after the special votes are counted.

Fingers crossed Winnie won't be needed.
in order to be old & wise, you must first be young & stupid. (I'm still working on that.)
There were large numbers of professional people ready to head for Australia if Labour had got in. We need them much more than we need James Shaw. We can't expect the new government to fix everything in 5 minutes, but hopefully our workforce will benefit enough from early incremental changes to reverse the offshore flow.
I think the Greens need James Shaw. And maybe we do too, seeing he has been the most active politician on the issue of climate change. An issue that sadly is apparently not seriously on any blue agenda, beyond a bit of lip service.
(15-10-2023, 12:56 PM)Oh_hunnihunni Wrote: I think the Greens need James Shaw. And maybe we do too, seeing he has been the most active politician on the issue of climate change. An issue that sadly is apparently not seriously on any blue agenda, beyond a bit of lip service.
James also performed very well in the debates he participated in. His levelheadedness, degree of knowledge, numerical skills and ability to see issues from the widest perspective were impressive. The Greens fully costed and economically sound financial/tax policy was a great contrast to Luxon's 'rocksolid' and 'trust me' promissory approach.

I expect he will provide some serious criticism of our incoming government from the opposition benches, with a good number of Green MPs to help bear the load that being the 'party of environmental conscience' will entail.
(15-10-2023, 12:56 PM)Oh_hunnihunni Wrote: I think the Greens need James Shaw. And maybe we do too, seeing he has been the most active politician on the issue of climate change. An issue that sadly is apparently not seriously on any blue agenda, beyond a bit of lip service.

There's also the chance that it will go backwards too, & any bit of progress previously may be for nothing.
(13-10-2023, 10:39 AM)Lilith7 Wrote:
(12-10-2023, 08:25 PM)harm_less Wrote: No. Lets make sure he doesn't have to.

Have sense and politics ever meshed? Don't complements cancel each other leaving nothing? (AKA status quo.)

Wink
Entropy is not what
it used to be.
(16-10-2023, 07:58 AM)R2x1 Wrote:
(13-10-2023, 10:39 AM)Lilith7 Wrote: That would make more sense.Smile

Have sense and politics ever meshed? Don't complements cancel each other leaving nothing? (AKA status quo.)

Wink

Big Grin Big Grin