Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Australia votes today
That lot over the dtich vote today on whether or not  to establish an Indigenous voice to parliament. Good luck, Australia.

https://www.9news.com.au/national/voice-...411eb9df76

"But the proportion of undecided voters, believed to be around the 10-15 per cent range but as high as a quarter in some surveys, has the Yes camp hopeful the referendum will succeed.

Speaking yesterday, Albanese urged Australians to embrace what he described as a once-in-a-generation opportunity to improve the lives of Indigenous Australians.

"This is not my campaign. This is a request from the First Australians made in 2017 at Uluru, after years of consultation with thousands of Indigenous Australians across hundreds of meetings, across many years," he said.[i]Today[/i]."
in order to be old & wise, you must first be young & stupid. (I'm still working on that.)
Hard to imagine a No vote...but they are Australians.
In and out of jobs, running free
Waging war with society
No treaty... Big mistake.
Funny coincidence that it's the same day as our election. Looks like their polls are suggesting a strong chance of the no vote winning.
Unapologetic NZ first voter, white cis male, climate change skeptic.
Take a step back and think in 2023 we need a vote to determine an Aborigine is a Human Being

Best of luck Yes
Well, at least we didn't vote as a nation to keep our first people without a voice.

How frustrating that must be for Australians with a conscience.
congratulations to the Aussies for rejecting segregation and race politics.
(15-10-2023, 02:18 AM)Oh_hunnihunni Wrote: Well, at least we didn't vote as a nation to keep our first people without a voice.

How frustrating that must be for Australians with a conscience.

Seems from what I have read the Yes side just didn't sell it well enough and allowed the No side to sell doubt as to possible implications.

Also historically Australia doesn't make changes to their constitution often, much like the US in that regard.
Allowed?

When we have a mis and disinformation salesman making posts in here are we 'allowing' that dishonesty, or is that something else?

I don't think Australia's long standing racism is the fault of those who fight against it. Let's put the responsibility where it belongs.
(15-10-2023, 08:24 AM)Oh_hunnihunni Wrote: Allowed?

When we have a mis and disinformation salesman making posts in here are we 'allowing' that dishonesty, or is that something else?

I don't think Australia's long standing racism is the fault of those who fight against it. Let's put the responsibility where it belongs.
A large construction project I was involved in about 40 years ago included Australian and South African contractors. When site office conversation includes South Africans claiming Aussies are racists it seems to be a wake up call in regard to their attitudes and actions against aboriginals.
Once again, look at the history. Our two nations are very different because of the way we came to be. It is a very real reminder that our actions, as individuals, as families, as communities, as governments - have consequences far beyong their immediate effect. For generation upon generation in some cases.
What a damned shame, they've missed a chance to start improving things even just a tiny bit & who knows if that chance will ever come again.
in order to be old & wise, you must first be young & stupid. (I'm still working on that.)
I didn't see nor seek out much about it but did note the item on the TV news a few nights ago that showed someone from an Aboriginal rights group criticising it so if even they didn't feel it was the right path then it sounds like a good thing that it wasn't passed. A need for "something" doesn't mean that "anything" should be accepted, especially when it would be set in concrete for the long term.
It would have been a tiny start, a move in the right direction - & after several centuries it doesn't seem premature.
(15-10-2023, 09:59 AM)Lilith7 Wrote: It would have been a tiny start, a move in the right direction - & after several centuries it doesn't seem premature.

A tiny start in the right direction could be a millstone for the next several centuries. Better to take the time to get it right. A lesson we should all know from here with the mess that has been created in NZ.
(15-10-2023, 10:06 AM)SueDonim Wrote:
(15-10-2023, 09:59 AM)Lilith7 Wrote: It would have been a tiny start, a move in the right direction - & after several centuries it doesn't seem premature.

A tiny start in the right direction could be a millstone for the next several centuries. Better to take the time to get it right. A lesson we should all know from here with the mess that has been created in NZ.

I disagree; better to start now rather than leave it even longer & there's no reason it has to be done in a rush, after all. Taking plenty of time to consider all aspects makes sense & if that takes time then so be it.
Anthony Albanese is calling for a new national purpose to try to tackle indigenous disadvantage after the defeat of the voice vote.

https://www.stuff.co.nz/world/300989238/...referendum