Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How starlink will work with your mobile phones
Interesting read here.
Looks like the upgraded starlink satellites will essentially be an LTE cell tower.
I had heard something that they were going to add 5G capability to their satellites, but I don't think it would work at that range, but to be honest, I'm surprised that our existing phones will be able to work with this at all like they claim.
This will be quite a gamechanger if elon pulls it off.
I guess the lower orbit is what makes this possible, but 550km is still quite a long distance, from what the article suggests, it will be using far larger satellites with large high gain antennas, it makes alot of sense why they are wanting starship ready to launch asap, because it will allow more larger satellites to launch at once. I dont think the decay of their orbit is significant enough that they can't replace them as fast as they are decaying like some sources are suggesting.
Have you got the link to the article?

I don't know enough to follow all the tech detail, but do know someone already using Starlink for service way out in the sticks where there was no other option so it would be good to see what it says.

Thanks.
Sorry, forgot to paste the link!
I've worked with starlink in a few places, it's incredible, latency is pretty low and speeds of up to 400mbps is typical.
Have to help set it up on my friends boat at some stage.
https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2023/10/...g-in-2024/
Very soon we will forget what stars look like, we have so much junk circling us. As it is our city skies are too lit up to see much, but soon it will be all mammade sparkles...
(21-10-2023, 08:18 AM)Oh_hunnihunni Wrote: Very soon we will forget what stars look like, we have so much junk circling us. As it is our city skies are too lit up to see much, but soon it will be all mammade sparkles...

I remember as a 15yr old in 1957, biking to school after dark where the science teacher had found the location to look in the night sky.

Just think, the tiny speck in the sky was actually put there by man.

How the world changes..... Cool Big Grin
Corgi Wan Kenobi is watching you!
We should've paid more attention back then...
(20-10-2023, 09:14 PM)nzoomed Wrote: Sorry, forgot to paste the link!
I've worked with starlink in a few places, it's incredible, latency is pretty low and speeds of up to 400mbps is typical.

Thanks for that. As I was reading I was thinking "this sounds like what One (ex Vodafone) is promising" then at the end the last paragraph confirms that that is the case.

(21-10-2023, 08:18 AM)Oh_hunnihunni Wrote: Very soon we will forget what stars look like, we have so much junk circling us. As it is our city skies are too lit up to see much, but soon it will be all mammade sparkles...

I fully sympathise with the astronomers who have difficulty seeing past the manmade space pollution, but for the rest of us a) if we want to use cellphones and computers, etc, we have to accept that that is the future and b) SpaceX has done something to hide the satellites after they have been up for a couple of days to offset some of the sight pollution issue..

We like to "satellite watch" on clear nights, but unless we're lucky enough to have a brand new launch going over at the right time, it's pretty hard to see Starlinks. This link shows you where they all are (and the sheer number is pretty mindblowing) https://www.heavens-above.com/StarLink.aspx.
Yes. Mind blowing is the right word. Civilisation has its price.

Interesting isn't it, how we do this, the evidence is all around us, and yet people still claim climate change is not anthropogenic.
(21-10-2023, 04:03 PM)SueDonim Wrote:
(20-10-2023, 09:14 PM)nzoomed Wrote: Sorry, forgot to paste the link!

Thanks for that. As I was reading I was thinking "this sounds like what One (ex Vodafone) is promising" then at the end the last paragraph confirms that that is the case.

I fully sympathise with the astronomers who have difficulty seeing past the manmade space pollution, but for the rest of us a) if we want to use cellphones and computers, etc, we have to accept that that is the future and b) SpaceX has done something to hide the satellites after they have been up for a couple of days to offset some of the sight pollution issue..

We like to "satellite watch" on clear nights, but unless we're lucky enough to have a brand new launch going over at the right time, it's pretty hard to see Starlinks. This link shows you where they all are (and the sheer number is pretty mindblowing) https://www.heavens-above.com/StarLink.aspx.

If they'd put 'em all in equatorial orbits, shiny side up, could we ease off on the panic about global warming ? ?

Are you sure that wasn't the election?

Tongue
Entropy is not what
it used to be.
I'm into a bit of astronomy and haven't noticed anything yet, but we would always notice the odd satellite fly past your telescope.
The biggest issue is when trying to make long exposures with a camera when doing astrophotography.
Good news is the new generation of satellites are much less reflective