Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Winston gets it wrong
You have to wonder about this - he surely can't have forgotten but either he genuinely had or perhaps his age is catching up with him. Eother way, he'll never admit to getting it wrong.

https://www.stuff.co.nz/national/politic...pms-office

"NZ First leader Winston Peters has accused former prime minister Dame Jacinda Ardern of "an appalling lack of transparency" over what she knew about the 15 March terror attacks before they happened.
However, a spokesperson for the prime minister's office said the tweet from Peters was "clearly inaccurate". A timeline of what Ardern knew - and when - was reported widely at the time, and also addressed at a press conference the day after the attacks.

In a post on X (formerly Twitter) on Wednesday evening, Peters said: "We waited until today to find out, for the first time, that the Prime Minister's Office received information about the March 15 terrorist attack before the massacre took place.

At a press conference on 16 March, one day after the attacks took place, Ardern explained her office was sent the terrorist's manifesto minutes before the first shots were fired.
"I was one of more than 30 recipients of a manifesto that was mailed out nine minutes before the attack took place," she said.
"It did not include a location, it did not include specific details. I'm advised that within two minutes of its receipt in at least my office, it was conveyed directly to Parliamentary security."

In a second tweet on Wednesday night, Peters said he himself had not been informed at the time, but that the information was made public at a press conference.

Deputy Prime Minister Carmel Sepuloni said the tweets were "a bit bizarre" and incorrect, and called for an apology from the NZ First leader.
"I would hope that Winston Peters would apologise for those tweets because they are pushing misinformation," she told RNZ’s First Up on Thursday morning
A spokesperson for the prime minister said Peters' tweet was completely inaccurate and he "should remove the tweet and post a correction".
RNZ has asked Peters for comment."
in order to be old & wise, you must first be young & stupid. (I'm still working on that.)
Winston's 'Old Man Yells at Cloud' attitude brings his mental state into question and definitely doesn't bode well for him being in a position of power in the forming coalition.
(26-10-2023, 10:47 AM)harm_less Wrote: Winston's 'Old Man Yells at Cloud' attitude brings his mental state into question and definitely doesn't bode well for him being in a position of power in the forming coalition.

he definitely strikes me as having shifted significantly towards the everything is a conspiracy theory end of the spectrum recently...
This world would be a perfect place if it wasn't for the people.

Sharesies | Buy Crypto | Surfshark VPN | Cloud Backup
(26-10-2023, 01:14 PM)king1 Wrote:
(26-10-2023, 10:47 AM)harm_less Wrote: Winston's 'Old Man Yells at Cloud' attitude brings his mental state into question and definitely doesn't bode well for him being in a position of power in the forming coalition.

he definitely strikes me as having shifted significantly towards the everything is a conspiracy theory end of the spectrum recently...

That sounds just lovely if he has anything to do with any new govt; happy days/daze ahead... Rolleyes Big Grin
in order to be old & wise, you must first be young & stupid. (I'm still working on that.)
He's just being a politician.When did that ever require accuracy or relevance?
Entropy is not what
it used to be.
Bit like the fox offering the deputy job to one of those scorpion things...

https://whatsthepont.blog/2011/10/26/the...d-the-fox/
(26-10-2023, 03:34 PM)R2x1 Wrote: He's just being a politician.When did that ever require accuracy or relevance?

True, in fact more often the reverse seems to be almost a standard requirement.
That doesn't answer what peters was getting at.
I'm not sure why the media are having a go at him, Peters is implying he was never informed at the time but that jacinda knew about the email at the time, obviously he was informed later.
Thats the way I see it, don't know what the fuss is about.

Then the way the 111 call was handled is also bought into question.
Isn't this the whole point of the enquiry? Looks like more stuff is coming out and it appears the police never took the threat seriously, who knows if lives could have been saved, but I think its good that the enquiry is happening.
More quotes of Peters subsequent tweets to help put it in context:

"those political apologists and feckless media, there is an existing transcript of a phone call made by the Prime Minister to the Deputy Prime Minister at the vital time of a crisis when a terrorist had just massacred innocent people. Not once were we transparently informed of this information - such as the phone call her office made to the police - despite the obvious expectation and clear opportunity.

To excuse it because it was known at a ‘public press conference’ the next day, instead of information that should’ve been shared with the Deputy Prime Minister and coalition partner the day before, is as bizarre as it is biased."

"The gaslighting media can’t defend the facts out today that vital information of the locations of the terrorist attacks were known by the Prime Minister’s Office before it happened - yet the PM the next day said the police couldn’t act because they didn’t have that detail. The mosques weren’t even warned.

This was my point about critical information not being passed on.

This inquiry is to find out what went wrong and what steps could’ve been taken to save lives - no matter how inconvenient the facts are.

It is unfortunate that today’s media are more interested in click-bait and personal narratives rather than reporting the often inconvenient objective truth."
Unapologetic NZ first voter, white cis male, climate change skeptic.
Running a smear campaign through social media is tacky at the very least irrespective of whether he's got the moral high ground and the media shitstorm that Winston has unleashed must have Luxon suffering conniptions over WTF he has (or is) letting himself in for with the coalition he is being forced into.
Nine minutes...

Eyeroll.
It's not about the 9 mins, it's the fact it was withheld from him that matters.
Unapologetic NZ first voter, white cis male, climate change skeptic.
(26-10-2023, 09:21 PM)C_T_Russell Wrote: It's not about the 9 mins, it's the fact it was withheld from him that matters.

He says it was withheld - the fact that you are supporting him suggests that it's a load of lies.
I do have other cameras!
Of course it is about nine minutes. And Winston's ego.

Grandstanding, one of his favourite strategies.
I'm wondering if it's a genuine mistake and therefore evidence that he's lost the plot - ie a sign that he's too old for the job.
I suppose they could have asked the terrorist to hold fire for a few minutes while Winston was informed...
This world would be a perfect place if it wasn't for the people.

Sharesies | Buy Crypto | Surfshark VPN | Cloud Backup
(27-10-2023, 08:18 AM)Oh_hunnihunni Wrote: Of course it is about nine minutes. And Winston's ego.

Grandstanding, one of his favourite strategies.
Rolleyes Big Grin Big Grin
At a guess, I'd say that the former is roughly about the size of the latter...
Proof positive some of us shouldn't be on social media?
SurferJoe69 told us on PressF1 from America in real time that a live shooting in Christchurch was being broadcast via uTube I think it was.
It's not the least charm of a theory that it is refutable. The hundred-times-refuted theory of "free will" owes its persistence to this charm alone; some one is always appearing who feels himself strong enough to refute it - Friedrich Nietzsche
(27-10-2023, 11:58 AM)zqwerty Wrote: SurferJoe69 told us on PressF1 from America in real time that a live shooting in Christchurch was being broadcast via uTube I think it was.
So if Winston was really proficient in using social media he wouldn't have had to rely on Jacinda to bring him up to speed on the event.
He comes across like the drunken uncle who has just discovered this great new Twitter thing but really hasn't progressed beyond preaching to his buddies in a 1950's public bar.
(27-10-2023, 02:44 PM)harm_less Wrote:
(27-10-2023, 11:58 AM)zqwerty Wrote: SurferJoe69 told us on PressF1 from America in real time that a live shooting in Christchurch was being broadcast via uTube I think it was.
So if Winston was really proficient in using social media he wouldn't have had to rely on Jacinda to bring him up to speed on the event.
He comes across like the drunken uncle who has just discovered this great new Twitter thing but really hasn't progressed beyond preaching to his buddies in a 1950's public bar.

Nail on the head. Big Grin