Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Upgrade Win-11 Home to Pro, now what?
Ten-days ago I went through the process to 'Upgrade' my new ASUS laptop from Win-11 Home to Pro, paid the $209.
A confirmation email arrived, then nothing happened.  I'm still on Win-11 Home.
I've tried to contact Microsoft, impossible!
Any suggestions, please?
PeterE.
normally you would just need to enter the new license ley in the activation settings...
See if this helps
https://www.pcworld.com/article/1915961/...o-pro.html
This world would be a perfect place if it wasn't for the people.

Sharesies | Buy Crypto | Surfshark VPN | Cloud Backup
Yes, I've done all that and had order confirmation from MS, but with no Product key for me to unlock the upgrade.
I purchased via the MS Store method.
I asked MS for a call-back last week. Still waiting...
did you get the prompt to install windows 11pro?
Presumably you did a restart?

the process seems straightforward, but the only thing that stands out as possibly being a problem is if you signed into the store with a different Microsoft Account - any chance of that?

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/wind...2011%20Pro.

Have you tried looking in the Spam /Junk folder of your mail ?? Lots of mail get s marked as junk when in fact its legit.

Also Try looking at your MS account, under Order history, the code may be there.
Upgrades = Old bugs replaced with new Bugs.
In Order history the upgrade is marked as 'Complete'.
In Update History, only Comulative Updates are listed as being installed.
Nothing showing in the spam folder.

Could the new Code be coming via Snail Mail, hence the delay?
$209 ?? You were robbed. https://www.vip-cdkdeals.com/software/p2...34367.html
These are genuine
(27-10-2023, 01:02 PM)Still PeterEsp Wrote: In Order history the upgrade is marked as 'Complete'.
In Update History, only Cumulative Updates are listed as being installed.
Nothing showing in the spam folder.

Could the new Code be coming via Snail Mail, hence the delay?
the order history will only be referencing the order itself, the purchase, CC payments etc...

Their must be some link or reference or information somewhere on the purchase about what to do next...  have a closer look at the actual purchase documentation for a license key or link to start the process.  

Otherwise try logging into the MS account you used for the purchase and have a look at the order history
https://account.microsoft.com/billing/or...rosoft.com

Maybe there it will have a link to redeem it or the upgrade key itself...

or maybe post a screenshot of whatever info you have so we can have a looksee

Photo 
There is an ten digit order number.

As can be seen, the product info is greyed out and inactive.    
(27-10-2023, 01:57 PM)paulw Wrote: $209 ?? You were robbed.  https://www.vip-cdkdeals.com/software/p2...34367.html
These are genuine

LOL about as genuine as any stolen software. These are various keys that are fakes that may work for a short while only to actually come up as the illegals keys they are . Only have to look at the many reports.  example;  https://nz.trustpilot.com/review/vip-scdkey.com

If you look at genuine well known shops that only sell Legit software and then compare, unless its someplace like Techsoup, then a greatly lower than normal price is basically guarantee to be fakes in some form.  Old story if the great low price seems to good to be true its usually is.
Nothing stolen about these keys. There are quite a few reputable YT computer bloggers who use these site as sponsors with no problems. These are professional people doing a sort of job that Wainui does. Why pay M$ NZ$200 plus for a key that they sell to an OEM for $10??
(29-10-2023, 12:42 PM)paulw Wrote: Nothing stolen about these keys.  There are quite a few reputable YT computer bloggers who use these site as sponsors with no problems. These are professional people doing a sort of job that Wainui does.  Why pay M$  NZ$200 plus for a key that they sell to an OEM for $10??

Bollocks, please explain how genuine shops, Microsoft  etc sell OS software at a certain price ( lets say $200) and these places sell i it for $10. ???  Even Wholesale is NO WHERE even close to those $10 prices you suggest. ALSO why are so many posts world wide people saying they have trouble with deactivation after a certain time. Going by your theory, places are putting on $200+ markups -- yeah right.

This is one of the reasons Technet got closed down, Each OS license can be activated on 10 Computers, and at the time you could download 6 licenses per type of OS ( so 60 computers activated). Some brought the subscription ( around $300 / Year) and sold the licenses  cheap, Illegally.  Basically you could get every Piece of software MS had not just operating systems.

Seen PLENTY of times those types of cheap sales, may work OK for a while then it deactivates because its not legit. 1 example : a Enterprise Licence - worked fine till MS had it reported then deactivated it. Enterprise for example you pay  a license fee per computer.
(29-10-2023, 12:42 PM)paulw Wrote: Nothing stolen about these keys.  There are quite a few reputable YT computer bloggers who use these site as sponsors with no problems. These are professional people doing a sort of job that Wainui does.  Why pay M$  NZ$200 plus for a key that they sell to an OEM for $10??

You happen to read the Ts & Cs for that site?  Section 2 is quite interesting...

Usually they are sold outside the license conditions, maybe a corporate license or some such.  Certainly won't be legitimate...  That's why these licenses can't usually be added to an MS account on windows as they will get flagged and be deactivated

Oh well if you all have that much money to spend don't let me stop you. by the way you don't have to activate Win 10 or 11 for it to work 95% perfect. A few desktop things you can't do but from my testing it's not an issue and there are work rounds.
(31-10-2023, 07:49 AM)paulw Wrote: Oh well if you all have that much money to spend  don't let me stop you.  by the way  you don't have to activate Win 10 or 11 for it to work 95% perfect.  A few  desktop things you can't do but  from my testing it's not an issue and there are work rounds.

Its not a money thing. You'll find all honest places actually charge accordingly.

As for running without activation, Guess you like driving your car with a permanent flat tyre as well,  ?? and use cracked or other illegal software. 

Someone on the MS forums asked if you can run Windows in a VM without a license, yes you can, BUT also look at the highlighted area in the Picture.

Without activating software doesn't fully work, take servers, you can run trials and rearm when the time is about to run out restarting the clock, you can rearm 6 times before it wont do it again, after that the servers shut down and wont even fully start untill a license is installed.

of course if you want to run illegal software then don't expect any help from any legit business if you needed it. Not everyone can fix their problems.

Putting on my Moderators hat Now -- Just be careful what you link in the way of the software - Its very close to breaking the rules, 2.g

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

(31-10-2023, 09:29 AM)Wainuitech Wrote:
(31-10-2023, 07:49 AM)paulw Wrote: Oh well if you all have that much money to spend  don't let me stop you.  by the way  you don't have to activate Win 10 or 11 for it to work 95% perfect.  A few  desktop things you can't do but  from my testing it's not an issue and there are work rounds.

As for running without activation, Guess you like driving your car with a permanent flat tyre as well

That's not a very sensible analogy.

Windows 10, at least, doesn't seem to force activation like older versions. Microsoft seem happy to let you use it (probably in return for all the ads and tracking built in they're making money from anyway), at least currently (but maybe that will change, who knows).

The only downside is that certain things like wallpaper, taskbar settings etc are blocked, and you'll get an "unactivated" watermark. These hardly impact the use of the OS like a flat tire would impact a car.

In automobile terms, these are more like not being able to change your climate controls or the radio station.
My upgrade to Win-11 Pro has finally been completed.
I've had no response from MS in answer to my questions, but tried again last night and the install began without me seeing a Product Key to install.
Where may I find this new Product Key?
Thank you all for your interest.
PeterE.
(27-11-2023, 04:17 PM)Still PeterEsp Wrote: My upgrade to Win-11 Pro has finally been completed.
I've had no response from MS in answer to my questions, but tried again last night and the install began without me seeing a Product Key to install.
PeterE.

I would have thought it would have been in an email sent to you when you bought it, but you should be able to extract it using Produkey
http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/produkey-x64.zip

You might need to disable your antivirus software to run this as it is considered by some to be malicious...

(27-11-2023, 04:17 PM)Still PeterEsp Wrote: My upgrade to Win-11 Pro has finally been completed.
PeterE.

You dont actually need the key. If you ever change the Hard Drive or reinstall the Operating system, you  can download the ISO from Microsoft, and install, when it asks for a key you select I dont have a Product key, select pro and it will install and activate once on line. You will have a digital License linked to the Main hardware (Motherboard).

Using key finders wont work with Windows 10 or 11.

Even though you may enter a key, it will actually show as the generic  key. Windows doesn't show actual keys like earlier versions. 

You'll see one of the following when its activated on every Windows 10 or 11 PC

Windows 11 Pro
VK7JG-NPHTM-C97JM-9MPGT-3V66T
Windows 11 Home
YTMG3-N6DKC-DKB77-7M9GH-8HVX7

You cant activate using these keys, they will install OK but no go when trying to activate on a Motherboard that's never been activated previously.  That requires the Digital License.

You can transfer your License to new hardware though.

Your actual key you purchased should be in your MS account in the Order History.